• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

A Game of Thrones: Genesis

Started by Eric, September 30, 2011, 06:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

The real-time strategy game, A Game of Thrones: Genesis was released yesterday.  $39.99 most outlets; $31.99 currently via Amazon download.

From the website (emphasis, mine):

Quote"A Game of Thrones - Genesis" is the video game adaptation of George R.R. Martin's best-seller series of novels A Song of Ice and Fire. In this strategy game developed by Cyanide Studio, your political prowess will be as important as your strategic and military skills!

Thanks to a well-developed single player campaign written under supervision of the author, "A Game of Thrones - Genesis" immerses you into the heart of the battles and intrigues between the Houses that shaped the Kingdom of Westeros.

From Nymeria's arrival in the Kingdom of Dorne to the awakening of the "Others" beyond the Wall, you'll live the origins of the A Song of Ice and Fire saga through more than 1000 years of history. From year -750 to year 299, you will take part in Westeros' founding events and largest battles, such as Aegon the Conqueror's invasion of the continent or the War of the Usurper.

"A Game of Thrones - Genesis" is also a great multiplayer game. Up to 8 players confront each others to claim the Iron Throne in intense games where alliances, betrayals, cheap shots, and pitched battles take place!

New trailer:

A GAME OF THRONES - GENESIS: OFFICIAL TRAILER

Eric

I'm a bit underwhelmed by what I see in the video.  It also makes me nervous when the only review I could find was one by a gamer (see below).
It sounds interesting in that it's different from other RTS games in that (according to the video review) you can't just sit back and amass large armies then overwhelm them all.  You must be assassinating, gaining fealties, marrying people off, diplomacy, etc.  No building or repairing things.

It sounds interesting in theory, though I'm not so sure about in practice.

Game of Thrones: Genesis review

Spooky

I wish they would have made it a turn based game (à la the Civilization series) rather that an RTS.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

A game of Game of Thrones.

Free-to-play Game of Thrones MMO under development. That could be exciting, except it's by the same company which did the Battlestar Galactica MMO -- which was a MMOINO (Massively Multiplayer Online In Name Only). 

Let's hope it's at least something fun!

Spooky

An MMO would be cool. I play Syrio!

:duel:
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

Well, I hope it's that cool. As far as I could tell back when I first tried the BSG MMO, it was really not an MMO. Or fun.
http://www.syfygames.com/accounts/login?redirectUrl=/games/battlestar-galactica

Well, I guess flying in a Colonial Viper or Cylon Raider isn't a bad thing.