• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

I am reading/Just read...

Started by Spooky, June 04, 2008, 10:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

That book by that guy about some thrilling stuff happening. y'all should check it out.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Consigliere5

doesn't sound like my kind of thing, dude...

Spooky

Thought I'd see what all the fuss was about and got the Kindle version of the first book in the Twilight series. Young Adult/Teen Romance are not my normal cup of tea (I enjoyed Buffy a lot so...), but after reading the first 1/4 of the book, I am enjoying it. I think it is how well Stephenie Meyer describes Forks, Wa and the wonderful Wa weather. The way she write dialog helps the pages turn too. ;)

TinkTanker

Quote from: Spooky on December 03, 2008, 12:06:37 PM
Thought I'd see what all the fuss was about and got the Kindle version of the first book in the Twilight series. Young Adult/Teen Romance are not my normal cup of tea (I enjoyed Buffy a lot so...), but after reading the first 1/4 of the book, I am enjoying it. I think it is how well Stephenie Meyer describes Forks, Wa and the wonderful Wa weather. The way she write dialog helps the pages turn too. ;)

Ann always finishes every book she starts, with the exception of two (whose titles escape me). She said that while she is not quitting Twilight, she is relegating it to the "when I have absolutely nothing else to read" stack.
[spoiler]
She said it was like Buffy without the Vampire Slayer bit. Angsty teen angst with mopey vampire who is trying not to be the typical vampire in love with the heroine of the story, and badboy vampire who is everything but actually named Spike.[/spoiler]
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Spooky

Quote from: TinkTanker on December 03, 2008, 12:19:53 PM
Quote from: Spooky on December 03, 2008, 12:06:37 PM

Ann always finishes every book she starts, with the exception of two (whose titles escape me). She said that while she is not quitting Twilight, she is relegating it to the "when I have absolutely nuthin' else to read" stack.
[spoiler]
She said it was like Buffy without the Vampire Slayer bit. Angsty teen angst with mopey vampire who is trying not to be the typical vampire in love with the heroine of the story, and badboy vampire who is everything but actually named Spike.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Definitely has a Buffy/Angel feel to it so far. Sadly I had book 4 spoiled for me this morning. Two women on the bus were talking about it. :( It was weird, there were 5 people (including me) reading a Twilight book on the bus this morning. I was the only cool kid with a Kindle though. ;) [/spoiler]

Spooky

Reading Twilight got me on a vampire kick. I am reading Dead Until Dark right now.

Not much of a spoiler, but...

[spoiler]I wonder if Stephanie Meyer "borrowed' the mind reading idea from Charlaine Harris? In Dead Until Dark, Sookie can read minds except for Bill's (the vamp). in Twilight, Edward (the vamp) can read minds except for Bella's. I've only read chapter 1 so far, so I don't know if there are any other similarities. [/spoiler]

TinkTanker

Quote from: Spooky on December 15, 2008, 12:52:01 PM
Reading Twilight got me on a vampire kick. I am reading Dead Until Dark right now.

Not much of a spoiler, but...

[spoiler]I wonder if Stephanie Meyer "borrowed' the mind reading idea from Charlaine Harris? In Dead Until Dark, Sookie can read minds except for Bill's (the vamp). in Twilight, Edward (the vamp) can read minds except for Bella's. I've only read chapter 1 so far, so I don't know if there are any other similarities. [/spoiler]

I watched and loved the HBO series, watch it if you can. I'm going to start the book soon, but the series was excellent.

SerenityValley

QuoteI was the only cool kid with a Kindle though.

Sucks about the spoiler on the bus, but kewl that you had your Kindle w/ya!!  If I didn't get motion sickness from reading in a car that would be a good idea for me.  Especially on the trips to the lake, etc.
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

AdmiralDigby

Just finished Derrick Robinson's "Piece of Cake" about the RAF during the first year of WWII ( ends with the Blitz on London ) .
Utterly brilliant .
One of the best books I have ever read .
( in fact this was my second go 'round as I'd first read it twenty years ago )

Highly recommended .

I am now reading another DR novel called "Eldorado Network" which is a spy story set in WWII Spain .

Also reading "A Feast for Crows" which is the latest in the Song of Fire and Ice series and am slumming between both with the "Sword of Skelos" , a Conan novel .

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

TinkTanker