• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

S2 EP7 - ‘A Man Without Honor.’

Started by Spooky, May 13, 2012, 09:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinkTanker

In the first season, the book hits the high points of the book and does so very well. To the point where in retrospect you really don't have to read the first book, but reading the first book is highly recommended.

I read, or at least tried to read, the second book concurrently with watching the second season and I didn't know WTF was going on.

I think there is just too much to be told that they cannot do it in such a short time in the second season. As well as they achieved that goal in the first season, they have failed it in the second.

I loved the first season and bough the blurays. I can't see that happening this time.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

AdmiralDigby

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: TinkTanker on May 14, 2012, 09:23:30 AM
Does this season suck because they are deviating so much from the books or am I just expecting too much (like it to be as awesome as last year)?

This season does not suck .
Unless awesome is the new hand washing .

;)

I'm a bookwalker and I approve of most of the alterations .

( I do wish they'd simply have more episodes so we'd see more subplots and characters )

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

TinkTanker

Must be me then.

It is just 'meh' for the most part.

Whereas this year there is one really good scene per show (for the most part), last year was packed with good scenes. At least to me.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Eric on May 14, 2012, 10:18:03 AM
For me, each episode disappoints because it too-often feels like a particular scene should show up only to be drug on until an episode later.  By the time it gets shown, my anticipation is gone.  It's just too soap-opera for me in that aspect.

And honestly, I think they ruined Arya's story.  That alone could have made for a whole series. ;) And WTH have they done with Dany's khalasar?

(I say "disappoints" but I do still find it an entertaining show)

I will admit having a bit of boredom over Jon Snow's scenes but all was made good with "You know nuthin' Jon Snow."
:squee:

And the shot with the dawn breaking over the mountains while Jon and Ygrette ?
The sun has risen just that much more when they exit stage left .
It's like they had ten minutes and nailed it .

:)

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: TinkTanker on May 14, 2012, 12:14:04 PM
Must be me then.

It is just 'meh' for the most part.

Whereas this year there is one really good scene per show (for the most part), last year was packed with good scenes. At least to me.

Not you .
You've seen excellence and expect it as a standard .
S1 was indeed a standard that'll be hard to match .

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Eric

Next episode is #8, but #9 -- Blackwater -- is the one written by GRR Martin and has epic wartime potential (there I go again with getting hopes up).  It's directed by Neil Marshall, best-known for the films The Descent, Dog Soldiers, Doomsday and Centurion.

We won't be buying the BRDs either. I'm not sure about resubscribing to HBO for next season.

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Eric on May 14, 2012, 12:42:35 PM
Next episode is #8, but #9 -- Blackwater -- is the one written by GRR Martin and has epic wartime potential (there I go again with getting hopes up).  It's directed by Neil Marshall, best-known for the films The Descent, Dog Soldiers, Doomsday and Centurion.

We won't be buying the BRDs either. I'm not sure about resubscribing to HBO for next season.

Blackwater is something like half the season's budget .

I've enjoyed the foreplay .
I trust there'll be a happy ending .

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Pearl@32

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on May 14, 2012, 12:08:13 PM
Quote from: TinkTanker on May 14, 2012, 09:23:30 AM
Does this season suck because they are deviating so much from the books or am I just expecting too much (like it to be as awesome as last year)?

This season does not suck .
Unless awesome is the new hand washing .

;)

:loloeo:

I've been entertained, but it's been a bit slow. Just too much story to fit into 10 episodes. Perhaps they can break up the next book.

The Icelandic scenery was quite stunning.

[spoiler]ps. Knowing that the Shadow creature was not revealed in the book like it was in the show, wow. That would have added to the creepy factor.[/spoiler]
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

AdmiralDigby

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze