• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Pro athletes doing good deeds

Started by TinkTanker, December 25, 2012, 09:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinkTanker

Too often all the news from the pros is nothing but bad news. Let's post some good stuff they are doing!

Christmas is traditionally a time for families to come together prior to the start of a new year.

For a child, it's a special experience of presents and holiday cheer.

RB Mark Ingram understands as exciting as the holiday season is, it can be difficult for children that are in the same shoes he is in.

Ingram's father, Mark Ingram Sr., is currently serving time at a federal prison in Ashland, Ky. Ingram has always been very close with his father and to not be with him for Christmas is challenging but he understands the situation.

New Orleans Saints fans quickly learned how much Ingram's father means to him.

It was April 28, 2011 and the Saints had just traded back into the first round of the NFL Draft with the New England Patriots to draft Ingram. After the selection was made, Ingram did a live interview with ESPN's Suzy Kolber. Kolber had received an email from Ingram's father that he sent to her from prison that he wanted her to read to his son after he was selected.

As Kolber read the email, Ingram's eyes began to water up.

"I am so proud of the young man you have become," the email ended.

Ingram turned away and pulled the brim of his new Saints hat down. After hearing the email, it had hit him what a special moment this was for him. He had accomplished his longtime goal of reaching the NFL like his father did, and he was selected with the same pick as his father – 28th overall.

Ingram looked into the camera to deliver a message to his father.

"I want to tell my dad that I love him...I miss you dog," an emotional Ingram stated. "You have been a positive influence on me my entire life. I want to thank you and let you know that I love you. We did it."

That's what it's always been about for Ingram – "we." His father has as much to do with his success as anybody. Despite his father not being in attendance at the draft, the email made Ingram feel like he was there.

"I heard my name being called and took the picture with my family and all that and then when she read that letter from my father it really got to me," said Ingram. "To hear how proud of me he was, and even though he wasn't there I felt his presence."

Understanding the challenges of being a child of an incarcerated parent, Ingram started the Mark Ingram Foundation to help children in his situation, particularly during the holiday season.

Ingram has hosted a shopping spree each of the past two years at Academy Sports and Outdoors in New Orleans through his foundation. Ingram and other Saints players bring children of incarcerated parents to the store and Ingram gives each child a gift card so they can pick out a number of Christmas presents.   

"It can be rough at times when you have a parent away, but especially around the holidays," said Ingram. "That's when you spend a lot of time with family and getting gifts from your parents. I just have one parent that is incarcerated and I know of some kids that have both so I want to help. I want the kids to know that there are people that care about them and want to be there for them."

Ingram said he hopes to expand his foundation to have more events throughout the year. The Christmas shopping spree is just the first step to the big picture of where he sees the foundation going.

Earlier this month, Ingram was honored for his efforts to help children when his teammates voted him as the 2012 recipient of the team's Ed Block Courage Award. 

The Ed Block Courage Award Foundation is dedicated to improving the lives of neglected children and ending the cycle of abuse. 

Ingram will be honored, along with recipients of the other 31 NFL teams, at the Ed Block Courage Award ceremony in Baltimore, Maryland in 2013.

No one on the Saints team knows Ingram as well as DE Cameron Jordan. The Saints selected Jordan four spots ahead of Ingram in the draft and their lockers are right next to each other.

"When we got drafted, there was the lockout so he was the only teammate I really knew," said Jordan. "I am in awe in how well he has kept on the right path and how he was able to reach his goal of the NFL. It's kudos to his family and especially his mom because I know how much my mom did for me so I can only imagine how much his mom did for him. I have gotten to know their family and it's great to see how they stick together and help each other."

Along with Ingram's father, Jordan's dad also played in the NFL.

Mark Ingram Sr. played 10 seasons in the NFL with the Giants, Dolphins, Packers and Eagles. He was part of the Giants' Super Bowl XXV championship team.

Steve Jordan played 13 seasons for the Vikings, where he was a six-time Pro Bowl selection. 

Understanding the path Ingram took to get to the NFL, Jordan is more impressed with how much his draft partner has accomplished.

"I don't know where I would be if I didn't have my dad there through everything," said Jordan. "My dad has been everywhere I have been and done everything I have done so I have always been able to rely on him. I don't know how much contact Mark has with his father but that has to be very hard."

Despite the circumstances, Ingram and his father still remain close. The two will talk three to four times a week. They discuss everything from football, family life and how each other's day went.

"My father is my biggest critic and my No. 1 fan," said Ingram. "He is quick to compliment me but also points things out if he sees something I can work on. He wants me to improve and be the best I can be. We have a special bond."

Ingram never saw his father's situation as a reason to limit his opportunities. Ingram says his father has been his best friend and biggest supporter during his career.

Statistics show that a child is more likely to spend time in jail if one of their parents is incarcerated. Ingram is fighting to limit those numbers through his foundation. 

Ingram is a BCS Champion, a Heisman Trophy winner and a first round NFL draft pick. He is using those accolades as a platform to demonstrate to kids in his situation that they don't have to "fall into the statistics."

"I want to show them they can grow up to live a successful life," said Ingram. "They can grow up to be a good person. They can still set their goals high and reach them. I try to fill the void the best I can during special times like the holidays. You want to be there to make them smile and give them a hug – that's what it's all about during the holidays."

A quote any parent would be proud to hear.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/Mark-Ingram-Spreads-Christmas-Joy-to-Children-in-His-Shoes/9d55dc57-01e9-442b-bd9f-d7b7bc22f276
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Spooky

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Spooky

The Huston Texans' JJ Watt flew in some kids and parents from the Newtown Connecticut elementary to show them a good time and introduce them to some players today.

http://imgur.com/qr4lY

TinkTanker

geogal

Spooky

TinkTanker

AdmiralDigby

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2013/01/31/sp-laligue-soccer-paris-saint-germain-david-beckham.html

David Beckham gives salary to charity to play for Paris Saint-Germain
Signs 5-month deal with La Ligue club, but hopes to stay longer
The Associated Press
Posted: Jan 31, 2013 7:41 AM ET

David Beckham pledged to donate his salary to a children's charity Thursday after signing a five-month contract with Paris-Saint Germain, the latest stop on his globe-trotting career.

The 37-year-old former England captain joined PSG after turning down several other offers and pledging to effectively play for free. No financial details were given as to how much Beckham's salary would be or the name of the charity. The decision was taken early Thursday morning.
Beckham dominates an otherwise subdued transfer day

David Beckham lit up a subdued transfer deadline day in Europe by securing perhaps the final move of his globetrotting career, a surprise short-term deal with ambitious French club Paris Saint-Germain.

Mario Balotelli, a headline-grabber at the opposite end of his football career, finalized his switch from Manchester City to AC Milan for (euro)20 million ($27 million). Otherwise, there was plenty of speculation but precious little activity as the January window prepared to shut on Thursday.

With economic problems continuing to hit the continent hard, top clubs have also been forced to rein in their spending to ensure they adhere to UEFA's strict financial fair play rules.

The English Premier League, usually the scene of last-gasp trolley dashes among clubs, was largely quiet while Inter Milan was the busiest of Serie A's major teams but only to bring in four unheralded names.

Nothing, though, was ever going to upstage PSG's signing of Beckham, who moves to the French capital on a five-month deal during which time he will donate his salary to a local children's charity.

"I am 37 years old and I got offered a lot of offers, more offers now than I have probably had in my career," said the former England captain, who revealed he rejected bids from Premier League teams.

"I can still run around, I can still play as I did when I was 21 years old."

Where Beckham fits in at PSG is another question entirely. Once he regains his match fitness, he will likely have to settle for a bit-part role with the French league leaders, who are close to becoming the modern-day "galacticos" with Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva among the big names already at the club.

"I'm excited about the challenge," Beckham said. "I love the challenge wherever I have played, whatever league or culture I have played in."

Balotelli, who has been afforded hero status since his return to Italy on Wednesday, completed his move to Milan early Thursday, ending a turbulent 2 1/2-year stint at City where he was rarely out of the headlines for his behaviour on and off the pitch.

"Being at City was an important part of my life and career," the 22-year-old Balotelli said. "I needed to grow up like a player and as a person and it has been a very good experience for me."

Elsewhere in Italy, Napoli signed FC Porto defender Rolando on loan, Mohamed Sissoko joined Fiorentina on loan from PSG and Inter's signings were teenager Mateo Kovacic, Zdravko Kuzmanovic, Ezequiel Schelotto and Juan Pablo Carrizo.

In England, last-minute deals were mainly confined to the Premier League's strugglers, with last-place Queens Park Rangers sealing the biggest signing by bringing in giant defender Christopher Samba from Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala for a reported club-record fee of 12 million pounds ($19 million).

In a bizarre twist late on deadline day, Nigeria striker Peter Odemwingie drove to London from central England in an attempt force a move from West Bromwich to QPR. West Brom released a statement saying Odemwingie had been denied permission to talk to QPR and he was barred entrance to Loftus Road.

Bundesliga clubs in Germany also resisted the urge to splash out on deadline day, with relegation-threatened Hoffenheim bringing in Tottenham's third-choice goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes on loan in the biggest move.

"It's something we [decided] together, it's one of the things we talked about from the start. But this all happened so quick," Beckham said. "I thought what a great idea it would be, that the salary would go to a children's charity in Paris."

Beckham's glamorous career has seen him win titles with Manchester United, Real Madrid and the Los Angeles Galaxy.

"Every club I have played for throughout the world, I have been successful with. I have been successful with Manchester United, and I have always said that I would never want to play for another English club," Beckham said. "It's the team that I support, that I always dreamt of playing for."

Beckham recently finished a six-year stint in the United States with the Galaxy. Whether he can still be a force in European football is still uncertain.

"I am very lucky. I am 37 years old and I got offered a lot of offers, more offers now than I have probably had in my career, at my age," Beckham said. "I am very honoured about that. I chose Paris because I can see what the club are trying to do, the players the club are trying to bring in. It's an exciting city, always has been, always will be."

Beckham was close to joining PSG last year, discussing a potential move with sporting director Leonardo as PSG desperately chased a big name to match its new-found status and seemingly endless funds from its Qatari backers.
Likes direction of club

But the move fell through and PSG moved on to other targets, capturing striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, his AC Milan teammate Thiago Silva, Napoli winger Ezequiel Lavezzi and Brazilian prodigy Lucas.

"I felt last year that I still had something to achieve in Los Angeles. I won the championship in the last year of my contract and yes, we spoke to Leo a number of times but I think we both came to the thought that it wasn't the right time," Beckham said. "So we parked it and decided that right now is the right time because I was at the end of my contract last year. I accepted one more year in Los Angeles, I won another championship, another trophy in Los Angeles and I believe it was the right time to leave."

Early Thursday, the move was finally done. And shortly before noon, the much-travelled Beckham made the short flight to Paris.

"This literally all happened at 1 a.m. this morning and was finalized when I got on the plane at 11 a.m.," Beckham said. "Right now, I have a few things to sort out with my children and the schooling and a few other things. I have been training at Arsenal. My fitness won't take long to get up to speed. I definitely won't be fit for next Friday. A few weeks and I'll be up to speed."

While he was on the flight, Beckham agreed on a novel way of putting his big salary to good use.

"We decided on something that is quite unique — I won't receive any salary. We have decided that my salary will go towards a local children's charity in Paris. And that's one of things we are very excited and proud to be able to do," he said. "It's something I'm not sure has been done before, and it's something I'm very passionate about, children and the charity side of things, and so are the club. We came together and it's something special."

Although Beckham's deal runs out in June, he intends to carry on playing, although whether or not that will still be with PSG remains to be decided. However, he is eager to have a long-term role at the club.

"We slightly brushed over it, a long-term partnership is what we have looked for," he said. "Short-term is playing but long-term is something we are very proud to be part of this organization that will grow and become one of the biggest in Europe."

Immaculately dressed and groomed, Beckham was a model of elegance and calm as camera crews and photographers jostled for the best positions amid frenzied scenes in a tightly packed press room. He even joked that he feels much younger than his age.

"To be the elder statesman, I'm very proud of that," Beckham said. "No matter what my age is, I still feel 21 years old — most days."
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

TinkTanker

Being snobby East Coast elites, we've never understood the people of Wisconsin and their Packers. I guess the public owns the team, so that's something. Even so: These folks love the Packers even more than the team's shared ownership would dictate. The people consider every last Packer a beautiful soul, an angel descended to the frozen tundra. Especially Donald Driver. He was the local face of Time Warner Cable and McDonald's. He somehow landed on Dancing With the Stars. And he has, as his biggest fan, this lady, 78-year-old Angie LeRoy of Bellevue, Wis. She had struggled trying to find tickets for Driver's retirement ceremony, and the local Fox TV station aired her story.

(Hit the link for the rest of the story)

http://deadspin.com/donald-driver/

Spooky