• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Started by Spooky, November 19, 2012, 08:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

H/T to April. She mentioned the series in a post of her's.

This is not a typical "vampire" story. I don't really know how to explain it. If you hadn't read anything about it and started a cold read, you would not even realize it's a vampire story for quite a few chapters. The beginning chapters jump between POVs in different parts of the country and end up coalescing into an intense read about 1/3 of the way though the book. That's were I am right now. The characters are well written and easy to empathize with. Parts of it remind a Crichton (R.I.P) book and it has elements of King's The Stand as well. Can't wait to finish so I can start the second book.

:like:
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Spooky

The Passage and The Twelve are finished and I can't wait for the third book to get published. It's an expansive series. Lots of characters and the chapters sometimes flash back to tell the back stories. My words could not be better than April's in describing the the tone of the series, so I will paste her words.

QuoteSadness.

Justin Cronin's The Twelve is destroying me, more so than the previous novel in this series. He handles destruction and sorrow with grace and pity, but he is merciless. He gives his characters honorable, even beautiful deaths. But they still die, and those who remain still mourn them.

This is turning out to be a surprisingly sweet and brutal series, as Cronin has managed to infuse hope into a world seemingly bereft of it. I'm savoring this book, as I savored the last.

http://inveteratescars.blogspot.com/2012/11/sadness.html

Spooky

Book three is finally out! Listening to the first to again before I tackle the 3rd. It's a heart wrenching series.