• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Summer means smokers!

Started by eforhan, June 25, 2010, 06:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

So we're having a fairly small get-together tomorrow, here; I thought I'd do some Boston butt. 
For a while now, I've been wanting to see just how much I could successfully smoke -- the most so far being around 15-16lbs, usually in small ~5lb cuts . I went to the butcher with the intention of buying 3-4 butts and hitting the 20lb mark. So naturally, when he brought out a 19lb vacuumed pack I went slightly mad and asked for another.  Now I have four ~9-10lb butts when one would have been more-than-enough. :D

My lovely wife just smiles and nods and thinks I'm slightly daft.  I wanted to give the neighbors about 5lbs anyway just to get to know them a bit better (I probably should have just invited them over).  And they can be frozen whole (or half) and heated up again later.  It really isn't much trouble to do some extra when compared to what it takes to do only two. 

BTW, free pork this weekend if you're in town.   :-\ :grill:

Edit: Ew, spelling.

TinkTanker

I get a kick out of when you post stuff like this. I really need to get the back patio cleaned up so I can get to the smoker and/or grill and do this my own self and stop living vicariously through your smoking/grilling.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Eric

Thanks for putting up with me, Tink! 

Pearl's mom said she wanted to get a smoker.  At first, I suggested a gas one, but later I suggested just using two-zone, indirect-heat smoking on their Weber propane grill.  If they can monitor their grill temp, from what I've read it'll do just fine; save the smoker for when (if) they get more serious. There's no doing 40lbs of butts on a small propane grill.   8)

Spooky

Quote from: Eric on May 27, 2011, 06:59:44 AM
So we're having a fairly small get-together tomorrow, here; I thought I'd do some Boston butt.

What Boston butt may look like.

http://nouman.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Lisa-Edelstein99.jpg
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

AdmiralDigby

What Boston butt may look like.

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Pearl@32

"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

Eric

Smallest butt came off at 16 hours, the next at about 18 and the last two at 19. 

After giving our neighbors one and sharing one with friends, we still have the two largest for leftovers.

Eric

I don't think I've ever eaten so much pulled pork in my life.

Pulled pork plate, hot pulled pork sandwiches, cold pulled pork sandwiches, pan-grilled BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, pulled pork salad, pulled pork burritos, pulled pork nachos -- that's-that's 'bout it.

Forrest Gump - Shrimps

Eric

I am cooking the beef brisket that never gets done. 

6lbs; had planned on 9 hours but already past that time.  I'll be lucky if at 12 hours I can put it in a crutch (wrap in aluminum foil + `1 cup of beer and put back in the smoker). 

The smoker's being fickle too; I think she's on strike.

TinkTanker

I was wondering how things were going in smokerland. Me, I still haven't got around to any this year. Of course, when it is hovering around 98 all damn day, the last thing I want to do is stand near something hotter.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"