• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Eve Online

Started by Spooky, March 04, 2011, 09:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

It's my first MMO .I did the 14 day trial thing a couple of weeks ago and I am liking it so far. I bought just 60 days worth of time. We'll see how it goes. I still don't know how I am going to play the game. I've never been into PVP and Eve is a--anything goes--PVP game, but it also has very in depth economic game mechanics and I think that appeals to me more, but I have been learning that you can't trust anyone int his game. Especially when you fly your ship into low or no security areas. Some seem to play the game just to kill as many other players as possible and, if you don't learn how to defend yourself, they will wipe their arses with the remains of your ship over and over again.

I haven't ventured into nullsec (no security) space yet. I am too young in the game and can't afford to lose what I have earned yet, but it seems you can become pretty rich flying in nullsec by fighting, mining, exploring, trading and salvaging. It's just very, very dangerous.

Here's to wasting hours in front of the monitor! :drink:
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

I tried the demo a few months ago but just couldn't get into it.  Granted, it could be that I'm just tired of MMOs in general at this point.

It doesn't surprise me that there are griefers, though.  And add to it the possibility of looting real money (in the form of monthly game time) and I can definitely see it happening.  Even in World of Warcraft there were people who liked killing other players many levels below them just to aggravate them.

Pretty game though, and I've read there have been some truly epic space battles involving many, many ships.

Spooky

Quote from: Eric on March 04, 2011, 09:52:29 AM...and I've read there have been some truly epic space battles involving many, many ships.

I've read that there were over 3000 folks in a battle at one time. CRAZY! This is a crazy story too.

QuoteRecord breaking heist rocks Eve Online guild to the tune of $16,500 USD in virtual goods

This was published in September's issue of PC Gamer UK, a popular video game article magazine. It is a detailed account of what has to be one of most beautifully executed in-game scams in a MMORPG ever pulled. It breaks all previous world records for 'virtual crime'.

The game in question is Eve Online, an open ended sci-fi mmorpg with a heavy emphasis on roleplaying, where developers try to give their players as much freedom as possible, and where corporate espionage and political intrigue have become an integral part of the game.

The perpetrator of the heist was the Guiding Hand Social Club (GHSC) corporation (a corporation being similar to a clan in Eve); a freelance mercenary outfit that offers their services (which usually involves corp infiltration, theft and assassination) to the highest bidder. Over a year in planning, the GHSC infilitrated their target's corp with their own members and gained their trust, as well as access to the corp hangers, with time. It all concluded in a perfectly timed climax, with a massive theft in multiple corp hangars synchronized with the in-game killing of the corporation's CEO, the primary target of the contract.

What's most interesting and impressive about this operation is that it was entirely 'legal' and within the game's own rules, and the mastermind and his agents pulled it off together flawlessly, all the while staying in character. The estimated real-life value of the items stolen is, according to PC Gamer, $16,500 US. The in-game value of course is much, much higher as the things stolen would take years and years to aquire.

And now, the PC Gamer scans. I hope you'll find it as entertaining a read as I have.

http://gd.klaki.net/006dfcfd06a2720c0af5c242214f9d28/page-1.jpg
http://gd.klaki.net/b87d17e04e6111563f67f35c56da8142/page-2.jpg
http://gd.klaki.net/a1f6d3018eb06c5de7b3438e0b26f2e5/page-3.jpg
http://gd.klaki.net/082a9f2437c965f8cb29aeb5d5d7e5d2/page-4.jpg

http://eve.klaki.net/heist/

AdmiralDigby

That's pretty cool when you think about it .
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Spooky

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on March 04, 2011, 12:14:41 PM
That's pretty cool when you think about it .

I think so too. I am thinking about doing something like that my own self. Join a corp and play nicey nice for a few months to gain their trust and then, when the money is right, I'd turn on 'em and see how much loot I can snag before rabbiting. That'll be an interesting day. Then I'd be all, "Make something up. Don't tell 'em what I did."  >:D

AdmiralDigby

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Spooky

Sadly all the FF character names are taken (and all their variations) in the game, or I would have chosen Jayne Cobb.

AdmiralDigby

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Spooky

That one is free! I might have to snag it when I get home.

Spooky

I was caught pulling illegal salvage on a derelict transport. The corp who owned the wreck came after me, but I was able to jump from belt to belt until the aggression timer cooled down. Whew! They would have killed me good.