• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Five Scientific Explanations for Game of Thrones‘ Messed-Up Seasons

Started by TinkTanker, May 01, 2012, 07:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinkTanker

1. A wobbly planetary tilt

2. An extremely elongated orbit

3. A complex Milankovitch cycle

4. Oceans, currents, and winds

5. A combination of all factors

http://io9.com/5906300/5-scientific-explanations-for-game-of-thrones-messed+up-seasons
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Eric

Eh.  We have had warm periods, ice ages and mini-ice ages; it's not really a stretch to think the same could happen there (if in shorter periods). Years-long dark nights could be tougher to explain, but then Westeros isn't on Earth, is it? Maybe a planet or moon eclipses the Sun for years?

But since they've figured out the long Winters, maybe they can explain the rest of her story: ;)

Best Scene from GAME OF THRONES episode 'Lord Snow'!

TinkTanker

So when they show the map of the world in the opening credits does that imply their world is the inside of a Dyson sphere?

Spooky

I gather the world in which Westeros resides has a yearly seasonal cycle like we do, but the long Winters/Summers seem, to me, to be analogous to the Milankovitch cycles mentioned in the article. It's just a shorter and more unpredictable cycle.

This gets debated ad nauseam on the fan boards and folks get into BSM Vs. Anyone type arguments about it. The BSM types can't understand how anyone in Westeros knows how old they are, but when told that there is a regular seasonal cycle in Westeros they get lost in the semantics of winter Vs. Winter.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

Quote from: TinkTanker on May 01, 2012, 08:28:00 AM
So when they show the map of the world in the opening credits does that imply their world is the inside of a Dyson sphere?

Interesting!

Quote from: Spooky on May 01, 2012, 08:34:45 AM
I gather the world in which Westeros resides has a yearly seasonal cycle like we do, but the long Winters/Summers seem, to me, to be analogous to the Milankovitch cycles mentioned in the article. It's just a shorter and more unpredictable cycle.

Same here.  Dunno why some people struggle with winter vs Winter. 

Spooky

Quote from: Eric on May 01, 2012, 08:37:46 AM
Same here.  Dunno why some people struggle with winter vs Winter.

Here is a great example from Reddit. From a thread talking about the scene where Halfhand and Jon spott the fire off in the distance.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/t16y9/paused_it_for_30_seconds_trying_to_find_that_damn/

QuoteThey say it's been summer for ~9 years. Lets give 1 year for spring. That would make Jon 4 years old at the END of winter... doubt he has much experience in spotting fires in winter...

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

TinkTanker

Quote from: Spooky on May 01, 2012, 09:10:10 AM

QuoteThey say it's been summer for ~9 years. Lets give 1 year for spring. That would make Jon 4 years old at the END of winter... doubt he has much experience in spotting fires in winter...

So... you are saying he knows nothing about spotting fires in Winter?

AdmiralDigby

Yes .

Not a fan of that aspect .....
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

TinkTanker

GRRM says [spoiler]the explanation for the seasons is that it is magic and will be explained at the end of the series.[/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Eric

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on May 01, 2012, 09:36:51 AM

Yes .

Not a fan of that aspect .....

Why do you hate science?  Is it because science proved that your island is now under ten feet of water?