• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Tide Talk

Started by TinkTanker, October 09, 2010, 10:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: TinkTanker on April 22, 2011, 06:28:50 AM
Former Alabama player Marcel Dareus

Sport Science: Marcell Dareus

You may remember this from last year's Rose Bowl game. Colt McCoy sure does. It was the play that knocked him out of the game.

The video is racist in that it hates Canuckistanis .

;)
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Spooky

Tink, Tell me the Seahawks made a good pick with Mr. James Carpenter from Alabama.

Everyone is saying this guy should have been a late 2nd early 3rd round pick, but the Hawks desperately need bodies on the OL. I guess they really liked him.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

TinkTanker

Carpenter is a beast on the OL. If the Seahawks need good folks on the OL, they could do a lot worse. And if memory serves, they've had good luck in the past with former 'Bama players.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/carpenter_james00.html

Draft Preview: James Carpenter
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Spooky

Been reading about him and our local sports radio has been talking to a lot of folks in Alabama that say he's a great kid. Tough (played though a couple of injuries last year), versatile (can play any OL position if needed), athletic, a very hard worker and durable (started every game while at Alabama). Sounds like a WIN to me. If he ends up being the starting right tackle (that's where it seems the Hawks want him) the Hawks will have two very young, very good tackles for years to come (their 1st round pick from last year-Russell Okung- is the starting left tackle).

And yeah, that Alexander kid turned out pretty good. :)

TinkTanker

27 straight starts, kid is pretty tough. I know a lot of people (like Nick Saban) were shocked they picked him. Hopefully it pays off for the 'Hawks. Hey, there are as many busts with can't miss prospects as there are diamonds in the rough. I've heard people complain that Mark Ingram was a bad pick for the Saints, they could have got him at any point. Who knows?

BTW, Saban is going to be on Colin Cowherd in a few minutes. I'm sure he'll address Carpenter's draft.

ETA: 8:45 AM PDT

TinkTanker

Saban mentioned that when Carpenter switched positions in the Senior Bowl, it showed that he was more of a versatile player and that made an impression on Pete Carroll.

Saban also made a plea for donations to the Red Cross, especially to the west Alabama chapter. He was supposed to act as a commentator for the draft, but decided to opt out. He felt that he was needed more in T-Town.

TinkTanker

Spooky, saw this tweeted from the University of Alabama Compliance Department:

James Carpenter calls today at 9:15, the morning after the biggest night of his life. His question: How can I help Tuscaloosa?

Dude's got heart, Spooky.

Spooky

Along with his athletic skill, I am sure Carol and the front office took his heart to heart and I am sure it is one of the reasons they picked him. As bad a rep as Carol had at USC, he's dumped a lot of bad character guys from the Seahawk's roster (more roster moves than any team last year iirc) and seems to like good character guys. Seattle as a town embraces guys like this as well.

One of the most beloved Seahawks of all time, Walter Jones, retired before last season and was a great character guy (From Alabama - though he played for FS) too. He was a hero in this town and an OL guys too.

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: TinkTanker on April 29, 2011, 12:17:08 PM
Spooky, saw this tweeted from the University of Alabama Compliance Department:

James Carpenter calls today at 9:15, the morning after the biggest night of his life. His question: How can I help Tuscaloosa?

Dude's got heart, Spooky.

A narcissist-free college athlete ?

:clap:
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

TinkTanker

Highlights from the article: Alabama's starting running back (now that Mark Ingram has left to go play for the Saints) at 225 pounds runs a 10.4 100 meter and 4.37 in the 40 yard dash. He benches 465 and squats 600, power cleans 365. Well, the training staff stopped him at those because they didn't want him to strain anything. Averaged 6.2 yards a carry, 145.5 all purpose yards a game. Vertical jump of 36 inches, 6% body fat. Projected to go in the first round to the NFL next year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/42296/tides-richardson-has-few-peers-physically

This is a running back. A running back.