• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

I am reading/Just read...

Started by Spooky, June 04, 2008, 10:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

Quote from: TinkTanker on December 16, 2008, 08:20:51 AM

I've been reading that off and on. It's good, but I can't read more that a few bits at a time. Luckily it works well that way.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

TinkTanker

I'm actually listening to the abridged audiobook. I think I'll pick up the book one of these days.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Eric

World War Z piqued my interest, too.  Must remember to buy that, sometime ...

TinkTanker

Quote from: Eric on December 16, 2008, 08:53:18 AM
World War Z piqued my interest, too.  Must remember to buy that, sometime ...

It is pretty good. Good enough for me to want to actually read, which is something I very rarely do these days.

Eric

While at Pearl's parents, I finally had the time to read World War Z.

Zombie stories are more than just tales of monsters. They are about how we might face the unknown; an intruder, a mob, a riot, a war.  What happens if a disaster happens and one must find food and protect family? Who hasn't had moments when he's felt surrounded by zombies?  At work?  In political discussions?

I was actually surprised at how well it was done, and the wide variety of "experiences".  The Redecker Plan has probably more truth than we, the Unwashed Masses, probably want to admit.  Just ask Al Gore as he jets around the world telling everyone not to jet around the world.  Or Michael Moore making loads of cash while telling everyone that cash is evil.

Spooky

I started reading it a while back an was enjoying it, but stopped (can't remember why). I'm sure I'll start up again.

Right now I am reading the Dexter series. I am about half way through the second book. This one time  actually like the TV show better than the books. Not that I don't like the books, I love them, but they are different and something about the way Mr. Hall plays Dexter appeals to me. He was a great piece of casting.

TinkTanker

I'll be reading this once Ann is through with it.

ETA: The author acknowledges Michelle Dockery (she of Mal's Song fame), so she just might be a Browncoat as well.

AdmiralDigby

I just finished Derek Robinson's "Damned Good Show " and am now on his "Hullo Russia, Goodbye England"

I'm also digging through Ambrose's "Band of Brothers" and Robinson's "War Story" .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Robinson_%28novelist%29

Best war novelist I've read so far .

He's brutal and unsentimental .
Sometimes too unsentimental - but then again - who says war is nice ?
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

AdmiralDigby

And if I may add - both "Show" and "Russia" are signed by the author .

Too me .

:headbang:

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Spooky

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on October 28, 2009, 04:22:58 PM
And if I may add - both "Show" and "Russia" are signed by the author .

To me .

:headbang:

:shiny: