• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

The Walking Dead

Started by TinkTanker, September 13, 2010, 09:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Quote from: TinkTanker on October 19, 2011, 11:49:49 AM
I knew somebody was in for it when I saw Robert Kirkman wrote this episode. Dude is like a unhinged version of Joss when it comes to killing folks and making life miserable.

Hah. I didn't realize he was the episode's writer. I'm surprised he changed the virus(by letting the dead stay dead), but maybe it was an executive decision?

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Eric on October 19, 2011, 11:40:19 AM
You guys are silly. We discussed some of those very concerns of his here in this very thread. 

I think they could have taken five minutes to go over basic gun safety and used the term "point and click".  And he's right that there are far-better vehicles out there than an old Winnebago. 

And I still think the deer scene was pretty dumb, but then I've actually been deer hunting (unlike the writers, probably). ;)

FWiW , the crappy RV is a character in the comics .
Andrea develops nicely ( patience , eh ? )

The deer scene was Rick's "sign" .

Or at least he thought so ....

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Eric

AllahPundit wants to like the show, but thinks it may be too soap opera-ish.

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Eric on October 20, 2011, 01:13:26 AM
AllahPundit wants to like the show, but thinks it may be too soap opera-ish.

Not going to please everyone I guess .

I like how fanboys were bitching over how the writers of the last episode pissed all over Kirkman's work in the comics ( specifically Rick and Carol praying to God ) without even realising Kirkman wrote the episode .

;)
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

AdmiralDigby

I will admit Lori's feeling "uncomfortable" with scavenging what she calls a "graveyard" was moronic .

But if you read the comics .....

;)
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Eric

One commentator complained about the tone of the show being wrong; that the comic is much, much more somber. 
That the characters in the show find time to occasionally laugh is one of the changes I do like. 
That there was so very little in BattleStar Depressica bugged me.

I mean, if people can laugh in a living hell like Auschwitz, why not in a zombie apocalypse and BSG scenario?

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Eric on October 20, 2011, 06:55:17 AM
One commentator complained about the tone of the show being wrong; that the comic is much, much more somber. 
That the characters in the show find time to occasionally laugh is one of the changes I do like. 
That there was so very little in BattleStar Depressica bugged me.

I mean, if people can laugh in a living hell like Auschwitz, why not in a zombie apocalypse and BSG scenario?

The worse something gets the more people turn to humour to help deal .
To not do so would be depression leading to an eventual insanity .

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

TinkTanker

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on October 20, 2011, 07:38:16 AM

Or in the words of that great sage and eminent poet Jimmy Buffett, "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: TinkTanker on October 20, 2011, 07:47:39 AM
Quote from: AdmiralDigby on October 20, 2011, 07:38:16 AM

Or in the words of that great sage and eminent poet Jimmy Buffett, "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Eric

Been thinking about the Winnebago.
One of the benefits for having an old (1973 or 1977) vehicle I thought might come into play is the possibility of readily-available parts.  I'm no 'bago expert, but it sounds like they came with old Dodge engines, including the 440 beast.  Not quite as popular as the Chevy 350 (which stayed in production many years), but still not bad.  Of course, you also have a mobile kitchen (if you have propane) a sleeping area which is much better protected than a tent, and potentially hiding places.  It's also got a ready-made lookout tower, as seen in this episode. Of course, the biggest benefit is fewer things to break down and possibly an easier engine to fix.

OTOH, I'd be tempted to go with a 4WD vehicle of some sort, just because they're so versatile. Or at least put up some basic defenses and window tint.