• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Summer means smokers!

Started by eforhan, June 25, 2010, 06:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

The wife finally talked me into doing another beef brisket for her. So I'll show her:  I'm doing two.

The smoker is holding up very nicely -- it doesn't seem to matter that it's only about 35 degrees outside.

I'm hoping these come out as great as the one I smoked last summer.  It was my first brisket I've ever cooked and it was melt-in-your-mouth good.  Beginner's luck, perhaps?

I can't recommend highly enough Weber's Burgundy Beef rub.  It really gives it a nice burgundy flavor to the meat.  Also, the "Texas Crutch" is a must (at 180 degrees, wrap it in foil and pour some beer in before closing -- cook about another hour to 190).  And finally:  The meat must rest. Set that puppy (or cow) in an oven or a towel-lined cooler and let it just sit for about an hour.

On the flip side, I have to agree with Tink's assessment of propane and propane accessories.  Part of me wishes I'd have just bought a propane smoker, because so far charcoal is just a real pain.  It'd be nice to be able to set a temperature and know you can leave it and it'll be the same when you get back.  I'm getting better about maintaining the temp. (the water bowl is very nice for keeping it level), but still not as easy as turning a dial.   OTOH, I do just like the idea of cooking with charcoal, particularly lump charcoal.

While today I'm trying to use-up my Kingsford Championship briquettes, I prefer using Wicked Good Lump Charcoal. The former has minimal chemicals compared to normal Kingsfords, but the latter is pure hardwood and no chemicals.  Even WG's briquettes are made without any sort of chemical glue.  There's also less ash than one might expect.

Finally, I can't imagine doing smoked meats without my Maverick Redicheck ET-73 wireless thermometer.  It has one sensor for the meat and one for the smoker.  I wish the range was farther, but at least I don't have to open it up to test the temperature -- as they say:  If you're lookin', you're not cookin'.

Phyll33

Sounds yummy!  35 degrees is positively balmy. I remember our best steak dinners on the grill were done
at 30 degrees below zero in Fairbanks, Alaska and that was with charcoal. Hubby was so proud of himself  :laugh:
and our dinner guests suitably impressed. :)  From then on our Webber's have gotten a workout in the
winter time.

TinkTanker

Eric, you are making me jealous! I've never tackled a brisket but sounds like I might need to. I've been really lazy about grilling/smoking; I don't think I've done anything in the last two years or so. I'll have to look into one of the wireless thermometers like the one you suggested. I saw on some site where some guy rigged up a thermometer to his home network so he could use his iPad to monitor everything. He never had to go back outside until it was done.

Propane and charcoal both have their pros and cons. If you do decide to switch, don't forget about the electric smokers as well. With both propane and charcoal the temp can vary over time, but the reviews I've seen on some of the better electric smokers is that you set the thermostat to 225-250 and walk away. We live in a split level so our patio is downstairs and having to go downstairs to check every 15 minutes or half an hour for six or seven hours gets old after a while. Especially when it is 110 outside.

We've talked about picking up a Webber kettle grill for a couple of years and I think this year I will. From time to time, the extra trouble of charcoal (and I agree with your assessment of lump charcoal) is worth it. I do cringe when I see people buy bags of Match-Light charcoal, the kind with the pre-soaked briquettes. It must make the meat taste like kerosene.

Anyway, continue to post (and a pic or two wouldn't be frowned upon) tips and tricks. Sounds like you have got it nailed down.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Eric

I miscalculated the time by quite a bit, somehow, so I ended up cheating and putting it in the oven for the last few hours.  It was either that or keep running outside  in the dark w/a flashlight. 

The meat tastes good, though I felt I could taste a difference from using the briquettes compared to the lump charcoal.  It was also just a little shy of the "melt-in-your-mouth" goodness I got from the first attempt, but I blame that on the gas oven and cooking at a higher temperature.  I'd say it was comparable to what I've had at a local restaurant (Dave's Barbecue), so I guess that's not bad.

The burgundy flavor wasn't as strong as the first time.  The meat still had a nice flavor, but I did miss the burgundy.  The first time, I really caked it on (about 4/5 of a shaker), whereas this time I did about that much for two briskets.  Lesson learned.

I generally followed Amazingribs.com's guide.  They have many other recipes, including a nice pulled pork one.  It is here the first time I've ever heard of "resting" your meat to get it nice and moist (giggity).  They also cued me in on Bear PAWS (see previous link), which I'm anxious to try on my next Boston Butt.

The Maverick is a nice thermometer, though it can be a bit tricky.  A major complaint I've seen is about their putting the on-off switch inside the battery area, so you must remove the cover every time to turn it on or off.  Not a major deal, but not a good design (there's a youtube video suggesting to drill a hole there for easier access).  Also don't get water on the probe's line, like I did, or it may ruin it.  Maverick was good enough to send me a new one gratis, though.  As I mentioned before, the wireless range isn't the greatest, but I'm much happier in walking to my door and glancing at the temp than I would be having to put on shoes and walking outside.  Plus, it's much more accurate than the built-in thermometer in the Weber (or any similar smoker).  I'd love to have the technical skill to be able to monitor it from an ipod or computer. :D

If you do get a Weber Smokey Mountain, get the newest version (the last year or so).  They've made several improvements over the older version.  Also, everything I've read says the 18.5" is the better of the two for temperature control.  I could easily do four Boston Butts in it, if I wanted, so the larger would just be overkill.  I bought mine at AimToFind for $239.  It looks like they're running a $249/free shipping deal now: http://www.aimtofind.com/grills-and-smokers/barbecue-smokers/weber-18-5-inch-smokey-mountain-cooker-pn-721001-2011-model.html

QuoteI do cringe when I see people buy bags of Match-Light charcoal, the   kind with the pre-soaked briquettes. It must make the meat taste like   kerosene.
I haven't used those or lighter fluid for over a decade.  I prefer a chimney starter, myself.  Plus, it gives me a good excuse to burn the very left-leaning local free newspaper.   :headbang:

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Phyll33 on January 06, 2011, 02:30:13 PM

Sounds yummy!  35 degrees is positively balmy. I remember our best steak dinners on the grill were done
at 30 degrees below zero in Fairbanks, Alaska and that was with charcoal. Hubby was so proud of himself  :laugh:
and our dinner guests suitably impressed. :)  From then on our Webber's have gotten a workout in the
winter time.

We barbecue in winter all the time ( propane ) .
Then again , CANADA , where it's winter ten months a year .
;)

( our national igloo burned down last year - stupid global warming )

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Eric

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on January 07, 2011, 08:37:48 AM
We barbecue in winter all the time ( propane ) .

The wal*Mart special I bought years ago (Brinkmann?) wouldn't smoke so well during the winter.  I actually built a cover for it w/chimney out of a 55-gallon drum which helped much.

Quote( our national igloo burned down last year - stupid global warming )

You can rebuild it.  You have the technology. 

TinkTanker

Okay, I think I may have to invest in one of those WSMs. Looks killer from the Amazon pics and other reviews.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

AdmiralDigby

But with the Warming we have no snow and the Eskimos spend their time surfing among drowning polar bears .

I'd love to try and smoke meat/fish but am 100% clueless .

Lazy too ....
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Phyll33

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on January 07, 2011, 09:31:08 AM

But with the Warming we have no snow and the Eskimos spend their time surfing among drowning polar bears .

I'd love to try and smoke meat/fish but am 100% clueless .

Lazy too ....

Hmm, I just remembered we had a smoker in Alaska for all of the salmon hubby caught. Him and the next
door neighbor brought back 300 lbs of salmon one fishing trip. We were smoking up a storm. I guess he must
have sold it to someone up there when we left.

Spooky

Smoking of speakers...

From my friend Terence.

Proto-A Cold smoker
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.