• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

new season starts tonight...

Started by Consigliere5, January 13, 2009, 04:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Pearl@32

I hope Anoop gets in the competition via wild card. Liked him a lot.

The problem I have with a new season is I'm always comparing the new contestants to the old ones. The guy who sang "A Song for You" (Ricky Braddy) was in just in a different range than Elliott Yamin's performance 3 years ago. Elliott has a tone to his voice that is just smooth and deeper. And I've witnessed Bo Bice (S4) singing "I Don't Wanna Be" live so you gotta bring it if you're going to be impress me. Michael Sarver did a reputable job, but nothing special. (I"m sooooo biased. Can't help it, I loved Season 4.)
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

Saxon

I think what bothers me so much is that both Paula and Simon don't even try to hide who they KNOW is going to 'win'. I haven't believed this thing is 'the audience choosing' since the beginning....Little blond girl and 'dead wife guy' are gonna go to the final top three at least.

I could also see the way the split the groups into 12, they already rigged that so that their faves weren't up against each other too much.

I don't even bother voting anymore...I think it's just out of habit that I even watch.

So glad they got rid of mentally ill girl!!

Spooky

Quote from: Saxon on February 19, 2009, 01:42:18 PM
'dead wife guy'

Or, as I like to call him,  stupid looking glasses guy.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Saxon

Quote from: Spooky on February 19, 2009, 01:45:01 PM
Quote from: Saxon on February 19, 2009, 01:42:18 PM
'dead wife guy'

Or, as I like to call him,  stupid looking glasses guy.

Yeah, him.

I'm sorry, but I just could NOT believe that he was a '4 weeks passed widower' at his first audition, and his 'best friend' who went on to Hollywood too was 'just his friend'...I know, I know, my evil mind again. But last night, a different guy sitting with 'best friend guy' was holding a pic of the 'couple' and he appeared to have been crying.

Seriously though. Did he act like a mourning (only FOUR weeks) husband when we first saw him audition?

Pearl@32

I dunno. They do witness the rehearsals and formulate their thoughts before the live show (we saw that with Paula last year). But there are too many times where they have predicted contenders and they've fallen flat on their faces. They thought David Archuleta was a shoe-in (I know I did) ~ all you have to do is listen to the voice ~ but David Cook proved he had something to offer. He became the forerunner on the nights he sung "Eleanor Rigby" and "Billie Jean."

Simon was a judge for a UK competition show on which Leona Lewis was a contestant and he sang her praises every week. And she deserved it: she picked the right songs ~ they happened to be some of the most challenging songs to sing ~ "Loving You," "Without You," and "The First thyme Ever I Saw Your Face" ~ and she sung them flawlessly. (I YouTubed.)

Kelly Clarkson was not a frontrunner from the beginning, but in the weeks where they were performing on the big stage, she was proving herself.

They were plenty of people in whom the judges had great faith since Hollywood week and they just didn't perform well. Do I think the judges have an unfair bias on the voting? You bet! But think about this: Taylor Hicks had a lot of fans. Simon didn't like him from the beginning, and I don't know if he ever really won him over. Chris Daughtry was the frontrunner, and surprise, he got voted out. Taylor had the talent; he just wasn't "Idol material." Chris had the most success after Idol; his band's CD went multi-platinum and he is radio-friendly. I haven't bought his CD because I hear him on the radio all the thyme. And I would, he's got great songs.

I think it's still America's vote...with a bit of influence. ;)
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

Saxon

I never understood the appeal of Taylor Hicks...he made me sick just to watch him....he's the main reason I stopped voting and watch as regularly.

I know there is alot of editing during he pre-lems, and they try to spot light who they think will shine....but boy, some of them are treated like they've already won.

I though it was a hoot that they already booted that one gal who'd had a couple other 'recording deals' and quietly replaced her.

I think the reason David Cook was the winner was because, for me he was more marketable/talented...and also because he'd already won some other (Star Search) comepetition and I think they were legally covering their butts.

Lots' of behind the scenes stuff going on..it is 'Show Biz' after all.

Pearl@32

Both Davids (Cook and Archuleta) are extremely marketable. Win-win for Idol!

Archuleta hit the airwaves first with "Crush," which is a very nice debut. Archuleta was the one who won Star Search's junior vocal competition in 2003 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Archuleta). Cook got local accolades for Analog Heart, his only solo release prior to Idol, and released 4 independent CDs with Axium (the band he co-founded in high school).

/I know too much about these people.

Saxon

I think that is why 'working man' went through. From exactly what Simon said, "YOU are what this competition is supposed to be about...' *can't remember exact quote* but he was talking about taking a regular joe, not a person who'd already been 'discovered'...someone 'off the street', or from 'out of the field'....not a person with prior successes.

I agree. When I hear that they'd already had something recorded and they 'didn't make it'...I figure they've had their chance. Let the little guys through.

Feel that way about Survivor too. This year one guy is already a millionaire! And one gal is the wife of a famous football player and has her own successful business. Why are they even on there? Good grief. I think the black gal already realizes she's cut her own throat cuz she couldn't resist basking in the adulation of the guys who knew who her husband was.

Then, on Amazing Race...one team are professional stunt men brothers! How unfair is that? And then the guy who wrote 'School of Rock' is there with is successful author father. Why?

Give the little (POOR) people a chance at fame and/or fortune...

Pearl@32

Almost seems like having connections or an agent helps one to get on these shows. There are also actors who "try out" for these shows, too. But then, reality has been popular and they need to pay the bills like anybody else. Doesn't help the real actors who want to work on a non-reality show and the average regular people who want a chance, too. I think one of the reasons why I don't play the lottery is if I won I wouldn't want my face plastered everywhere and your compliance in the lottery using your likeness is required should you win.