• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Amazon Kindle

Started by Spooky, November 14, 2008, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

Quote from: Saxon on November 26, 2008, 02:07:45 PM
How fun! We'll be expecting a 'review'!

I'll write a review that can only be read on a Kindle.  :rofl:

Anyhoo, I made by first Kindle book purchase... Neuromancer by William Gibson. It's my favorite Sci-Fi book and even though I've read it a dozen times, I know I'll read it a dozen more. I've purchased the paperback version 3 or 4 times and wore them out.

Buying Kindle books is so easy. See the book you want in the Amazon Kindle library and 'click' it gets sent to your Kindle via wireless connection (a connection that uses any available cell tower and is free). The book I just ordered will download as soon as I turn on my Kindle. Pretty cool!

Off to browse more books. :)
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Spooky

This Kindle is going to be a wallet killer, I've already ordered 10 books...

TinkTanker

"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Spooky

Quote from: TinkTanker on November 26, 2008, 04:41:49 PM
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/35681

QuoteUsually ships within 11 to 13 weeks.

Amazon said 3-4 weeks for me. I ordered on Nov 14th and will have mine on Dec 3rd. I guess I ordered at the right time. The Article (and comments) come off as whiny to me..

Spooky

New toy is said to be 'Delivered' by Amazon tracking. Must. Go. Home. Now! I need to play with my new toy!!!!!

Saxon

Jessi has not mentioned it again...hopefully I can put it off till next year.

Spooky

Quote from: Saxon on December 01, 2008, 12:40:35 PM

What's her email address so I can remind her?  >:D

SerenityValley

I've seen other brands of these before.  $360??  NOT!  Then I guess you'd have to "buy" each book seperately?  I think I'll stick with paper and ink.  I'm just too cheap!

ETA:  WTF?? I replied to the "Moved to" thread and it put me in here?~  Nevermind.
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Saxon

Quote from: Spooky on December 01, 2008, 12:42:32 PM
Quote from: Saxon on December 01, 2008, 12:40:35 PM

What's her email address so I can remind her?  >:D

*thwap*

Don't forget, the naughty and nice list is being compiled up North right about now!!

Spooky

Quote from: SerenityValley on December 01, 2008, 07:08:31 PM
$360??  NOT!

It does have a lot of cool features. Some are documented and some are not.  ;)

* Revolutionary electronic-paper display provides a sharp, high-resolution screen that looks and reads like real paper.
    * Simple to use: no computer, no cables, no syncing.
    * Wireless connectivity enables you to shop the Kindle Store directly from your Kindle—whether you're in the back of a taxi, at the airport, or in bed.
    * Buy a book and it is auto-delivered wirelessly in less than one minute.
    * More than 190,000 books available, including more than 105 of 112 current New York Times® Best Sellers.
    * New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise.
    * Free book samples. Download and read first chapters for free before you decide to buy.
    * Top U.S. newspapers including The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post; top magazines including TIME, Atlantic Monthly, and Forbes—all auto-delivered wirelessly.
    * Top international newspapers from France, Germany, and Ireland; Le Monde, Frankfurter Allgemeine, and The Irish Times—all auto-delivered wirelessly.
    * More than 1000 top blogs from the worlds of business, technology, sports, entertainment, and politics, including BoingBoing, Slashdot, TechCrunch, ESPN's Bill Simmons, The Onion, Michelle Malkin, and The Huffington Post—all updated wirelessly throughout the day.
    * Lighter and thinner than a typical paperback; weighs only 10.3 ounces.
    * Holds over 200 titles.
    * Long battery life. Leave wireless on and recharge approximately every other day. Turn wireless off and read for a week or more before recharging. Fully recharges in 2 hours.
    * Unlike WiFi, Kindle utilizes the same high-speed data network (EVDO) as advanced cell phones—so you never have to locate a hotspot.
    * No monthly wireless bills, service plans, or commitments—we take care of the wireless delivery so you can simply click, buy, and read.
    * Includes free wireless access to the planet's most exhaustive and up-to-date encyclopedia—Wikipedia.org.
    * Email your Word documents and pictures (.JPG, .GIF, .BMP, .PNG) to Kindle for easy on-the-go viewing.
    * Included in the box: Kindle wireless reader, Book cover, Power adapter, USB 2.0 cable

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Device/dp/B000FI73MA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle