• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

The Walking Dead

Started by TinkTanker, September 13, 2010, 09:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

I liked that they stepped it up with Darryl too.  The first season had him pretty stereotypical.

Andrea should have been able to get her gun.  In fact, the episode read like an anti-gun (or arguably "gun safety") lesson inside of a zombie apocalypse, which must be a first.  Lesson #1 is to be certain of your target, which was implied when they took guns away from everyone and later displayed in the deer scene.

Speaking of the deer, that was the tamest buck ever.  Maybe it was just happy to see something that was not undead.

I'm a little tired of mysteries like whatever the CDC guy whispered to Rick. As I indicated earlier, it just reads to me like they haven't figured that part out yet -- kind of like the monster in the Lost premier.  Also, the zombie horde/herd suddenly showing up within throwing distance even with two men with binoculars/scopes watching was a little silly. 

I was glad Rick's wife (I forget names) chastized the crew.

Overall, I enjoyed the show quite a bit.

Eric

AdmiralDigby

Also, the zombie horde/herd suddenly showing up within throwing distance even with two men with binoculars/scopes watching was a little silly. 

Dead ground .

Many a battle has been won or lost when formations just appear out of nowhere within a few hundred yards .
( I've read enough Sharpe novels to drill it into my head  :haha: )

But yeah , a simple fold in the ground ( or a blind crest ) can hide a lot of things .

That's how I'm choosing to interpret it at least .
;)
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

AdmiralDigby

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Eric

AdmiralDigby

I am puzzled by Darryl's choice of ride .
Not the fact he has a motorcycle which is imo a good choice - quick , nimble and able to traverse broken ground , but that he's on a big giant noise-maker . He should have a rice-burner or something .

I know , the chopper is "cool" and by the time a zombie hears you , you're probably long gone ......

Still , I'd think he'd want something more quiet ....

( oh , and was I the only guy waiting for a car alarm to go off when they were clearing the road ?  :laugh: )

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Eric

:rofl: If you're going to go out, go out with style?

BTW, I just rewatched the herd scene.  They both looked from the ground back, then Dale went up top and Rick to the front for a couple minutes or so.  It's actually plausible they just didn't look good enough to their six o'clock or even that the horde came from the woods. Between that and "dead ground", I'll stand down.

I was also glad the church scenes didn't end up being some Christian-slamming kind of thing.  I'd say in such apocalypse we'd have all varieties -- the kind asking with prayers (Carol), the ones who don't know (Rick) and even the angry-at-God types (which I don't think were shown there, but Andrea would have been a good choice).

TinkTanker

I know this has been nitpicked to death, but how come big brave guys with guys send women and children unarmed to pilfer through cars in the midst of the zombie apocalypse? How come these dead inside the cars are just gross and corpsified and not gross and zombified? I thought it was established that you die, you come back. Or was that just the comics? It can't be that people died inside their cars, turned into zombies and then starved to death as zombies ala 28 Days Later. Because the zombie woman in the park that Rick went back to kill surely would have starved to death with no lower half.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Eric

Mark's the graphic novel expert, but my guess is that they have to be bitten.  Obviously just dying or even getting zombie blood on themselves isn't enough.
It was a little weird there were many corpses in the cars. Did they get pinned/hurt in the accident?  Was it sheer fear of zombies outside that kept them from ever leaving?  Or is it like Serenity where some just don't get up?

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: TinkTanker on October 18, 2011, 06:55:13 AM
I know this has been nitpicked to death, but how come big brave guys with guys send women and children unarmed to pilfer through cars in the midst of the zombie apocalypse? How come these dead inside the cars are just gross and corpsified and not gross and zombified? I thought it was established that you die, you come back. Or was that just the comics? It can't be that people died inside their cars, turned into zombies and then starved to death as zombies ala 28 Days Later. Because the zombie woman in the park that Rick went back to kill surely would have starved to death with no lower half.

In the comics anyone who dies comes back .
I'll guess it takes a zombie bite for the show .

My take on the car-dead is that those were people who stayed inside their vehicles until they died .
Either from (non-zombie) injuries , suicide or lack of water/food .
I could see people staying inside the "safety" of their cars while zombies shuffle about eating the traffic pile up survivors .

Heck , I can see a lot of them perishing from heart attacks .

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze