• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

The Instant Pot Experience

Started by Eric, August 03, 2018, 01:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

As I mentioned in the Reuban thread, we got a 6qt Instant Pot 7-in-1.  While it is mainly a pressure cooker, that time we used it as a slow-cooker, albeit a small one compared to our actual 6qt slow cooker:

Quote from: Eric on March 17, 2018, 02:16:14 AM
So we bought a 6qt Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 to go with our Cuisinart 6qt slow cooker, in hopes of haiving room-enough to cook everything.  I didn't realize that most of the Instat Pot's volume is vertical, and can only be filled to about the 4qt/1gal line, max.

Twice now, we've used it as a pressure cooker for beef pot roasts.  Holy smokes it is easy, and so much safer than the stovetop one that was once so familiar in kitchens.  It makes pressure cooking as easy as crock cooking; once the meat is sautéed and ingredients added just set the cook time, close the valve on the lid, and forget it.  When done, it beeps and one just flips open the valve.  Steam releases for 30 seconds to a minute and we're ready to go.

This short video shows how easy it is, and is coincidentally the same simple recipe:

I'm on a low-carb diet so haven't tried the veggies part, but they look delicious.  This, by far, beats the packaged sliced deli meat we'd been buying.

Pearl@32

Made white chicken chili in less than 45 minutes of prep + cook + depressurizing. Beyond easy. I am making a contract with myself to use the InstaPot at least once a week.

https://natashaskitchen.com/instant-pot-white-chicken-chili/
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

Spooky

we have an instant pot at home but I have never used it.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

Surprise your brother and sister and make that pot roast.  It's amazingly simple and fast.  You even saute the roast before pressure cooking it, so the meat looks nice and has a good texture.  I haven't tried the veggies part of the recip, but maybe next time.

One of our friends quit smoking ribs and started using his IP instead.  Sure, you miss the smoke but they're tender and much easier. One of our friends is afraid to get one because of fears of it blowing up, but these cookers are much safer than the ones our parents used to use.  There's even a quick release to depressurize.  It takes maybe two minutes or so.

Pearl@32

OK, maybe I need to re-think using the InstaPot at least once a month.......cause I made Chicken Tikka Masala on Sunday 11/4.

It tasted authentic (used garam masala + other spices) but not *exactly* like an Indian restaurant. Sauce was lumpier — perhaps restaurants simmer for many more than just 4-1/2 hours, or they puree or add more butter to make it creamier. Used heavy cream at the end, but no butter....just plain whole milk yogurt.

We have tried sooooo many tikka sauces and frozen meals to re-capture the taste of our old Indian restaurant that closed up years ago. There are a couple restaurants in the area do come close, but Bombay Grill was just stellar. A co-worker and I ate at a lunch buffet where the tikka masala was spicy....it was really different! So maybe just a few tweaks and experimentations are needed to perfect the meal to our liking. Plus, real cooking, no preservatives.

Spooky, make the damn pot roast. "You're welcome!"
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

Spooky

I'm to lazy or my depression is keeping me from having the motivation to cook much\, but i love me some Tikka Masala.

Pearl@32

I go through phases with cooking myself. Luckily I have found that if I just focus on getting all the ingredients together, cooking can relax me. However, when I am cooking for one of our monthly dinners, I am a raving lunatic / nervous wreck.

Cooking with fresh ingredients + minimal prep time = Better than buying fast food or processed ready-to-eat meals. It's a hard fact. That doesn't make me NOT stop by Chick-Fil-A's drive thru to pick up chicken sandwiches.  :rofl:

/needed quick meal tonight

Pearl@32

Eric made sliced Bavarian brats and sauerkraut Saturday night, which he usually makes in an iron skillet. Instapot meal in 15-20 mins and it was even better than the skillet version. He added 1/3 cup chicken broth, tbsp of brown mustard, 4 diced slices of bacon and tbsp of brown sugar. The tartness of the sauerkraut was toned down and everything blended nicely. Brats were very tender and flavorful; it's not the same when skillet-fried.

I have a block of cream cheese sitting in the fridge...it's either going to a meal or cheesecake. Ooh, tis the season for pumpkin....cream cheese + pumpkin can make a great gooey cheesecake.

Spooky

Eric

Fanstastic deal on the same unit that we bought.  $50:  https://slickdeals.net/f/13237054-instant-pot-duo-6qt-7-in-1-pressure-cooker-49-99

We still use it fairly regularly, even if it's only for some rice.  Last week, Sara used it as a small slow cooker for some tasty chicken tikka masala.