• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Tip for cooking steak

Started by TinkTanker, June 11, 2009, 05:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinkTanker

I found this on some website, tried it a couple of times, it works really well.

This works best with steaks an inch to an inch and a half or so thick, maybe two tops. Thinner than that, you ruin the steak, thicker than that, you don't get the full benefit.

Using sea salt (or kosher, but sea salt works the best) coat each side of the steak. And I mean coat it. I use a tablespoon or so on each side. No need to rub it in, just layer it on there. Cover and let rest at room temp for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the thickness of the steak. What this does is pull excess moisture out of the steak and in doing so it breaks down the proteins in the steak, tenderizing it. Any longer than an hour and the salt starts seeping into the steak. Some will, but not as much as you would think. After 45 minutes to an hour, rinse the steak off thoroughly and I mean thoroughly. Pat dry with paper towels or whatever. The steak will probably feel like it is falling apart by this point but fear not. Rub some crushed garlic and rosemary on the dried steak, along with some olive oil. Grill or broil as you normally do. You probably will not need to season with anything at all, maybe a little black pepper.

This makes sirloin are tender as ribeye, ribeye as tender as filet mignon.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Spooky

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

TinkTanker

Here is the site where I found the tip

The comments are pretty split, some hating it, some loving it. I've tried it twice and loved it. The boss tried it last night on a ribeye and he said it was the best steak he'd ever had. My advice would be to go easy on the salt the first time you try it and see how that goes.

Eric

I definitely want to give this a whirl.  Thanks, Tink.

TinkTanker

The boss said he left the salt on for 15 minutes, rinsed thoroughly, patted dry with paper towels, threw it on the grill for three minutes each side and dug in. He said the texture was definitely different, more tender.

I guess the time you leave the salt on is a big YMMV. The time I tried it, I used big cuts and Ann and split the steaks.

Pearl@32

I've been told we might be having steak this weekend.
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

Pearl@32

We tried this ~ and it turned out pretty good. I ate the whole steak.
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Pearl@32 on June 18, 2009, 07:15:46 AM

But what about your dog ?
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

TinkTanker

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on June 18, 2009, 07:35:49 AM
Quote from: Pearl@32 on June 18, 2009, 07:15:46 AM

But what about your dog ?

The dog was stringy.

Eric

Pearl bought me a new propane grill because I was like a 2-year-old moping about the house about not having one.  We're going to break it in with two giant ribeyes -- the thickest steaks I've probably ever cooked at 1.5 inches each.

I just patted them dry and put on a bunch of coarse sea salt.  I'll let them sit like that for about thirty minutes in the fridge, then take them out to warm up for 45-60 minutes.  I want to try the "reverse sear" method which goes counter to everything I've grown up to believe -- and could be a life changing event. In fact, if it's very good, it may cause me to question my whole life.

Low-n-slow until they get to temperature, then onto the hot side they go.