• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Summer means smokers!

Started by eforhan, June 25, 2010, 06:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Quote from: TinkTanker on September 05, 2012, 05:42:58 PM
Pee-mixed in the flour?!? Ewwwww!!!!

:haha:

I'm so not going to fix that.  :rofl:

TinkTanker

Quote from: Eric on September 05, 2012, 05:46:26 PM

:haha:

I'm so not going to fix that.  :rofl:

You make maybe one typo in years on this board and I'm on it like white on rice!  :loloeo:
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

AdmiralDigby

Actually sounds like urine for a treat .

:D
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Spooky

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

TinkTanker

Eric

Tink, AmazingRibs has a new handy-dandy tool to help find grills; including his reviews.  There's also a "made in America" option, if that's a factor.  I'm not sure what he says about Webbers, but I know they've always been a solid (but expensive) brand with good warranties.

We have a Huntington Rebel and it's been a good grill.  It can warm-up to about the 700-750 mark, which gives a decent sear (nothing's as good as a hot charcoal fire for sear, though).  I like doing two-zone cooking with it.   Not being able to lower the grates is the big downside.  I'm thinking of getting some Grill Grates, whch that guy highly recommends, and taking out one grill to put one of those directly on the Flav-R-Bars, or whatever those shields between the grates and the fire are called. 

Haven't done  much grilling or smoking lately other than two thick portherhouse steaks a few evenings ago.  A couple months ago we did a couple of Boston butts for a potluck with our local friends.  I'm not doing the brining method any more -- way too much work, sometimes hard to get salt (when it's not canning season) and I really don't notice much of a difference, if any. 

On the grate below the two 8lb butts I put a 5lb brisket flat which I'd injected the night before with a strong beef base.  Having it on the lower grate would let the pork drippings smother the beef with love.  I think in the end it was only a hint of pork, but it was one of my better briskets.  My recipe for briskets pretty much is this:  inject beef base; cook low-and-slow; and possibly the most important step is to be sure to cut the beef against the grain.

Dang. Now I'm hungry again. 
We might cheat and go try some of those burnt ends Famous Dave's is advertising. 

AdmiralDigby

On the grate below the two 8lb butts I put a 5lb brisket flat which I'd injected the night before with a strong beef base.  Having it on the lower grate would let the pork drippings smother the beef with love.  I think in the end it was only a hint of pork, but it was one of my better briskets.  My recipe for briskets pretty much is this:  inject beef base; cook low-and-slow; and possibly the most important step is to be sure to cut the beef against the grain.

http://cdn.epicski.com/3/36/1000x500px-LL-36ae9ce3_don%27s_barking_bear.jpg
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

TinkTanker

Quote from: Eric on April 27, 2013, 08:56:37 AM
Tink, AmazingRibs has a new handy-dandy tool to help find grills; including his reviews.  There's also a "made in America" option, if that's a factor.  I'm not sure what he says about Webbers, but I know they've always been a solid (but expensive) brand with good warranties.

Finally pulled the trigger on this one: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/grill/weber-one-touch-gold-225-charcoal-grill

I love the convenience of gas, but charcoal cannot be beat for searing and flavor, IMHO. Plus you can smoke a couple racks of ribs, so there's that.

Ann is down at her sister's for the day, so it looks like tomorrow I'll break it in.

Eric

Quote from: TinkTanker on April 27, 2013, 03:18:26 PM
Quote from: Eric on April 27, 2013, 08:56:37 AM

Finally pulled the trigger on this one: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/grill/weber-one-touch-gold-225-charcoal-grill

I love the convenience of gas, but charcoal cannot be beat for searing and flavor, IMHO. Plus you can smoke a couple racks of ribs, so there's that.

Ann is down at her sister's for the day, so it looks like tomorrow I'll break it in.

Awesome! I'm a fan of charcoal too; I've just gotten lay about it in the last few years. Still use lump charcoal for the old WSM smoker, though. ;)
Had I known a couple years ago there were options for your grill like the Smokenator or even to turn it into a wood-fired pizza oven, I'd probably have gone that way myself. 

What do you start yours with?  I'm a big fan of chimney starters, though I understand Weber's starter cubes work very well.  I haven't used charcoal lighter fluid in years.

TinkTanker

I intend to go with a chimney starter. And I'll probably get the Smokenator in a few weeks. The pizza doohickey looks good, but I don't know if I can explain to Ann just how necessary it is. Maybe if I just don't mention the price tag...