• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Started by Eric, March 17, 2015, 05:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Corned beef is in the crock-pot for some low-and-slow cooking.  :headbang:

Trying this recipe, only with Killian's Irish Red instead of Guiness (it's what I had on-hand):  http://www.thekitchenwhisperer.net/2013/03/17/guinness-crock-pot-corned-beef-cabbage/

*edited to note that Killian's is a lager and Guinness Draught is a stout, so switching could lead to unhappy results. We'll see!

Spooky

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

I'm so glad I posted this, because we're cooking CB&C for a bunch of friends Saturday.  I couldn't recall the recipe.

At least, I hope this is the one we used.  haha

Spooky

Eric

So we bought a 6qt Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 to go with our Cuisinart 6qt slow cooker, in hopes of haiving room-enough to cook everything.  I didn't realize that most of the Instat Pot's volume is vertical, and can only be filled to about the 4qt/1gal line, max.  So, instead of using the above recipe I think I'm going with this one--which may intrigue you, Spooky.  I mean, the only liquid it calls for is two bottles of Guinness ...

I'm intrigued by the thought of braising the cabbage and cooking the veggies separately, anyway.  I got normal Guinness Draught Stout instead of his extra-stout, but hopefully that lowers the risk of the bitterness of which some complain.

We're also doing a locally-cured Hahn's ham for that one friend who doesn't eat beef (and we don't even know why she doesn't).  Hopefully I can mimic the veggies well-enough for her too.

Eric

So, the new recipe worked out great.  We kept getting compliments, pretty much to the point of embarrassment.  It had a nice flavor, and with careful cutting (always try to cut against the grain with brisket), it wasn't chewy and any gristle'd been dissolved.  I found a simple Guinness-based ham glaze recipe that  did very well.  I actually forgot the mustard, but it worked just fine.

I don't think corned beef is something most of our friends eat, so it was fun to treat them.  They brought a Guinness-based beef stew, a non-beer fish appetizer and edamame snack, and one couple brought a cake the man worked on most of the day:  The cake sugar was from boiled-down Guinness, and the icing had some sort of Irish whiskey base--and it was too good.  It was kind of funny to us because we all once joked that we should have a meal that was completely alcohol-based.  Bunch of lushes. ;)

Spooky

My sister-in-law made vegan Shepard's Pie. It was pretty good.

She wanted to make Corned Beef and Cabbage, but my brother is on a vegan diet for health reasons. He has some serious IBS and eating meat and dairy hit him hard.