• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Amazon Kindle

Started by Spooky, November 14, 2008, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

Quote from: SerenityValley on December 01, 2008, 07:08:31 PM
I think I'll stick with paper and ink.

Ahhhhh... But can you be listening to music and think... Hmmm I would love to have a copy of 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Fin', then buy it (for 25 cents) and then start reading it less than a minute latter all while sitting on the lieu? Didn't think so! I can and did.  ;)  :loloeo:
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

TinkTanker

The downside is the DRM and other assorted licensing crap. Fer instance, you cannot sell your 25 cent copy or Huckleberry Finn nor can you sell your $30 copy of The Stand. I come from the school of once I buy it, I own it and I can by God sell it to whomever I choose.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

SerenityValley

Quote from: Spooky on December 01, 2008, 08:05:55 PM
Quote from: SerenityValley on December 01, 2008, 07:08:31 PM
$360??  NOT!

It does have a lot of cool features. Some are documented and some are not.  ;)

* Revolutionary electronic-paper display provides a sharp, high-resolution screen that looks and reads like real paper.
    * Simple to use: no computer, no cables, no syncing.
    * Wireless connectivity enables you to shop the Kindle Store directly from your Kindle—whether you're in the back of a taxi, at the airport, or in bed.
    * Buy a book and it is auto-delivered wirelessly in less than one minute.
    * More than 190,000 books available, including more than 105 of 112 current New York Times® Best Sellers.
    * New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise.
    * Free book samples. Download and read first chapters for free before you decide to buy.
    * Top U.S. newspapers including The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post; top magazines including thyme, Atlantic Monthly, and Forbes—all auto-delivered wirelessly.
    * Top international newspapers from France, Germany, and Ireland; Le Monde, Frankfurter Allgemeine, and The Irish Times—all auto-delivered wirelessly.
    * More than 1000 top blogs from the worlds of business, technology, sports, entertainment, and politics, including BoingBoing, Slashdot, TechCrunch, ESPN's Bill Simmons, The Onion, Michelle Malkin, and The Huffington Post—all updated wirelessly throughout the day.
    * Lighter and thinner than a typical paperback; weighs only 10.3 ounces.
    * Holds over 200 titles.
    * Long battery life. Leave wireless on and recharge approximately every other day. Turn wireless off and read for a week or more before recharging. Fully recharges in 2 hours.
    * Unlike WiFi, Kindle utilizes the same high-speed data network (EVDO) as advanced cell phones—so you never have to locate a hotspot.
    * No monthly wireless bills, service plans, or commitments—we take care of the wireless delivery so you can simply click, buy, and read.
    * Includes free wireless access to the planet's most exhaustive and up-to-date encyclopedia—Wikipedia.org.
    * Email your Word documents and pictures (.JPG, .GIF, .BMP, .PNG) to Kindle for easy on-the-go viewing.
    * Included in the box: Kindle wireless reader, Book cover, Power adapter, USB 2.0 cable

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Device/dp/B000FI73MA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle

Yes, but can it take out the trash??   :haha:
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Saxon

Now I want one!!!

When I told Gingi about them (who is a voracious reader) she said she liked the 'feel' of a book. Jessi had seen that they offer a 'cover' that allows you to hold it like a book! I dunno...they will still have to go alot cheaper before we can get one.

Spooky

Quote from: Saxon on December 02, 2008, 08:49:17 AM
Now I want one!!!

When I told Gingi about them (who is a voracious reader) she said she liked the 'feel' of a book. Jessi had seen that they offer a 'cover' that allows you to hold it like a book! I dunno...they will still have to go alot cheaper before we can get one.

I love it so far. I don't like the cover that came with it. I can see where the Kindle might slip out and fall to the ground, but there are a couple of 3rd party choices in that regard. I have read more than half of Glenn Beck's 'The Christmas Sweater' (started reading it 5 minutes after I unboxed the Kindle) and the pages seem to fly by. It is easier on my eyes that a regular book, to me any way. I adjusted the font size to +1 and my eyes fly through the words with ease.

When I was on the couch reading  last night, I found a comfy position and didn't have to move at all. My finger was all snugged up to one of the 'Next Page' buttons and with a, almost effortless, twitch of my finger, the next page appears before your eyes.

As far as price goes, it is a little steep, but the rumor is that the Kindle v2.0 will be out some time next year. That should lower the price on v1.0 and I hope that they made enough money on v1.0 to be able to sell v2.0 at a lower price.

Article on v2.0
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10107649-1.html

Saxon

I used to read ALOT...but with my eyesight changing every year, I got to where I just couldn't read most printed pages. I love the idea of adjustable font/print size. Another thing that was problematic for me, even before the eyes started giving me trouble was the fact that my hands go numb just from holding a book. The idea of having something I don't have to do that 'hold the book open, flip a page' thing (which Gingi loves) is actually a plus to me.

Yeah, maybe next year.

SerenityValley

I'm with Sax.  Maybe when the price comes down I'd look into it.  Between myself, my mom and my sister, we pass all our books around, so we'd ALL have to get one so we could continue sharing!!  That'd be cool, though, if I could just beam it to them rather than having to drive the LONG 10 miles to my mom's or 2 miles to my sis' house!
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Spooky

Quote from: SerenityValley on December 02, 2008, 10:05:28 AM
That'd be cool, though, if I could just beam it to them rather than having to drive the LONG 10 miles to my mom's or 2 miles to my sis' house!

That is a problem. On some books there is DRM in place that would prevent 'sharing' of the book, but I am sure there are ways around it. ;) I will become versed in all the tricks and hacks that become available for the Kindle.  >:D

Saxon

Quote from: Spooky on December 02, 2008, 10:12:08 AM
That'd be cool, though, if I could just beam it to them rather than having to drive the LONG 10 miles to my mom's or 2 miles to my sis' house!

That is a problem. On some books there is DRM in place that would prevent 'sharing' of the book, but I am sure there are ways around it. ;) I will become versed in all the tricks and hacks that become available for the Kindle.  >:D

yay...then, by the time I can afford it, I can get info from you!

How brave of you to be our trailblazer...facing the unknown, hacking out a path for us...wow, I'm inspired.

SerenityValley

Quote from: Spooky on December 02, 2008, 10:12:08 AM

That's okay, we could always just swap units!  Whatever works, right?!