• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

DR. Horrible

Started by AdmiralDigby, July 15, 2008, 07:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consigliere5

Rosie

Quote from: Spooky on April 19, 2011, 03:53:58 PM
Joss Whedon reveals Dr. Horrible 2's music is 'near completion'

http://blastr.com/2011/04/joss-whedon-reveals-dr-ho.php

For some reason this makes me feel like Joss is still thinking of us. The Avengers is mainstream and a big deal but Dr. Horrible is a guilty pleasure held by a few. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

I was think Penny could be a love bot! We'll see.

Spooky

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Spooky

As he leaves, we ask if a Dr. Horrible 2 come after The Avengers.

That's the plan. We plan to be working on it this summer.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/184585-sxsw-interview-everything-joss-whedon-said

Spooky

Wait Is Almost Over for New Dr. Horrible, Joss Whedon Says

USTIN, Texas — Joss Whedon may be the new hardest-working man in show business. The director, who's about to unleash The Avengers and is putting the finishing touches on his whirlwind production of Much Ado About Nothing, plans to produce a new installment of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog very soon.

Whedon said he'd like to begin work on the next installment of the supervillain musical farce this summer.

"We are hard on it. It's been a really tough year — couple of years — partially, I'm happy to say, because of work," Whedon told Wired during an interview at the South by Southwest Film festival, where he was promoting over-the-top horror-comedy The Cabin in the Woods (more from that interview to come).

The original Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog was created by Whedon, his brothers Jed and Zack, and Jed's wife, Maurissa Tancharoen, during the 2007-2008 writer's strike. Shot quickly and on a low budget, then released online in three parts, the miniseries won racked up awards, spawned comic books and was eventually released on DVD.

Fans have been salivating for a sequel ever since. And although Whedon's been very busy since the strike ended, he said progress is being made on the new Doctor Horrible.

"We do have a number of songs written," he said. "We have a whole outline."

Dr. Horrible, which became an internet sensation when it hit the web, starred Neil Patrick Harris as the eponymous doctor and aspiring supervillian. Firefly's Nathan Fillion played Captain Hammer, the eponymous doctor's nemesis, and The Guild star Felicia Day played Penny, the girl of both their dreams.

Whedon, who didn't offer much detail on the plot of the new iteration of the web series, said the biggest roadblock to unleashing a Dr. Horrible sequel — besides his need to get back into songwriting mode — has been aligning everyone's schedules for the next installment of the indie hit.

"We're stuck, basically, at this one part in the process," Whedon said. "All of us are looking at this summer as the time when we can go, 'Hey, you know what? We've got a little free time, let's get unstuck.' Neil has been like, 'How long?' We're all sort of just waiting, but the waiting will stop."

Anyone else as excited about the prospect as we are?

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/03/whedon-new-dr-horrible/

Eric

[07/30/12 - 08:35 AM]
"Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" Makes Its Television Debut on Tuesday, October 9, 9-10 PM on The CW
The three-part online musical from Joss Whedon made its web premiere in 2008.
[via press release from The CW]

"DR. HORRIBLE'S SING-ALONG BLOG" MAKES ITS TELEVISION DEBUT ON TUESDAY, OCTOBER 9, 9-10 PM ON THE CW

July 30, 2012 (Beverly Hills, CA) - Joss Whedon's acclaimed "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog," starring Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day," will make its television debut on Tuesday, October 9 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) on The CW.

Created as a three-part online musical in 2008 by Joss Whedon ("The Avengers," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"), the series stars Neil Patrick Harris ("How I Met Your Mother") as Billy, A.K.A. Dr. Horrible, a budding super villain whose plans for world domination continually go awry. His two goals: getting accepted into the Evil League of Evil, and working up the guts to speak to his laundromat crush Penny (Felicia Day, "The Guild"). The only thing standing in Billy's way is his superhero arch nemesis, Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion, "Firefly," "Castle"). With one big score, Billy could get into the E.L.E. and earn the respect of Penny, but only if he can keep her away from the dashing Captain Hammer...

Directed by Joss Whedon, "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" was written by Maurissa Tancharden, Jed Whedon, Joss Whedon and Zack Whedon, with music by Jed Whedon and Joss Whedon.

Spooky

QuoteAnd by the way it's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Eric

Resurrecting this dead thread for this tidbit:  Whedon made more money directing Dr Horrible than he did with The Avengers.

Spooky

I don't know. Maybe it was more than his base avengers directing salary, but he also wrote the script and I can't believe he didn't have points on the back-end.

Eric

Heh. Even the news above is old news, as Wall Street Journal reported this back in April.  Link goes to Indiewire, which doesn't take a subscription to view.

Remember, this was only his second feature film and his first sadly was an abject box-office failure.

From the article:

Quote"They are in the business of hiring the guy who hasn't had a big success, because they don't have to pay that guy very much," Whedon notes.