• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Summer means smokers!

Started by eforhan, June 25, 2010, 06:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pearl@32

Quote from: TinkTanker on July 04, 2011, 02:10:50 PM
Please don't shoot me, but in the hot girl on grill action picture, is that the camera angle or a bit of a baby bump?

That was the first thing I noticed when I saw the picture. That's my "faux-baby fat." Believe me, you guys will know if we're pregnant. :D
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

TinkTanker

It looked like your shirt was poofing out to me. Ann thought otherwise. Anyway...
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

TinkTanker

Okay, Eric! I need to live vicariously through you! Dish on the grilling, stat!

Eric

Quote from: TinkTanker on August 20, 2011, 08:51:38 AM
Okay, Eric! I need to live vicariously through you! Dish on the grilling, stat!

We haven't really done much smoking lately, but still grill a few times a week.  Lately, I've been obsessed with some fresh burgers that have minced jalapeno, bacon and cheddar cheese mixed in-- made by our local butcher.  This AM I had intended to buy the ingredients and give it a whirl myself, but I gave in to the quick-and-easy (it was getting close to lunchtime). 

Dagnabbit, now I'm hungry again.

Eric

So we tried freezing two of the pork butts from our 40lb extravaganza. I haven't been pleased with the results at all--just seems less flavorful and more dry (I wrapped this one in foil with 1/2 beer before warming-up).  I know I've read some people like to freeze them in apple juice or barbeque sauce; this would seem to be why.  They're eatable --with enough sauce.
Otherwise, I don't think I've mentioned a very simple pork chop recipe:

Brush olive oil onto pork chops, liberally spread GrillMates Applewood rub on all sides.  Cook as desired.

The olive oil helps it stick, but also helps the spices go into the meat.  I like to trim the fat first, but that's cook's preference.  Pearl can't get enough of this recipe.

TinkTanker

I gotta try that pork chop recipe stat!

Pearl@32

Hey! Have you tried that recipe? We just recently had Applewood rub chops.
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

TinkTanker

Quote from: Pearl@32 on September 22, 2011, 06:54:43 AM
Hey! Have you tried that recipe? We just recently had Applewood rub chops.

Might have to try it this weekend!

TinkTanker

Eric, if you had to do it over, would you still go with the Weber smoker or a gas smoker or electric?

BTW, Amazon has wood chips on sale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YO3GN8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Eric

Ah man, that's a good deal.  I'm loaded up with chunks and chips for the moment.

I'd be tempted to go gas for the simplicity; possibly a charcoal Weber grill with a Smokenator add-on, since it's just the two of us and the occasional charcoal-seared steak would be fantastic. The WSM is great, but it's a little large for the two of us, and charcoal can be a bit of work.

I confess there's some caveman satisfaction to using charcoal and it seems to wow the city folk around here.  But if you're looking to buy, as silly as it is to suggest:  Go with the one you think you'd actually use the most.