• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Summer means smokers!

Started by eforhan, June 25, 2010, 06:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Got my first smoker in ten years, the other day.  It's a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5".

Huge improvement over the $60 Wal*Mart special I had back then.  I cooked a 6.5 lb Boston butt on it yesterday, and it came out fantastic.
My major complaint is that the lump charcoal fell through the charcoal grate, but $10 and a trip to Home Depot should fix that issue.  Just buy a second grate and put it at 90 degrees from the first one. 

It was on sale at AimToFind for $239, with free shipping.  That's a fantastic deal, as other places are $279-299.  I had it sent via regular shipping (for the freeness) and it got to me within two or three days.  Granted, they're only coming from PA, but that's pretty spiffy.  If you are looking for a smoker, they're still running the special.

My first preference would have been a Big Green Egg, but who's got that kinda money?

Not sure what we'll do for a grill.  Propane be tempting.

TinkTanker

One of the first things Ann said when I told her that you and Sara bought a home was that now you would be able to smoke and grill out.

That looks like a heckuva good deal on a great smoker. I've always been partial to Weber products and if I didn't already have a decent smoker I'd look long and hard at that one. Big Green Eggs are great, but the problem is that with them being ceramic, once they crack they are cracked.

I grill with propane just because it is so darned easy. All I have to do is preheat and in ten minutes the steaks are over the flames. The more you grill, the better the taste, as all the fat and juices and stuff drip down onto the burners.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Eric

Quote from: TinkTanker on June 25, 2010, 06:45:02 AM
One of the first things Ann said when I told her that you and Sara bought a home was that now you would be able to smoke and grill out.

Haha. You know us so well! ;)

QuoteI grill with propane just because it is so darned easy.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward one for the "easy" part, myself.  It'd be kind of nice to just fire it up and grill.
Granted, with a chimney starter it only takes perhaps 15 minutes to start... but cleanup isn't exactly fun.

TinkTanker

Cleanup with propane is you turn it off and close the lid and go eat. When you fire it up next time, scrape down the grill with a wire brush once it is heated up, lube the grill, you are good to go.

Pearl@32

"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

Eric

You make it so very tempting, Tink!

Pearl, you're just silly.

Spooky

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

TinkTanker

Saxon

We have never been 'outdoor cookers'. We got Tom a BBQ for one Father's Day a few years back, I think it was used once, maybe twice when my sister was living in the apartment out back while she sold her house.

My inlaws have a gas bbq and they do cook often (always good). I love to eat it, just do not like the outside where it's hot.

I did find an article about solar ovens that I thought was cool....

Phyll33

We use a gas grill a lot. All year round. We don't sit outside to eat just bring the food in. Hubby loves to
cook on the grill and Boy I'm not going to discourage him. Saves me a lot of work. :)

Yes, you read right. All year long even with a foot of snow on our deck.  :laugh: We had company in Alaska
one night and he grilled steaks outside and it was -30. Everyone got a kick out of it. :)