• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones

Started by Spooky, November 29, 2010, 09:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinkTanker

Quote from: Spooky on September 19, 2011, 10:06:05 AM
I'm not a DW fan. I've tried to watch all the versions, but I just can't get into it.

The tenth Doctor (David Tenet) was okay, they had some great stories. But the 11th is amazing. But it isn't for everybody. It's only been around for 50 years.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Rosie

I'm not a DW fan. I've tried to watch all the versions, but I just can't get into it.

???
I never watched any of the older versions.
The 9th Dr. Christopher Eccleston is when the show rebooted. He is my doctor.
The 10th Dr. David Tennant I had a hard time with because I liked and missed my Doctor. Later I enjoyed him but never loved.
The 11th Dr. Matt Smith is amazing. I absolutely love him.

I recommend just watching the 11th and forget the past. He just completed one season. Second season just started.
Watch the whole season of Matt Smith.

You are MISSING OUT.  :doh:  :hug: :idea: :PSA: See The Doctor!

Rosie

Quote from: TinkTanker on September 19, 2011, 10:10:28 AM
The tenth Doctor (David Tenet) was okay, they had some great stories. But the 11th is amazing. But it isn't for everybody. It's only been around for 50 years.

:D

TinkTanker

Quote from: Rosie on September 19, 2011, 01:21:51 PM
The 9th Dr. Christopher Eccleston is when the show rebooted. He is my doctor.

Almost wore that to D*C, but it was dirty.

Rosie

FYI. I stopped reading Game of Thrones at page 104. I may go back and continue to 200 but not sure when.

TinkTanker

Rosie, it took me a while to realize this, but Matt Smith reminds me sooooooooo much of a young Bill Nighy. His inflections, his posture, everything. As I said, I kinda liked David Tenet and they had some really, really good stories but it didn't go to 11 for me until Matt Smith came along.

Eccleston was my first Doctor, but Matt Smith is my Doctor.

Rosie

Quote from: TinkTanker on September 19, 2011, 01:29:17 PM
Rosie, it took me a while to realize this, but Matt Smith reminds me sooooooooo much of a young Bill Nighy. His inflections, his posture, everything. As I said, I kinda liked David Tenet and they had some really, really good stories but it didn't go to 11 for me until Matt Smith came along.

Eccleston was my first Doctor, but Matt Smith is my Doctor.

Matt makes me miss my first doctor less but I still wish I could've had more stories with Christopher. I loved his manner, I felt safe with him. I trusted him as capable and good. David annoyed me at first and Matt has a great energy but seems like he has ADD.

I stand by my doctor. Also he didn't wear bow ties and fez hats. My doctor has a shiny black leather duster. Thinking about it it reminded me of Angel/ David Boreanaz.

Eric

I finished the first volume in the series and then watched for the third time the initial episode of GoT.
I was able to enjoy this episode in a completely new light, able to focus more on locations and characters and what was happening.  I look forward to seeing the rest of the episodes once again in this new light. Reading the stories with their faces fit perfectly for me.

Digby was right, I believe, in that having the characters be older helps the story along better, at least with our modern sensibilities.  We generally don't let 15-year-olds see Rated-R movies, much less run fiefdoms and wars.

Big reveal I missed in the show:
[spoiler]Ned lost his head by his own anciently-forged sword, Ice. Wow! The shame ...[/spoiler]

Spooky

I'm still, slowly, reading the first book. I find that I read Tyrion's dialogue exactly like Mr. Dinklage delivered it on the show. Same voice and pacing. It's weird that I don't do that with any of the other characters.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Spooky on September 23, 2011, 12:03:06 PM
I'm still, slowly, reading the first book. I find that I read Tyrion's dialogue exactly like Mr. Dinklage delivered it on the show. Same voice and pacing. It's weird that I don't do that with any of the other characters.

I do now .

Same goes for when I read a Sharpe novel ...
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life