• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Aereo

Started by Eric, November 21, 2013, 10:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Aereo is coming to Baltimore and we got in on a free three-month beta test. 
Sara and I have been toying with the idea of dropping cable and going with streaming options.  On a whim I signed up to try this alternative to installing an antenna.

It's not bad.  It also includes twenty hours of DVR, though one would need to rent a second antenna for four dollars extra to watch live TV and record at the same time.  Live TV can be paused.  A few cons are some buffering (if on "high quality), some graphical glitches, and a fast-forward UI that's not user-friendly.  They also keep getting dragged into court over the legality of streaming content, even if they have separate antennae for each user.

Over-the-air antenna would still be the best savings in the long run (presuming a comparable amount of channels can be received). If DVR was important, then that hardware and rental fee would be thrown into the mix too.

Spooky

My brother and I don't watch much live TV, except for sports. Most shows are DVR'd and watch whenever and then Netflix and Amazon streaming for other stuff.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

Well, I'm glad we didn't get used to Aereo.  SCOTUS says they are breaking copyright laws: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-supreme-court-pulls-plug-aereos-streaming-tv-service-n140486