• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Spooky's UFC/WEC/PRIDE MMA Thread

Started by Spooky, November 05, 2008, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

That young lady was very lovely indeed!
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Spooky

Not sure what I think about this. I admire this guys determination. Not his handicap keep him from doing what he wants, but if he keeps it up he might get seriously hurt.

Kyle Maynard, Amputee - MMA UFC Fight - No Arms, Legs

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14717/congenital-amputee-kyle-maynards-mma-fight-has-only-just-begun.mma

Congenital amputee Kyle Maynard's MMA fight has only just begun
by Kyle Nagel on Apr 28, 2009 at 4:15 pm ET
In the early-morning hours, after Kyle Maynard lost his mixed-martial-arts amateur debut, the congenital amputee sat with promoter David Oblas decompressing from the event's stress.

The pair relaxed in a house they rented in Auburn, Ala., to prepare for the Auburn Fight Night, where Maynard – who was born without elbows or knees or arms or legs below them – lost a three-round decision in his controversial first appearance.

"I asked him, 'Honestly, do you want to do this again,'" Oblas, president of Undisputed Productions, told MMAjunkie.com. "He said, 'Hell yeah I do.'"

Maynard's fight showed some successes and some flaws that would need to be considered if he does indeed re-enter the cage. While the fight wasn't the disaster many feared and Maynard left the Auburn Covered Arena without any major physical damage – thus proving he could successfully defend himself – opponent Bryan Fry displayed the relatively easy strategy that could keep Maynard from winning future fights.

Fry distanced himself from the former high-school wrestler, not letting Maynard get close enough to use the strength unusual for a 135-pounder. In chasing Fry around the cage, Maynard faced exhaustion, especially on the humid night that kept him from attaching gloves to his hands.

"He got popped pretty good three or four times," Oblas said. "He was proud that he could take a punch. You never really know until it happens."

Oblas said he had "six or seven" potential opponents fall through before settling on Fry. And even that was a difficult sell, as Fry first agreed to the fight before calling Oblas back and saying his parents didn't want him to face Maynard. After everyone involved viewed videos of Maynard training, though, their concerns were relaxed and Fry was again the opponent.

"I made well over 100 calls to find someone," Oblas said.

Many were concerned that Maynard was simply the subject of a publicity stunt, but Maynard himself stressed that he was a longtime MMA fan and had been heavily interested in and training for the sport for nearly four years, since he attended a Randy Couture fight as a behind-the-scenes guest.

In 2007, the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission denied Maynard a license to fight in one of Oblas' Wild Bill's Fight Night events. That led Maynard to choose a fight in Alabama, where there is no MMA overseeing body.

Oblas said he and Maynard now plan to re-approach the Georgia commission and again apply for a license. They'll take the tape of Maynard's fight and hope to prove that Maynard is in no significant danger by entering the cage.

If he is again denied, Maynard could seek another fight in Alabama, and Oblas said he would not hesitate to serve as promoter again.

"I feel totally comfortable promoting another Kyle Maynard fight," Oblas said. "He just needs to go back to the drawing board and see how he can win a fight.

"Just knowing Kyle, I don't see him going out on a loss. I think we'll definitely see him fight again."

Award-winning newspaper reporter Kyle Nagel is the lead features writer for MMAjunkie.com.

AdmiralDigby

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Spooky

So at the fight last week I met the editor/owner of NW Fight Scene Magazine (an up and coming quarterly publication) we talked about camera stuff and MMA,he also mentioned  he was looking for photogs to help him shoot fights but I lost track of him before I could get more info . Anyway, I went to another fight tonight and ran into him again and he said he wished we would had been in contact because he needed another photog for the event. It was too late to get me a press pass, but he now has my info and I am on his call list for photogs! :)

I hope to be shooting up close, under the ropes shots like this...

Instead of faraway, through the ropes shots like this...

Spooky

Spooky

Spooky

I was able to get Rich Franklin's autograph for my friend Angela at work. She is a big fan of his. I'm not much of an autograph person my self so a hand shake was good enough for me.

[attachment=1]

For those who don't know, Rich is a former UFC champ and one of the most popular fighters in MMA. He was a very nice guy. He asked everyone names and even complimented me on my shirt.

[attachment=3]

Anyway my friend Angela thinks he's hot.... what do you ladies think?

[attachment=2]

SerenityValley

Quote from: Spooky on May 17, 2009, 01:16:39 AM
I was able to get Rich Franklin's autograph for my friend Angela at work. She is a big fan of his. I'm not much of an autograph person my self so a hand shake was good enough for me.

[attachment=1]

For those who don't know, Rich is a former UFC champ and one of the most popular fighters in MMA. He was a very nice guy. He asked everyone names and even complimented me on my shirt.

[attachment=3]

Anyway my friend Angela thinks he's hot.... what do you ladies think?

[attachment=2]

I think your friend Angela not only has the BEST NAME EVER, she also has good taste~
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Spooky

I just gave Angela her, Rich Franklin, autographed ticket stub and got the biggest hug in the world. :)

Spooky

Just go this message from Mike at NW Fightscene Magazine...

QuoteKelly, sorry for the long delay getting back to you
I wound up getting pneumonia and just now starting to get better.
To that end, i had planned to shoot a show tomorrow night (Sat) at highline community college in Des Moines but won't be doing it now due to recovery. All amateur show under crappy lighting but fights should be good. ANd you'd be cageside.
If you're interestsed let me know today and i'll get you in.
Cheers.
Mike Renouard

:dbanana: :dance2: :dancebana10: