• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Summer means smokers!

Started by eforhan, June 25, 2010, 06:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Quote from: TinkTanker on June 19, 2011, 04:38:42 PM
I was wondering how things were going in smokerland. Me, I still haven't got around to any this year. Of course, when it is hovering around 98 all ai ya day, the last thing I want to do is stand near something hotter.

Yesterday I did about 50 chicken winglets for our monthly get-together with local friends. Same recipe, but the last basting had spices (paprika, italian spice mix, chile powder, cayenne powder) added to the LA hot sauce.  They turned out really good. 

Been grilling a ton.  We both love the taste, but it really is nice to not heat up the house from cooking on the stove. Now I just need an actual patio instead of dead grass and bare spots.

Spooky

Quote from: Eric on June 19, 2011, 04:53:28 PM

Been grilling a ton.  We both love the taste, but it really is nice to not heat up the house from cooking on the stove.

When I win the lotto, I am going to hire you as my personal chef.  :haha:
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

Quote from: Spooky on June 20, 2011, 08:42:19 AM

Woohoo!  What a commute, though!

Eric

At 14 hours, I dubbed the brisket done and brought it inside to rest for a couple hours in a small cooler.  It was too dark and too late to mess with any more (I know, turn in my smoker's card).  I had previously cut off a bit of the thinner part to try "burnt tips" with a thin BBQ+beer sauce.  They were pretty tasty.

It was far too late to try the rest of the brisket.  I think I'm going to re-wrap it in aluminum foil with some beer and let it steam in the grill for a couple hours today before again letting it rest again.

The very first brisket I made, earlier this year, was fantastic--melt in your mouth kind of stuff.  The second one was "okay" but got better the next day with a little more oven lovin'.  I'm not sure how this one will be, but it seems a bit tough to the touch.

By the way, when did beef brisket get as expensive as steak? I think I paid over $4/lb?  Yikes!

Spooky

Quote from: Eric on June 20, 2011, 08:56:01 AM
Quote from: Spooky on June 20, 2011, 08:42:19 AM

Woohoo!  What a commute, though!

I'll buy an old SR-71. That should make the commute less than 2 hours each way.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

6.25lb beef brisket flat:

Day 1: A whole bottle of Weber Burgundy Beef dry rub; a couple large hickory wood chunks,  14 hrs on the smoker. 2 hours resting in a small cooler.
Day 2: Re-wrapped in aluminum foil and a cup of beer; cooked for 2.5 hours at ~225F.  Rest 30 minutes.

It turned out very good. It's important to cut against the grain; the first few slices I did was along the grain and I could tell a difference.

So good, in fact, I cut very thin slices this morning and we bad fried burgundy beef brisket strips and over-easy eggs for breakfast.  Nummy!

I still don't feel like I have it down-pat, though.  When I can get it to being tasty and on time, I'll feel better.

AdmiralDigby

we bad fried burgundy beef brisket strips and over-easy eggs for breakfast.

All of a sudden , my Heinz canned Spaghetti and Meatballs that I lunched on seems lacking ......

:P
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

AdmiralDigby

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees