• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Episode 13: To be, or not to be. An explanation

Started by Spooky, April 09, 2009, 01:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

Dollhouse 13th/14th episode in limbo
As mentioned before, I'm on Twitter and I'm slowly trying to get the hang of the place -- not just what sorts of things I want to post, but how news gets disseminated in 140 characters or less.

Earlier today, Felicia Day (Penny from "Dr. Horrible") tweeted this:

Man, day getting worse and worse. Found out my Dollhouse ep, #13 isn't gonna air. Only on DVD. Such a great part too. Thx Fox. :(

This set the greater Twitter-verse -- not to mention ancillary Joss Whedon fansites -- ablaze with speculation about what this might mean for the future of "Dollhouse." As I've been able to gather so far, maybe it doesn't mean much, which I'll explain after the jump...

Long story short, because this is convoluted: Fox network ordered 13 episodes of the show. Joss Whedon shot a pilot, and then the pilot was scrapped in favor of a new pilot, but for contractual purposes, that unaired pilot counted as part of the 13-episode order -- which means Fox only had 12 episodes to deal with. Eight of those have aired, and four more are still to come, all of which have been scheduled, with the last of those -- with the very finale-ish title of "Omega" -- set to air May 8.

Day's episode, called "Epitaph One," was apparently filmed by the studio independent of the agreement -- or, at least, independent of what Fox network considers to be in the agreement -- and does not seem to be tied in to the story in "Omega." In other words, if there's a cliffhanger in "Omega" (and I don't know if there is), it's not going to be resolved in "Epitaph One."

Fox network won't decide the fate of "Dollhouse" until Upfront week, near the end of May, and the decision not to air "Epitaph One" has nothing whatsoever to do with renewal. It's unclear whether "Epitaph One" will turn up as a bonus on the season one DVD, or on Hulu, or even if it might be a bonus episode for a hypothetical season two. All I know for now is that it's not going to air on Fox as part of the first season run of "Dollhouse."

Does that all make sense?

Labels: Dollhouse

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2009/04/dollhouse-13th14th-episode-in-limbo.html
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

AdmiralDigby

After a seriously lacklustre start I'm starting to groove to this show .
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Saxon

See, I knew they'd filmed some stuff, it all got 'scraped' and they started anew, cuz the set designer was working for the show, was going to give us a tour, they took a break, came back, and next thing I knew he (the designer) was 'leaving in two weeks'. I'm bettin' it was part of that original stuff that Joss did that the studio got their grubby little hands on and tossed. :(

SerenityValley

QuoteDoes that all make sense?

Well, no, but alot of decisions FOX makes don't make sense!
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Spooky

Quote"Dollhouse" producer Tim Minear -- who wrote and directed "Omega" -- just posted a paragraph on Whedonesque.com that seems to corroborate this story, though he adds that FOX should still air episode 13/14 because it's awesome.

http://blog.zap2it.com/korbitv/2009/04/dollhouse-episode-13-will-not-air.html

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Spooky on April 10, 2009, 11:34:32 AM
Quote"Dollhouse" producer Tim Minear -- who wrote and directed "Omega" -- just posted a paragraph on Whedonesque.com that seems to corroborate this story, though he adds that FOX should still air episode 13/14 because it's awesome.

http://blog.zap2it.com/korbitv/2009/04/dollhouse-episode-13-will-not-air.html

Let's hope it has a proper ( and kickass ) wrap up .
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life