• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

The Walking Dead

Started by TinkTanker, September 13, 2010, 09:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie

Quote from: Eric on July 10, 2011, 09:30:48 AM
Quote from: Rosie on July 10, 2011, 09:19:47 AM
What do people like about it? What's good? Why watch? And don't say the zombies. ;)

It's decent end-of-world drama.

Decent not great or good? Do you think I should give it a try or skip it.

I like happy, funny shows with actions. However I loooooove Sons of Anarchy and its not happy or funny but I love everything about it. Something just hits a cord with me and I can't place my finger on it. I eagerly await Sons of Anarchy each year.

Eric

It's not a happy or funny show.  It's very good, though I do find it goes over the top sometimes.  I'd say it's about on par with Zach Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead.  If you saw (and liked) that, you'd probably like this. It's no Zombieland or Sean of the Dead comedy, though. ;-)

Rosie

Quote from: Eric on July 10, 2011, 09:42:00 AM
It's not a happy or funny show.  It's very good, though I do find it goes over the top sometimes.  I'd say it's about on par with Zach Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead.  If you saw (and liked) that, you'd probably like this. It's no Zombieland or Sean of the Dead comedy, though. ;-)

Didn't see Dawn of the Dead. Are either horror and suspense?

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Rosie on July 10, 2011, 09:45:01 AM

They're very good , but very bleak as well .
What with being all Apocalypsey .

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Rosie

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on July 10, 2011, 09:50:44 AM
Quote from: Rosie on July 10, 2011, 09:45:01 AM

They're very good , but very bleak as well .
What with being all Apocalypsey .

So not scary just depressing "What with being all Apocalypsey." I like that word. :)

Spooky

Quote from: Rosie on July 10, 2011, 09:10:16 AM
All I know about this show is that it's about zombies and it started as a comic book.

Is it funny? What do people like about it? I liked Shaun of the Dead. Normally not a zombie person.

Zombies are creepy. I really don't like horror unless a BDH is in it.

I think it's very good. What makes it good is the story and the characters, not the zombies. Although the zombies are a huge plot device that drive a lot of the story. It can be pretty bleak at times, no where near as bleak as the books though, but that bleakness and how the poor souls stuck in this world deal with it is what's fascinating to me. It's a must see for me.

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Rosie

Quote from: Spooky on July 10, 2011, 11:13:52 AM
Quote from: Rosie on July 10, 2011, 09:10:16 AM
All I know about this show is that it's about zombies and it started as a comic book.

Is it funny? What do people like about it? I liked Shaun of the Dead. Normally not a zombie person.

Zombies are creepy. I really don't like horror unless a BDH is in it.

I think it's very good. What makes it good is the story and the characters, not the zombies. Although the zombies are a huge plot device that drive a lot of the story. It can be pretty bleak at times, no where near as bleak as the books though, but that bleakness and how the poor souls stuck in this world deal with it is what's fascinating to me. It's a must see for me.

Thanks!

Spooky

Dispatches From the Set - Season Premiere Director Gwyneth Horder-Payton

The director of The Walking Dead's Season 2 premiere talks about her affinity for horror, old-lady zombies, and her most memorable moment on The Walking Dead set. New Dispatches From the Set are released every week throughout the production.

Q: We've heard a lot about a highway snarled with traffic. What was it like to choreograph that?

A: It was a challenge. There were so many vignettes within the pileup -- all these connected bits, people under the cars who had to see certain people under other cars. I already had a plan -- and then we did a model -- but then to do it on the site, you still have to make sure you could get under the cars and pick the right cars to get under. You can't get under most cars, so it was like a combination of suburban soccer mom cars and redneck trucks.

Q: You directed Episode 3 of Season 1, which predominately took place at the survivor camp. How did this compare?

A: That was a director's dream. I was up there with a total of 18 actors who couldn't go to their trailers because it took too long, so basically we're up there with a semi-air-conditioned RV which is sort of not really working. So, people were just out there sitting and panting and sweating. After five days, this Stockholm syndrome set in and they felt very dependent on me. It was a great bonding experience. It was also a major character episode, where you found out who people were and what the relationships were between each other. For this episode, it felt like there was almost no dialogue. There was a lot of creeping around... But, I still had 11 actors who go around as one bunch, so it's this interesting little pipe tribe. It's like who goes first and then who goes next and why?

Q: You also directed one of the scarier episodes of AMC's The Killing -- Episode 3, "El Diablo." What makes you so adept at horror?

A: I don't know why that is. It's really weird. As a child, I did only read Edgar Allen Poe, Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, but that's not really horror. I wouldn't have thought that I would go necessarily in this direction. I guess it's the humans getting caught in extreme situations and seeing how they react. I certainly like dark, and I don't mind being in an atmosphere where I'm surrounded by chewed up bodies. I have a great picture of a zombie from last night. It's a very old lady sitting there all chewed up and in between takes, she was knitting. It looked like "Whistler's Mother" as a zombie.

Q: Does anything freak you out?

A: People behaving badly freaks me out. People not acting in good form, that does freak me out. But these people don't do that. I think that usually people are always trying to do a good job. Every once in a while, though, there's something else going on...

Q: What was the most memorable moment on-set?

A: Hmm, we went through several driving RV scenes. There was a small group of crew members in the back of the RV, Andy's driving and he's a very good driver, but he is going fast away from the exploding CDC and he has to make a hard right turn, and we're all in the back and the scene back there is just absolutely absurd: Everything is just flying. The boom guy comes literally flying six feet through the air and lands on the script supervisor. [Laughs]

Q: What has The Walking Dead taught you about surviving the apocalypse?

A: What we discovered is that when you suddenly find yourself a member of a very small tribe who can't wander very far, the notions of public and private change. People have to give moments of privacy to people even though they're sitting five feet away. So you have Lori and Rick who want to have a private moment, but can't walk away so they have a private moment within a group.

Q: Do you get the same feeling on set?

A: Now, that's interesting. The social structure of set life has nothing to do with post-zombie apocalypse. But people are thrown together to make a movie or make a TV show. As a director, I'm thrown in there and I work with these people intensely for seven or eight days, and you tell these people secrets the first day that you wouldn't tell even some of your friends. It happens. You have to bond immediately in order to get through this thing. And then, it's over and as director it's very painful because you leave and you may never see them again.

Click here to read a Season 2 set interview with The Walking Dead's writer, director and executive producer Frank Darabont

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2011/07/gwyneth-horder-payton-interview.php

Spooky

Spooky

'WALKING DEAD' BOMBSHELL: FRANK DARABONT STEPPING DOWN AS SHOWRUNNER OF SERIES

By Nancy Tartaglione

Although Frank Darabont was on hand for "The Walking Dead" Comic-Con panel just last Friday, Deadline on Tuesday reported the shocking news that the AMC show's creator, executive producer and director is stepping down as showrunner of the series.

There is speculation that Darabont might be off the show completely, but Deadline said talks are understood to be ongoing with regard to him possibly staying on in some capacity.

According to Deadline, word is the feature director never quite adjusted to the daily grind of producing a TV series.

Last December, he created waves when he considered forgoing a writing staff for Season 2 and assigning scripts to freelancers.

That plan was ultimately nixed with a full writing staff hired and Glen Mazzara brought in to serve as Darabont's No. 2. It is unclear if Mazzara will now assume showrunning duties

During the Comic-Con panel, Darabont gave no indication that he was considering stepping down, noting that conversations were currently under way to cast three major roles for the upcoming second season, The Live Feed points out.

Per Deadline, the behind-the-scenes turmoil has not affected production on the show, which continues as scheduled.

http://hollywoodwiretap.com/?module=news&action=story&id=64502