• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Summer means smokers!

Started by eforhan, June 25, 2010, 06:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

We're finding ourselves freezing more than we used to, with having so much extra smoked meat, getting 5lb bags of Angus ground beef (grown by the butcher), and expectations of a crazy amount of the wonderful Fortex green beans coming from this year's garden.  So, I've been thinking of getting a vacuum-sealer of some sort.

Most of the machines out there cost $80+ and need special bags.  I just happened to notice one on Amazon that is manual and can be used with any quality ZipLoc style bag:  ThriftyVac Food Vacuum Packing System.  Color me intrigued.

This looks like something that should be sold on late-nite TV by Ronco, or someone.  In reality, it was a successful 2013 Kickstarter campaign.  It's a simple idea:  Zip your bag enough to leave a one inch opening.  Put the bag inside the larger ThriftyVac bag and close that one.  Attach the pump and pump away.  When the air looks gone, zip that final one inch and pull it out of the bigger bag. 

Sealing a raw steak:  https://youtu.be/AG3eXJp-qug

I think the product has changed a bit since the Kickstarter campaign to address a few concerns like bag-tear.  They also offer a special mason jar lid to let the user pump out the air, and a similarly-used wine bottle stopper.  They also offer two types of Ziploc-style bags that are said to be of sturdier construction.

We bought one unit plus a 20ct box of their bags for $32.90 via Amazon, shipped.  It sure should beat using a drinking straw to suck out the air.

Spooky

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

Quote from: Spooky on July 07, 2015, 01:16:20 PM
cool gadget!

A few days ago I froze a bunch of cut fresh green beans.  The bags I bought along with the vacuum sealer felt much better than the generic Zip Loc-style bags we otherwise had.  In no time at all, most air is sucked out.  Then quickly finish zipping the seal and it's ready for freezing.  So far, the seal has held up nicely.

I would put this somewhere above "sucking air out of the bag w/a straw" and probably below a mechanical sealer.
I'd imagine it wouldn't do so well with a liquid in the smaller bag.

Spooky

I like how Mark Watney from the Martian dealt with preserving the potatoes he grew in the habitat on Mars. he just threw them outside and Mars sucked out all the water and froze them.

Eric

I haven't been this excited for something grill-related perhaps since getting our grill, some five or six years ago.

We don't have a Weber grill, but the Huntington was still in great shape; it just needed a good cleaning, some new burner tubes, and a new set of grates.  The old grates had chunks of porcelain falling off, which I doubt would be tasty or healthy to eat. 

Instead of buying replacement grills, for about $35 more we ordered the above GrilGrates.  They're coming today, and my hope is that I can completely replace the old grills rather than just setting the new ones on top the old.  Meathead at AmazingRibs.com loves them.

Bottom line is that we spent $30 on new tubes, $30 on a screw extractor (rusted tube bolts), and $115 (after coupon) on GrillGrates; hopefully ending up with a better-than-new grill.  We shall see tonight, if everything comes before dinner time.

Spooky

nice. I am going to send this to my brother. he grills all the time in the summer.

Eric

Quote from: Spooky on March 29, 2017, 09:00:26 AM
nice. I am going to send this to my brother. he grills all the time in the summer.

There are 10% coupon codes out on the innernets; not too hard to find. Saved me around $11. 

I just installed and seasoned mine.  I was concerned that being only five or six inches wide (you connect them) that my grill wouldn't be able to hold them sturdy. They fit almost perfectly and cover all but about 1/2-1" on either end.  They say to just use a cooking oil to season, but I tried my usual cast iron seasoning of coconut oil.  That didn't work out as well as I hoped, and should have warmed it up first.  Room temp coconut oil is solid like Crisco so I had some chunks fall below the grates.  Still got the job done, though.

The spatula that comes with it is sturdy and HUGE. Well, larger than I expected.  On the one hand, it'll be nice to lift a burger instead of scrape it off.  And on the other hand, I kind of like tongs for doing that.  A combo tong-spatula like this one but built for this grill could be great.

The biggest down side I see so far is not being able to see the flames very well through the holes; at least, not on a sunny day like today.
The heat seems to distribute quickly and evenly, as one may expect from cast aluminum. They also look smexy as heck.  Can't wait to try them out.  I think I'll throw some hickory chips between the ridges. 

Spooky

Quote from: Eric on March 29, 2017, 02:08:32 PM
... at least, not on a sunny day like today.

What's a sunny day?

QuoteOf the 178 days that had passed since the water year began, Seattle had 123 with rain or snow, 149 with more than 70 percent cloud cover, and just nine -- that's nine, as in two more than a week -- with less than 30 percent cloud cover.

Seattle has had almost no sunny days since October

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/weather/article/Seattle-has-had-almost-no-sunny-days-since-October-11034669.php

Eric

:haha:  Been so long since I lived out there, it slipped my mind!

No pics, so it didn't happen, but the burgers were delicious. Wonderful grill marks (if you're into that kinda thing). I need some smaller wood chips to make smoke better.  The spatula worked like a charm.