• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Spooky's UFC/WEC/PRIDE MMA Thread

Started by Spooky, November 05, 2008, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

Quote from: TinkTanker on July 31, 2009, 08:42:51 AM

To be honest, I never gave it even a first thought until you went on about it, but the local sports guys were pimping it this AM and I snagged a pair of passes. Looking forward to it.

Do you have the name of the promotion that is putting on the fight? Just curious. :)
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

TinkTanker

Not a clue. I'll find out and let you know.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Spooky

AdmiralDigby

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

TinkTanker

Quote from: Spooky on July 31, 2009, 08:52:45 AM
Quote from: TinkTanker on July 31, 2009, 08:42:51 AM

To be honest, I never gave it even a first thought until you went on about it, but the local sports guys were pimping it this AM and I snagged a pair of passes. Looking forward to it.

Do you have the name of the promotion that is putting on the fight? Just curious. :)

The name on the tickets is Dragon Fist Productions. Didn't realize it, but these are ringside seats.  O0

Spooky

Ring side!!! Don't get any blood on you. ;)

Spooky

Ring side also allows you to see the ring girls better.... Just sayin'

TinkTanker

Well, we got there about five minutes before things were supposed to start, so no ringside seats left. No biggie, I didn't feel like arguing the point at this point. Also, bear in mind that this was the first MMA type thing Montgomery has ever seen. All the 'talent' was pretty much local. Spooky, you'd recognize none of these names. Two guys had the nickname of "Badass" and they got their butts whipped. I think a couple of guys were from neighboring states, but most were from the tri-county area. I paid nothing for these tickets and I got my money's worth. Had I paid more than 10-15 bucks a pop I would have been PO'ed. I enjoyed it, but...

Anyway, first match tapped out in 47 seconds. There were 8-10 matches, only three of which went beyond the first round and only one of those all three. There was some nice wailing on folks, but the fights were too uneven, I guess. Bear in mind this was the first MMA stuff I'd even seen, but most of them were over in less than a minute. I did enjoy it, if I can score some free tickets next time, I'll go again. There were two times towels were thrown it, the ref stopped a couple of matches, it was pretty fun.

The funnest match was when one fighter came out to "Crazy Train" and the other came out to "Beat It". "Crazy Train" grabbed another the "Beat It" guy's head and kneed him in the face about ten times real quick. Knocked him out in like 30 seconds. All the while, the audience was yelling "You got beated, just beated..."

But the big disappointment were the co-main events. The fight between the ladies was terrible, and I found out why later. One was a very good fighter, and the other, well, fought like a girl. Turns out the other fighter had dropped out a few hours before the match and the loser subbed with about five hours to spare. The loser got a huge round of applause for being such a trooper.

But the biggest disappointment was the last fight. It didn't even last 20 seconds. 18 seconds in, the ref stopped the fight because one of the fighters said he broke his hand.  Nobody was happy. The promoter was standing in the back and when the ref called the fight and the booing started, he ducked out.

Anyway, there is another scheduled for November and again in February and I'll probably go again.

Spooky

QuoteThere was some nice wailing on folks, but the fights were too uneven, I guess.

That's quite common in small/start up promotions. I couldn't find much (nothing really) on Google about "Dragon Fist Productions", so I will assume they are a start up. Start ups are usually several local gyms banding together to promote their fighters.  They tend to pit their fighters against known lesser talent, for obvious reasons. They want to build their brand and have stars to point to for the next event. It also helps them draw new people to their gyms.

QuoteKnocked him out in like 30 seconds. All the while, the audience was yelling "You got beated, just beated..."

:haha:

QuoteThe fight between the ladies was terrible

There very few skilled female fighters. I think there may be only half a dozen here in Wa.. After these girls have faced each other a couple of times they have to travel to other states to face other girls with similar skills. The couple of local female fights I've seen have been one sided. I did get to see two of the top female fighters go at it when Strikeforce came to town.

Great fight and worth the watch. This was the first time a professional woman's mma event had 5 minute round like the guys (used to be 3 min). I was able to snap a few photos of these badass ladies during their entrances.

Strikeforce challengers - Shayna Baszler V Sarah Kaufman part 1
Strikeforce challengers - Shayna Baszler V Sarah Kaufman part 2

QuoteBut the biggest disappointment was the last fight. It didn't even last 20 seconds. 18 seconds in, the ref stopped the fight because one of the fighters said he broke his hand.

I've seen several fights called to early by refs.

That guy (broke hand guy) will never be a pro. This guy... Urijah Faber...

...snapped two bones in his right hand in the 1st rd of his 5 rd title fight and messes up his left hand in the 3rd, yet finished the fight. He lost, but that is one tough SOB. It was very cool getting to meet him last Friday.

[attachment=1][attachment=2]

Spooky

Wishing I could watch this fight live.

Get Psyched for Saturday! Carano vs Cyborg

I had the opportunity Chris "Cybog" Santos when he husband was in town fighting a couple of months ago. STRONG woman!  I'd love to meet Gina, not just because she's a hottie. She's a great fighter and has put WMMA on the map.

Gina Carano talks Cristiane Cyborg Santos - Strikeforce Aug 15th

I get to watch, but not till it fall off the Internets.