• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Spooky's UFC/WEC/PRIDE MMA Thread

Started by Spooky, November 05, 2008, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

So a local guy (Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson) I've had the pleasure of covering for NWFS a few times is making his way up the ranks of the UFC. He fought last weekend and won a very, very close decision. Some fans are upset with the decision, but now that they found out that he fought half the fight with a broken leg... They should stop complaining!

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/6/3/2204651/demetrious-mighty-mouse-johnson-reveals-to-mma-junkie-that-he-broke

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8025/djaiq.jpg

Odd couple - Mighty Mouse and Sefan Struve

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2784/mousescrape.jpg

Some of my photos of Mighty Mouse:

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

AdmiralDigby

Digby's own Tristan Johnston took a unanimous decision last night in the Score Fighting Series at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

"William Romero vs. Tristan Johnson
Round 1
Johnson presses forward quickly, but Romero circles away, using his kicks to keep him at bay. Romero launches an errant kick, Johnson lunges into a right cross that just misses. Johnson presses further, and catches a Romero kick. Johnson lands a clean right counter that puts Romero on the mat. Romero is instantly lucid, kicking his legs to keep his lanky foe from attacking from the top. Johnson stands in Romero's guard, dropping rights and lefts as Romero twists around his leg, looking for a leglock. Johnson cracks Romero with two more hard rights, and the Bellator veteran scrambles back to his feet. Johnson lands another long right, and follows with a hard inside low kick that Romero takes flush. "Leon" explodes with a head kick that rings Johnson's bell. Johnson drives forward for a takedown, but gets stood up along the fence. Both men pummeling, and Romero tries to drag Johnson to the canvas with over-unders. Johnson reverses and gets a late takedown at the bell. Sherdog.com sees the round 10-9 for Tristan Johnson.

Round 2
Left straight and a head kick lands for Romero, and he follows up with a takedown into Johnson's guard. He gets to side control, punching away at Johnson's ribs, but the Nova Scotian gets back to his feet. Back in the standup, Johnson is scoring with combinations of punches as well as kicks to the head and body. Romero is content to throw single strikes. Romero continues to launch head kicks which are blocked. Left straight and a right hook from Johnson backs Romero up. Body kick lands for Romero. Hard right lands for Johnson. The pace is beginning to slow, with both men bleeding from the nose and mouth. Romero attacks Johnson with a salvo of wild strikes at the bell. Sherdog.com sees the second frame 10-9 Romero.

Round 3
Hard low kick from Romero. Johnson counters a jab with an overhand right, and he follows with a one-two that finds that mark. Romero seems to be tired, and goes for a bodylock takedown which Johnson shrugs off. Romero lands a right cross and a counter left before clinching, but Johnson escapes him again. Left-right for Johnson. Romero comes back with a right cross and a front kick. Very close round, but Sherdog.com sees it 10-9 for Tristan Johnson, and 29-28 for him overall.

Official scores: All three judges score the bout 29-28 for the winner by unanimous decision, Tristan Johnson.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Score-Fighting-Series-Results-and-Play-by-Play-33001

:headbang:
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

AdmiralDigby

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Spooky

Seems like a good. Maybe we'll see him in the UFC someday.

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Spooky on June 11, 2011, 01:05:14 PM

I sometimes think he's just too nice to be anything approaching a dominant status .

:-\
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Spooky

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on June 14, 2011, 06:02:06 AM

I sometimes think he's just too nice to be anything approaching a dominant status .

There are a lot of really, really nice guys in the UFC and I've met more than a few. There is also a fair share of asshats in the UFC, but being nice doesn't mean you can't be a competitive fighter. Mighty Mouse, who I linked earlier, is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. You would never know he was a fighter if you saw him in street clothes and had a chance to talk to him.

I honestly think being a good MMA fighter comes down to working very, very hard and working every day to try and master as many martial arts skills as you can. The more techniques you can master the bigger your swiss army knife is when you get into the cage and that allows you to take advantage of the mistakes the other guy makes. Sure there will be the super athletes that can out speed/power their opponent, but if the super athlete is lacking in skill, then one day he will run into the guy who isn't a top notch athlete, but has much more skill and the guy with the skill will kick the super athletes arse.

Obviously the UFC has it's fair share of super athletes that have a lot of skill and those dudes are hard to beat, but there is always someone who is leaning and mastering the skills better and they always find their way to the top.

Check out this guy, Roy Nelson, he does not look like a fighter, but is a a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under one of the  Gracies and is one of the top heavyweights in the UFC.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1261&bih=859&q=roy%20nelson&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Anyway, to make a long story just a bit longer, I think Tristian would only be limited by how hard, or not hard, he trains, not by how nice he is.  :D

AdmiralDigby

I'm under the impression Tristan's a beast in the gym .

So , hopefully he gets a shot ....

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Spooky on June 14, 2011, 10:07:15 AM
Quote from: AdmiralDigby on June 14, 2011, 06:02:06 AM

There are a lot of really, really nice guys in the UFC and I've met more than a few. There is also a fair share of asshats in the UFC, but being nice doesn't mean you can't be a competitive fighter. Mighty Mouse, who I linked earlier, is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. You would never know he was a fighter if you saw him in street clothes and had a chance to talk to him.

I honestly think being a good MMA fighter comes down to working very, very hard and working every day to try and master as many martial arts skills as you can. The more techniques you can master the bigger your swiss army knife is when you get into the cage and that allows you to take advantage of the mistakes the other guy makes. Sure there will be the super athletes that can out speed/power their opponent, but if the super athlete is lacking in skill, then one day he will run into the guy who isn't a top notch athlete, but has much more skill and the guy with the skill will kick the super athletes arse.

Obviously the UFC has it's fair share of super athletes that have a lot of skill and those dudes are hard to beat, but there is always someone who is leaning and mastering the skills better and they always find their way to the top.

Check you this guy, Roy Nelson, he does not look like a fighter, but is a a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under one of the  Gracies and is one of the top heavyweights in the UFC.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1261&bih=859&q=roy%20nelson&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Anyway, to make a long story just a bit longer, I think Tristian would only be limited by how hard. or not hard, he trains, not by how nice he is.  :D

Awesome
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Spooky

Spooky

This fight took place last night. You'll think it is over at one point and then you are like WTF just happened!

congo kos barry after almost losing