• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Another good episode

Started by Spooky, April 10, 2009, 10:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Phyll33 on April 11, 2009, 03:10:43 PM
Quote from: AdmiralDigby on April 11, 2009, 02:51:50 PM
Quote from: Eric on April 11, 2009, 01:35:52 PM
"Formula" is why we have three CSI, four Law&Order (or whatever number) and no Firefly.
The sad thing is that it works.  We hate it, but there are plenty who dig it.

That's because the masses lack the concentration needed to follow a serialized show .
Perhaps if we had camps to improve their attention spans .

Concentration camps ?

:-\

Still here. Just about ready to shut down but had to comment on this. The masses have been watching
serialized shows for decades. Look at the popularity of soap operas so that doesn't compute as to their
reason. Look at how popular shows like Dallas and Dynasty were. When did this mindless same every
week come about? It hasn't been that long ago. It appears that the PTB got scared of trying anything
different or there was a turn over at the top a decade ago and the new guys just didn't have the gumption
or guts to do anything except the sure thing.

We've always had the "reset" shows , Hawaii 5-0 , CHIPs , Magnum PI , etc .....

And we've had the episodic model as well - Buffy and Hill Street Blues for example .

It just strikes me that the extreme success of the police/medical/detective procedurals means that formula shows have taken over again .
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Phyll33

Oh, I agree they have taken over but I'm like others, I don't understand why, since the serial shows have
been popular in the past. They are still popular on cable and even shows like the Closer and Saving Grace
have a serial vibe to them but then they don't get that big an audience. So maybe cable has grabbed that
group and the alphabet networks just play to the ADD crowd.

TinkTanker

Phyll, take care, enjoy your vacation from the madhouses, and have a safe journey. We will miss you!
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Phyll33 on April 11, 2009, 03:34:40 PM

Oh, I agree they have taken over but I'm like others, I don't understand why, since the serial shows have
been popular in the past. They are still popular on cable and even shows like the Closer and Saving Grace
have a serial vibe to them but then they don't get that big an audience. So maybe cable has grabbed that
group and the alphabet networks just play to the ADD crowd.

I'll agree that it seems that cable channels are more amenable to serialised programmes .
I guess it's simply the number game .
Big 4 need big ratings .
The rest ?
More than happy to have critical acclaim and lesser eyeballs .

So , why do we even bother with the Big Four ?

We saw what happened to our auto industry .
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

geogal

Part of the reason is that serial shows are hard to pick up if you didn't watch it from the first, and you happen to miss episodes in the middle. Take Lost or Farscape.  I keep meaning to get the Farscape dvds to watch from the first, but I've never gotten around to it.  Plenty of people stopped watching Lost because, amongst other reasons, it was hard to keep up with.  I look at my sister's family where they have a schedule built around volleyball practice/tournaments, basketball practice/games, track practice/meets, two demanding jobs, school, and hobbies.  They're a family full of smart people(the kind who would dig many of our favorite shows), but they won't live as slaves to the DVR.  I can't blame them.  I've cut back on my tv watching myself.  It may be on in the background, but there are only a few shows that I bother following religiously (especially now that Stargate and BSG are gone, and Supernatural is only set for one more season).  It's amazing how much time it frees up.

As for the plethora of Law & Orders/CSIs, people are drawn to the bizarre and disturbing.  Name a freaky fetish, and most of the populace picked up on it from CSI Las Vegas (most folks I know had never heard of a furry or infantilism).  Also, if you don't watch a formulaic show every week?  It doesn't seem so formulaic.  You can drop in and not have to worry about what complicated plotline you've missed.

I gave Dollhouse a shot even though the premise did nothing for me, nor did the lead actress.  It never captured me.  I always think of what Keckler used to say at Television Without Pity:  Demand the most from your shows.  Don't let them get away with lazy just because you feel you have no other options.  Breaking down and watching sub-standard sci fi/genre/etc. just teaches the industry that they can get away with only producing sub-standard sci fi/genre/etc.

Rosie

This is how I described this episode:

You know that  feeling, when you're getting a massage and they hit the spot and you go "Ooooooooh".

That's how I felt watching Dollhouse. It was that good.

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: geogal on April 11, 2009, 05:51:11 PM

I gave Dollhouse a shot even though the premise did nuthin' for me, nor did the lead actress.  It never captured me.  I always think of what Keckler used to say at Television Without Pity:  Demand the most from your shows.  Don't let them get away with lazy just because you feel you have no other options.  Breaking down and watching sub-standard sci fi/genre/etc. just teaches the industry that they can get away with only producing sub-standard sci fi/genre/etc.

Yeah , but Dollhouse is pretty spiffy now .
I do agree that Eliza wasn't the best choice for a lead , but it is her show .
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze