• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

*chomp* *chomp* *chomp*

Started by Saxon, February 22, 2009, 01:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

Quote from: Phyll33 on February 24, 2009, 12:35:41 PM

As a reader I have a hard thyme understanding those that don't like to read books. I could never enjoy
a Kindle. I need that real book to cosy us with and those pages to turn. I love my book shelves filled
with books and my favorite stores have always been book stores and I join a library before anything
when I move to a new place. I'm a bookworm and proud of it.  :)

To each her own.  ;) But don't knock till ya tried it.  :P

Reading on a Kindle can't be explained properly (at least by me, but I'll try anyway). I read a ton of reviews and articles before I bought mine and thought I knew what to expect when I turned it on and started reading, but my expectations weren't even close to reality.

It's Not like looking at a computer screen, it's Not like reading text on your phone (or other hand held device). Now that I've read a number of books on it, it doesn't feel any different than reading a dead tree book now. I hold it like a book, it looks like a book on screen and it's about the size of a paperback. I take mine with me everywhere and I have access to 80+ books right now. Reading on a Kindle IS reading a book and most of the people who buy Kindles are Bookworms. I wish I could find the survey, but it said that 60-70% of Kindle owners read between 4-8 books a month. I'm on my 21st book since I got mine in early December. I still read dead tree books, because publishers don't release every book in a digital format.

If you ever get the chance to play with one, I think you will have a different view. :)
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Spooky

Quote from: TinkTanker on February 24, 2009, 12:42:37 PM
I want to continue to expand my carbon footprint as much as I can, so no Kindle for me.

Every thyme someone buys a Kindle, Algore wins.

But they are made overseas, so you got the sweatshop thing going for you if you buy a Kindle. And who knows how much pollution goes into the air during the manufacturing of the plastics and such that make up the Kindle. >:D

fark Al Gore... but... I love you Barack!

TinkTanker

They should be made of arsenic and razor blades and Styrofoam. Then, maybe.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Spooky

Quote from: TinkTanker on February 24, 2009, 01:07:19 PM
They should be made of arsenic and razor blades and Styrofoam. Then, maybe.

There is arsenic in some circuit boards and the little solder point on the back of the boards can be pretty sharp. Oh, oh and my Kindle came packed in Styrofoam!!!

Phyll33

Quote from: Spooky on February 24, 2009, 01:01:36 PM

As a reader I have a hard thyme understanding those that don't like to read books. I could never enjoy
a Kindle. I need that real book to cosy us with and those pages to turn. I love my book shelves filled
with books and my favorite stores have always been book stores and I join a library before anything

To each her own.  ;) But don't knock till ya tried it.  :P

Reading on a Kindle can't be explained properly (at least by me, but I'll try anyway). I read a ton of reviews and articles before I bought mine and thought I knew what to expect when I turned it on and started reading, but my expectations weren't even close to reality.

It's Not like looking at a computer screen, it's Not like reading text on your phone (or other hand held device). Now that I've read a number of books on it, it doesn't feel any different than reading a dead tree book now. I hold it like a book, it looks like a book on screen and it's about the size of a paperback. I take mine with me everywhere and I have access to 80+ books right now. Reading on a Kindle IS reading a book and most of the people who buy Kindles are Bookworms. I wish I could find the survey, but it said that 60-70% of Kindle owners read between 4-8 books a month. I'm on my 21st book since I got mine in early December. I still read dead tree books, because publishers don't release every book in a digital format.

If you ever get the chance to play with one, I think you will have a different view. :)

:)

I doubt it. I'm kind of set in my ways and at my age pretty much know what I like. I'm sure my husband
would find a gadget like that fun, since men do like their toys. Nothing will take the place of a real book for
me unless I go blind and have to listen to books on tape, heaven forbid. I can't stand those either. I've
been reading books since I was 3-4 years old and it represents more to me than just the reading of words.
It's hard to explain if you don't have that same connection. I like the feel of a book, I like the smell of a book,
I like to turn pages.  :) What can I say, a new toy can't replace that for me.

Saxon

Now that my hands are starting to 'work' better, the muscles are telling me it's been awhile since the message to move as gotten through...but that it's the problem. For me, as soon as I get 'cozy', I get sleepy! Now, it could just be that I end up in my 'nest' when I'm in the middle of a dose of meds, and the 'cozy' plus the 'comfy' just put me to sleep....but just can't seem to get more than a page or two read before I start nodding off.

Hopefully, once I'm out of the neck brace I can start trying to read in my chair (now it tips my head in a painful position), cuz I really do miss reading. I finally have glasses that allow me to see, and my hands are mind again....just gotta get past the drowsies! lol!

Phyll33

I know about the drowsies. I used to very much be a book a day person, then 3-4 a week. Now with the
computer it has cut my reading time drastically so I usually only get about 3 hours at night which of course
is right before bed and after a long day so I tend to be sleepy too. Being the bookworm I am however I
haven't stopped getting all the books I would have read if I was still that 3-4 book a week person. They are
piling up dramatically.  :)

Saxon

Gingi has been really stressed lately, with work and personal life stuff. She took a 'Disney reading day' for herself and wandered the park, book bag at the ready, camera in tow. heh. She must have been in heaven. She posted some beautiful pix on her facebook. I"m going to ask her if I can sell them on zazzle as postcards, cuz some of them are frame worthy and would look good in little collections of framed prints together.