• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Summer means smokers!

Started by eforhan, June 25, 2010, 06:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinkTanker

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on June 07, 2012, 12:06:18 PM
I do have to qualify though - being from beyond the wall food up here is probably different

Like chilli for example - I've never had it without beans and we tend to mix in several kinds all at once ....

Honestly, most people south of the wall have it with beans as well. I just like being a food snob and saying beans do not belong.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Spooky

beans, beans they're good for your heart, the more you fart, the more you fart the better you feel, so eat beans for every meal!
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Pearl@32

"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Spooky on June 07, 2012, 01:13:35 PM
beans, beans they're good for your heart, the more you fart, the more you fart the better you feel, so eat beans for every meal!

I don't fart

;)
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: TinkTanker on June 07, 2012, 01:04:19 PM
I do have to qualify though - being from beyond the wall food up here is probably different

Like chilli for example - I've never had it without beans and we tend to mix in several kinds all at once ....

Honestly, most people south of the wall have it with beans as well. I just like being a food snob and saying beans do not belong.

I totally understand .
Get us started on seafood ...... or stuff like rapure pie .

:)
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Pearl@32

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on June 07, 2012, 05:03:38 PM
Quote from: TinkTanker on June 07, 2012, 01:04:19 PM

I totally understand .
Get us started on seafood ...... or stuff like rapure pie .

:)

Oh, I have to Google that.

Rappie pie is a traditional Acadian meal, sometimes referred to as "rapure pie" or "râpure".[1][2] Its name is derived from the French "patates râpées" meaning "grated potatoes." It is a casserole-like dish traditionally formed by grating potatoes, then squeezing them through cheesecloth. The liquid removed was replaced by adding hot broth made from chicken, pork or seafood along with meat and onions, and layering additional grated potatoes over the top .[3] Presently most people will put the potatoes in a juicer to remove the liquid. The rest of the process remains the same.

It is thought that rappie pie has its origins in the Acadian Expulsion, among Acadians who chose to live out their exile in Boston. This opportunity to meet and interact with other immigrant groups would naturally encourage a sharing of cultural recipes. It may have been German or Swiss immigrants who taught the Acadians their technique for using grated potatoes in their recipes, but whoever it was, this proved to be an important tip for those that returned to Nova Scotia when the expulsion was lifted. When they returned, they found that their fertile land had been given to New Englanders lured north by the promise of farmland. The harsh, rocky land that remained was excellent for growing potatoes, if little else, so the Acadians used them to fill out dishes made with what game was available.[4]

The Rappie Pie is very famous with the french ppl here. They are so famous.. that if they had any gathering.. one cannot do without the Rappie Pie. The Rappie pie is made of grated potatoes, chicken (or whatever meat) patates râpées, hence the name "rappie" pie. Once the potatoes are grated and the water removed, hot broth is added along with meat , onions and pork fat to make a delicious all-in-one meal that some prefer to eat with a little butter or molasses! It is one of the most favorite meal amongst the Acadians of Southwest Nova Scotia.

Look at all that! 

_______

Swiss Rösti is related to Rapure Pie, which I actually used to make, with grated potatoes, butter, salt, pepper and grated Swiss cheese. Got introduced to it from Swiss neighbors. My mom makes killer scalloped potatoes (and wonderful sage dressing) that I have not even attempted to make. But I have surpassed her in the chili and cornbread dept.  :D

OMG, it's 10pm and I'm so hungry I'm going to have to make a snack!
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

AdmiralDigby

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Eric

We haven't smoked too much this year but probably have grilled more.

I bought a Hormel pork butt at our local ALDI on its Wed Meat Special day (or whatever it's called) thinking I was getting a great deal and paying what it should be instead of the high prices they are around here.  It was horrible, horrible meat. 

Just the other day we did a bone-in 10lb ham "shank" end for Pearl's parents.  As before, it came from the same processing plant.  Threw it in the smoker with a couple handfuls of apricot wood chunks. Smoked it for two hours then wrapped tightly in foil w/some chicken broth and (because of impending rain) finished it in the kitchen oven @ about 260F/hour  .  At about 130F internal temp, took it out and lathered it in dijon mustard, patted dark brown sugar into it and drizzled honey over it all.  Cooked at about 375 for maybe an hour.  Let it rest 30 minutes.  Nummy!

One new thing I've done isn't smoker-related but makes for a nice treat.  We had one single sunflower sprout.  When the seeds were ready, I soaked them overnight in brine then roasted them in the oven the next day.  I've never done it before, but wow they are tasty.  I don't think Pearl and her parents are too hot for them since the shells are still on -- but cracking the shells is how I'm used to eating them.  Moar for me. ;)

Eric

I also cooked an amazingly-simple, yet very tasty home-made beer bread.  It's even simpler if you did as I did and used self-rising flour, which lets you eliminate the salt and baking powder from the recipe (since it's already pee-mixed in the flour).  Picture is from the website, but ours looked just as good:

Homemade Beer Bread

3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
3 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 5" x 9" loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Add beer and mix until combined (Dough will be sticky). Place dough into loaf pan. Pour melted butter over top of loaf.

Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes, or until top is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean from center.

Serve warm or cold.

TinkTanker

Pee-mixed in the flour?!? Ewwwww!!!!
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"