• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Justified

Started by Eric, March 05, 2012, 07:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

All caught up. Is it Tuesday yet?
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

TinkTanker

"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

TinkTanker

On the upside, you are watching one of the awesomest shows today. On the downside, there are two episodes left and then you have to wait an entire year for new ones.

TinkTanker

Double- and triple-crosses collide in 'Justified' finale

If you want job security, don't play a bad guy on Justified.

Anyone who watches this terrific series knows that doesn't count as a spoiler, because it isn't telling you anything you're not already anticipating going into Tuesday's nail-biter of a season finale (* * * * out of four, FX, 10 ET/PT).

You must know that everyone isn't going to make it through the season, because everyone never has. What you don't know is which one of the series' multiple, colorful and seemingly indispensable villains is about to be dispensed with — and in some cases, what you're probably not prepared for is how.

Let's just say the writers involved with this series — from Elmore Leonard, who created U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens, to producer Graham Yost, who has brilliantly brought him to electronic life — are too good at their jobs to let hints drop all season without finally picking them back up. It's yet one more reason Justified is FX's best drama and one of TV's best series.

Raylan's (Timothy Olyphant, who's as good as anyone working in the medium today) main quarry Tuesday is the increasingly unhinged Robert Quarles (another great TV turn by Neal McDonough). But as last week's intricate dance of double and triple crosses demonstrated, Raylan has far more than just Quarles to worry about, what with Limehouse (Mykelti Williamson) pulling strings and Wynn Duffy (Jere Burns) exploding bombs.

If, by the way, you need further proof of how deftly Justified treads the line between laughs and gasps, watch the scene in which Raylan questions Wynn over Quarles' whereabouts. It's what happens when great ideas, great writing and great acting combine.

Were Wynn and Quarles not enough, there's also the constant threat that is Boyd Crowder — played by the inimitable Walton Goggins, who, like Olyphant, has created a character who can be comic relief at one moment and a deadly threat the next.

If there was a problem with this season earlier in the run, it was that the story line didn't tie into Raylan's past or into the show's Kentucky locale as specifically and emotionally as last year's did. But that issue has diminished over the past few weeks, as Limehouse has become more prominent, and it vanishes in the finale with a twist that hits as close to Raylan as any twist could.

Wrapping up another stellar run in completely satisfying, constantly surprising fashion, Justified again stakes a strong claim for award-season attention. There are dramas out there that are as good, but it's hard to think of any that are this good and yet this consistently, rousingly entertaining — which probably hurts it among those who seem to think a show has to be a struggle to watch to be Emmy-worthy.

Watch Tuesday, and then tell me the Emmy doubters aren't wrong.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/reviews/story/2012-04-09/justified-finale/54136642/1

Eric

Pearl@32

"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

Eric

[spoiler]"They're saying I disarmed him." :spitdrink:[/spoiler]

TinkTanker

What got me was when [spoiler]Quarles reaches for his arm and Raylan slowly pulling away from him with it, like 'not gonna let you have this...'[/spoiler]

Spooky

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.