• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

The Walking Dead

Started by TinkTanker, September 13, 2010, 09:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

[spoiler]I kind of expected Otis to die because Rule #1 has become ingrained since at least Zombieland, and there is some truth to it.
I was a bit surprised that Shane put a bullet in his leg instead of just outrunning him or putting one to the head, because that's just subhuman*.
What's really surprised me (but shouldn't) is the implication by some online reviewers that Otis pretty much deserved to be hobbled and die gruesomely just because he was overweight.  Otis is a survivor and seemingly managed to save Shane twice successfully, including leading off the pack in the gym.

There's another theory out there that's rather intriguing, even if I don't really buy it:
QuoteSomehow either Otis told Shane he was bitten by a zombie, or Shane saw a bite mark or blood on Otis. He reasoned that if he shot Otis in the leg then he could escape and save the boy, if he didn't shoot Otis then they would both die, Otis would die anyway as he was infected.
Did you see why Shane shaved his head? Otis grabbed his head and pulled out hair, Shane thought he may have been scratched by Otis, so Shane shaved his head to check on the wound. The head shaving was a big clue.
[/spoiler]

*ETA:
[spoiler]Don't get me wrong -- I have no doubts about the depths of human behavior, especially in a zombie apocalypse, but one would hope there'd be enough empathy to at least not do what he'd not want happen to himself![/spoiler]

AdmiralDigby

[spoiler]It's ok to be prejudiced against fat people . Well , as long as they're male . Folks making excuses for Shane are doing just that . Excuses . I mean look , he put a gun on Rick in S1 , laid a savage beatdown on Carol's (deserving) husband and would have raped Lori at the CDC . Shane is damaged . To be honest I like the character . Proves that the humans are more treacherous than the zombies . And as the series progresses we will be shown that very thing time and again . Brilliant ep btw . With just two episodes Otis has cemented himself firmly into Walking Dead lore .[/spoiler]
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Eric

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on November 01, 2011, 06:22:17 AM
[spoiler]It's ok to be prejudiced against fat people . Well , as long as they're male . Folks making excuses for Shane are doing just that . Excuses . I mean look , he put a gun on Rick in S1 , laid a savage beatdown on Carol's (deserving) husband and would have raped Lori at the CDC . Shane is damaged . To be honest I like the character . Proves that the humans are more treacherous than the zombies . And as the series progresses we will be shown that very thing time and again . Brilliant ep btw . With just two episodes Otis has cemented himself firmly into Walking Dead lore .[/spoiler]

And, in one paragraph you've said something with more sense than people who who get paid to write pages of stuff.

Comics spoiler:
[spoiler]BTW, I've heard the Gov. makes zombies look like bunny rabbits.  [/spoiler]

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Eric on November 01, 2011, 06:26:48 AM
Quote from: AdmiralDigby on November 01, 2011, 06:22:17 AM

And, in one paragraph you've said something with more sense than people who who get paid to write pages of stuff.

Comics spoiler:
[spoiler]BTW, I've heard the Gov. makes zombies look like bunny rabbits.  [/spoiler]

[spoiler]The Governor makes human cannibals look like bunny rabbits . However , if you read the books he has his own rationalizations . And the people who follow him do owe him a deep debt . What with his being able to create a haven for them . It's the "at what cost" that Kirkman explores during that arc . Horrific yet compelling .[/spoiler]
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Eric

Anyone happen to read any of these on an ebook or tablet?  Or if it is even possible?

TinkTanker

Quote from: Eric on November 01, 2011, 10:33:13 AM
Anyone happen to read any of these on an ebook or tablet?  Or if it is even possible?

It was one of the reasons I went with an iPad, the screen size is something like 80% of a comic page. I don't know how easy it would be to read on a smaller screen but I guess you could try. Probably zoom and read half a page at a time. I've heard of people reading comics on an iPod, though my eyes aren't that good.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Spooky

I've tried reading them on my EVO, but it's not fun. I don't even like reading them on my laptop. I'll take a big computer screen any day.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

TinkTanker

Quote from: Spooky on November 01, 2011, 10:45:03 AM
I've tried reading them on my EVO, but it's not fun. I don't even like reading them on my laptop. I'll take a big computer screen any day.

At work I have a 19" monitor that can be switched from landscape to portrait, so that's nice at work. At home I have  27" monitor or the iPad. Most of the time I use the iPad.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Eric

Tried a .CBR on the NST.  I only looked at a couple pages -- The images are crisp and look great, but the screen size is just too small since a lot of panels take up large portions of the page -- or even the complete page.  I can drag the screen to different quadrants, but it's just not the same effect as seeing the whole panel (and a bit more work).  It'd almost have to formatted to only show a single panel (and perhaps via landscape-mode) to make it work.  Too bad.

Eric

Sneak Peek from next week's episode.  Shane tells the group what happened to Otis:

The Walking Dead Sneak Peek: Episode 204, "Cherokee Rose"