• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Spooky's UFC/WEC/PRIDE MMA Thread

Started by Spooky, November 05, 2008, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on October 28, 2010, 04:00:17 PM
Trit fought last weekend in Halifax .
He lost to an American after running out of gas in the third .

Bad cardio gets a lot fighters. I've seen fights were one guy is dominating, but just can't finish the fight and then BAM the cardio monster hits him and he ends up getting his arse kicked.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

AdmiralDigby

I didn't attend so I can't say , but Toni ( Joy's daughter) said he got caught in a couple of holds and that was it .
She says he was ahead until then ( not sure if that's true - Trit's Digby fans are pretty biased )

He's a really good kid though .
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Spooky

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on October 28, 2010, 04:00:17 PM
Trit fought last weekend in Halifax .
He lost to an American after running out of gas in the third .

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Tristan-Johnson-26919

So he's a 145'er. Now a UFC weight class (Come January). maybe we'll see him on TV some day.

AdmiralDigby

So he's a 145'er. Now a UFC weight class (Come January). maybe we'll see him on TV some day.

It's possible , but realistically , his shot at a big payday is pretty slim .

He fights mostly because he just loves the art .

( Tristan does not act up out of the ring - he's a first rate gentleman and is extremely polite , ergo - he lacks that mean streak found in most champions )
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Spooky

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on October 28, 2010, 04:27:54 PM

( Tristan does not act up out of the ring - he's a first rate gentleman and is extremely polite , ergo - he lacks that mean streak found in most champions )

I find that's true of most fighters. Obviously there are the exceptions.

I've had the opportunity to meet a few UFC/WEC champs/former champs and I have to say they were very, very nice people. Former UFC 185 lbs champ Rich Franklin is about the nicest guy you could meet He was very personable. Former WEC 145 lbs champ Uriah Faber was equally personable and went out of his way to to talk to the staff that was setting up the show he was a guest at and current UFC 205 champ Anderson Silva was very shy, but took time to talk to every fan that came up to him, even though his english is not very good (He's Brazilian).

Now that I'm thinking of it, every pro fighter I've met has been a gentleman. Time to drop some more names.  8)

Ivan Salavary, Matt Hume, Brad Blackburn, Maurice Smith, Reese Andy, Dennis Hallman (OK, he did act like a jerk to one of his employees when they were setting up an event), Matt Brown, Mario Miranda, Demetrious Johnson and Chael Sonnen.

AdmiralDigby

I've been to *one* fight ( Trit's loss in Digby , I did do the pictures though ) so i know nothing of the behavior of fighters .

But most hockey players are very polite too so perhaps it's something to do with discipline .

Can't explain basketball players though ...
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Spooky

*sigh*

The WEC is no more. They had their last event tonight. They will be folded into the UFC. I don't think it could have ended on a better note. The kick in the clip below was from the 155 WEC title fight. The winner (Anthony 'Showtime' Pettis) gets to face the UFC champ next year.

I don't know if you have to be a fan to really appreciate the the kick in the clip blow, but there has been nuthin' like it in MMA. It's like one of those moves you see in a movie, but know it could never happen in a real fight. Except it can.  :ninja: I believe in Ninjas now.

Anthony Pettis VS Ben Henderson Ninja Kick

ETA to add this animated gif of the kick.

Spooky

AdmiralDigby

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Spooky