• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Spooky's UFC/WEC/PRIDE MMA Thread

Started by Spooky, November 05, 2008, 09:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Spooky on April 02, 2009, 12:41:56 PM
Quote from: AdmiralDigby on March 23, 2009, 05:10:30 AM
Obtain a press pass ?

Seems I won't have to. I will be getting a staff pass for the next fight!!! My fighter friend Drew will be working promotions (not fighting) the next fight and he's going to hook me up with a event staff badge. :)

Also he said they were looking for someone to setup a photo booth at their fights so they can take photos of the fans with the fighters and ring girls, for a fee of course, and asked if I knew anyone with a portable printer.. Just so happens that a friend of the family (Bob) has portable photo printer that has been collecting dust for a few years (he used it a lot when his kids were in HS for dances and such) and has been inquiring if I would like to start up a little side business with him! These two things happening right now is Mr. Opportunity pounding on my door! It's just up to me to get it all in motion. I just fired off a message to my mom to get Bob's number so I can talk to him about it.

Drew said he saw a photo booth setup at another fight show and the guy said they took about 80 photos at $40/per. Half went to the fight organizers and half to the photographers. Thing is, that fight show was much smaller that the one I will be hopefully working. That means potentially MORE money! Crossing my fingers that I can get this off the ground!!!

I used to do hockey tournaments and swim meets .
We fell prey to the fact that everyone and his dog obtained a digital camera .
Still the first few years were very shiny .
A good tournament could bring in a couple thousand dollars .

At least you'll have an area to yourself .

I would advise a second printer .
( and camera for that matter )

Strictly for back up .
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Spooky

I still can't believe that Tyson Griffin went on to win this fight after what happened in the first round. It's not for the faint of heart. At about the 3:20 mark of the video he gets caught in a leg compression move that is just wicked!

http://www.mmatko.com/rafael-dos-anjos-vs-tyson-griffin-fight-video-ufc-fight-night-18/
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Spooky

Report: D.A. says "Mask" free of drugs and alcohol during fatal accident
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Apr 10, 2009 at 8:15 pm ET
Charles Lewis Jr., the tapout founder better known as "Mask," was not on drugs or alcohol at the time of his fatal automobile accident last month, the Orange County District Attorney's Office recently confirmed with ocregister.com.

Lewis died on March 11 in Newport Beach, Calif., when his vehicle was struck by another car driven by Jeffrey David Kirby, a two-time DUI convict who was allegedly intoxicated during his latest arrest.

The collision forced Lewis' Ferrari over a curb and into a utility poll, which nearly cut the car into two pieces. Lewis, 45, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Kirby, 51, has since been charged with vehicular manslaughter, driving under the influence, and fleeing the scene. He's being held in lieu of $500,000 bail.

Toxicology tests performed by the Orange County Coroner detected no evidence of drugs or alcohol in Lewis' system. The entrepreneur and TV host's friends had maintained since the accident that Lewis didn't drink or do drugs.

Lewis' 23-year-old girlfriend was ejected from the car during the collision. Lacy Lynn White suffered multiple injuries, including a fractured elbow, but was eventually released from the hospital.

Kirby twice had been convicted of past DUI offenses. He now faces a maximum sentence of 19 years and eight months in state prison if convicted of the new charges.

Lewis founded Tapout Clothing Inc. in 1997 with a trunk full of T-shirts and a few thousand dollars of start-up money. Over the past decade, he and his partners have made the company the biggest apparel success story in MMA.

Tapout, which grossed just $30,000 in sales in 1999, pushed that number to more than $100 million in 2008 alone. The company now has licensed retailers (including the likes of Dillard's and Champs) around the world and is one of the UFC's most prominent sponsors.

Lewis was a fixture at MMA events around the world, and his company sponsored numerous fighters. He also appeared in a TapouT TV show that airs on Versus.

A public memorial service to honor Lewis is being held April 14 at the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, Calif.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14538/report-d-a-says-mask-free-of-drugs-and-alcohol-during-fatal-accident.mma

AdmiralDigby

While his death was a terrible event , I'm not sure which makes me feel worse .
The man , with a clear mind , engaged in a stree race which is something I'd ascribe to being not in control of one's facilties .

Oh well , awful all 'round .

( I know the insuraunce would be prohibitive - but shouldn't there be places for street racers to hone/indulge their abilities away from city/town streets ? )
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Spooky

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on April 11, 2009, 07:24:59 AM
While his death was a terrible event , I'm not sure which makes me feel worse .
The man , with a clear mind , engaged in a stree race which is something I'd ascribe to being not in control of one's facilties .

Oh well , awful all 'round .

( I know the insuraunce would be prohibitive - but shouldn't there be places for street racers to hone/indulge their abilities away from city/town streets ? )

I read a report, I'll see if I can find it, but it looks like he wasn't racing. The drunk idiot in the Porsche was trying to goad him into racing and ended up running him off the road.

AdmiralDigby

I read a report, I'll see if I can find it, but it looks like he wasn't racing. The drunk idiot in the Porsche was trying to goad him into racing and ended up running him off the road.

That man was arrested , right ?
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Spooky

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on April 11, 2009, 11:33:57 AM

That man was arrested , right ?

Yep. And it's not his first time being arrest for DUI. He'll be spending time behind bars.

QuoteKirby, 51, has since been charged with vehicular manslaughter, driving under the influence, and fleeing the scene. He's being held in lieu of $500,000 bail.

Spooky

Eric