• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Summer means smokers!

Started by eforhan, June 25, 2010, 06:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinkTanker

Leaning very heavily to the WSM.

You need to do YouTube videos. By default you'd have to be better than most of the slugs that I've seen.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Spooky

Those pictures look so good.  :grill:
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

Haha, thanks guys! 

Tink, I looked into the PBC more and I'm intrigued by it now.  It definitely has a bottom to it for ashes (they still warn not to put it on a flammable material).   

A 13lb brisket in 5.5 hours? I had to split my brisket in two to attain that kind of cooking time because I didn't want to start 20-24 hours in advance.  Granted, I cooked at a lower temp. but maybe with the PBC it doesn't matter so much. 
https://youtu.be/Z3Q3qaCVsdY

Eric

We invited our older neighbor lady, who watches our cats when we're away, over for some pulled pork.  Weather was cool for early July, but just enough rain to make everything muddy (no patio). They took longer than normally to cook, so I had to cheat and finish them in the oven at a higher temperature.  Then, ninety minutes after she was supposed to show up we called over there and it turns out she was expecting a confirmation call earlier from us:doh:  I guess we both missed that lesson in courtesy somewhere, if it is indeed one. 

No pics, so it didn't happen.  But if it did happen, I'd say the jury is out on whether or not I burned the sugar by a higher-than-350 temp.  The meat's cooler temperature may have kept it cool enough to counter the heat.  Pearl would say the bark tastes sweet, so perhaps I got lucky.  If, I actually did smoke any food, of course. 

At this point, I don't think I'll ever Texas Crutch pork butt again.  The bark is worth it. Woof woof.

Maybe if I get un-lazy today before chopping up the second, larger piece for freezing I'll take a picture. 

Spooky

Eric

Ugh.  90s in Washington was horrible back when I lived there.  I presume it's still true twenty years later that almost none of you have A/C?

Spooky

Phyll33

I remember when we moved here to NH and built our home we had central air put in and the builders looked at us as if we were nuts. All I heard was you don't need it except for a few
months. I told them you don't need heat in Florida except for a few months but it is nice to have when you do. Of Course the AC story they tried to sell was a lie. It gets very humid here
so an air conditioner is a must unless you wanted to be very uncomfortable all summer long and that is for at least 4 months .  I don't believe in toughing it out like the natives do, that
kind of pride is foolish. Except for the initial cost of putting it in it's no skin off their back and you don't have to use it all the time if you don't want to so what is the big deal. Now new
homes up here all have central air.

Spooky

Our summers are very unpredictable. We usually get about one week of 90+ weather, but most of the summer is 75-80'ish. We've  had 5 straight days of 90+ so far this summer. So the rest of the summer should be pretty comfortable.

Forecast shows a turn to normal for the rest of the month. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/seattle-wa/98104/july-weather/351409

Phyll33

I remember Baltimore being awful in the summer the same as DC and Northern VA. My family always hightailed it out of town to Ocean City or a shore on the Back River.
My grandmother had a place on the Back River that she just moved to in the summer. Fond memories of those places, she had 3 different ones when I was little, not all
at the same time of course but lots of fun fishing and crabbing and family reunions. :)