• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Summer means smokers!

Started by eforhan, June 25, 2010, 06:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

This is interesting.  I guess if I ever tire of messing with charcoal, I can convert my WSM to propane for about $86.

TinkTanker

"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Eric

I could totally support PROPosition ANE!

Tink, you'd asked if I'd still go the same route if given a second chance. If wishes were horse steaks and "I'd know then what I know now" (including how much I'd end up spending on a grill, smoker and accessories), I may not have gone this route. Or, at least take a harder look at combo grill/smokers that are propane or pellet. I've been reading lately that pellet smokers are great since they burn wood and use electric fans for convection cooking (though don't get hot enough to sear for grilling steaks).

Eh, it's all just dreaming... sort of like thinking that I could actually make a zombie-proof home and truck with the right resources. ;)

Eric

A local friend was off work today and decided to finally break out his smoker his brother-n-law had gifted him a couple years ago.  I was guiding him through it, although I had to LOL some that his wife had only brought home a 3lb butt since you really want 5-8lb. Hopefully my suggestion of the Texas Crutch helped speed the process and make it moist.

Anyway, here's his brand new bouncing baby pork butt. It's okay to say, "Aw, cute!"  :grill:

TinkTanker

Eric

Quote from: TinkTanker on November 11, 2011, 02:08:20 PM
Looks good enough to eat!

Re-read my last line as if it were dripping in sarcasm, envy and lust -- because it was.

Half tempted to pick up some pork or biscuit from the local Dave's Barbecue tonight.

TinkTanker

That serves one around here.

Eric

I built a rain box for my electronics, based on their suggestion.  Looks like we'll be smoking a couple of small butts Thursday, and the "flat" part of a brisket (5.25lbs) on Friday.  Kind of wish I'd have gone for the whole brisket (12lbs+) since it's just a little extra work for a lot more meat.  It was the plan until I saw the $25 sticker price on the 5.25lber alone ($4.79/lb).  Cripes. I remember buying tenderloin for filet mignon cheaper than that not so long ago.

Build This BBQ Electronics Rain Box For Your Thermometer, iQue, Guru, Stoker!

Eric

Stubborn piece of boston butt.  I put the 8.25lber on at 2:30AM and it's still a couple hours or more away from being done, plus one hour rest.

Still should be tasty though. 8)

Spooky

Quote from: Eric on November 17, 2011, 01:33:20 PM
Still should be tasty though. 8)

I don't believe you. Prove it to me.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.