• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Leverage

Started by Spooky, December 07, 2008, 10:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phyll33

Quote from: Saxon on January 28, 2009, 04:32:42 PM
During the commercials they run on On Demand, they keep showing scenes from "Saving Grace"...I wanna know when that is gonna start up again. I loved that show!

I know The Closer restarted this week so I would think Saving Grace would be back up already. I have
mixed feelings about Saving Grace. I thought I would really like it since I like Holly Hunter and I knew the
area it was supposed to be filmed in so well. BUT a little bit of Holly Hunter goes a long way and her
character is not very likable and it is hard for me to believe that this skinny scrawny 50 year old is
supposed to be such a sex symbol to all these guys. It's such a train wreck of a show and part and I
really dislike her partner Ham. Also I haven't heard an OK accent among any of them and since that
is such a strong accent and very noticeable part of the state it stands out for me.  :laugh: Other than
the bombing memorial they really haven't captured the area too well and that was a disappointment.

Saxon

Yeah, the seeing her boney nekkid back with her ribs showing through her skin just made me wonder what kind of 'men' are livin' in that area. hehe.

*shudder*

Phyll33

Quote from: Saxon on January 29, 2009, 05:45:23 PM
Yeah, the seeing her boney nekkid back with her ribs showing through her skin just made me wonder what kind of 'men' are livin' in that area. hehe.

*shudder*

:laugh:

Not that desperate I assure you. :)  Actually most women there are not that kind of skinny but many keep
themselves in shape because the warm weather lets them get out a lot. They have their share of overweight
population though. I think Holly is supposed to be younger than she is in this but do they think having her
be this thin makes her look it? Since OK is a predominately bible belt state with the religion very much some
form of Baptist I thought the emphasis on Catholics was a little odd too.

Saxon

Yeah, I guess I the idea of Catholic gave them more possibilities for story lines? How many Babptist have made news in recent (like since the Timothy McVey thing) years?

They are showing just how damaged she is...I guess they didn't have enough headlines to back it up if she were just a regular 'Bible Belt Bible Thumper'. :beatsme:

I still like the show. I love Earl. He's my kind of Angel.

Most places in the Bible that talk about Angels 'visiting' have them doing things like walking down the road, sharing a meal, and so on...usually it's only the 'man of God' amongst them who even recognise them as Angels. So, in that way, I think Earl fits right in! I LOVE how her best friend realized that she saw and spoke to Earl, but can't really put her finger on what he looked like! That gave me goosebumps. I KNOW there have been real Angels who've come into contact with people. That plane crash into the river the other day reminded me of a similar tragedy...one where mulitiple people reported a man coming into the water to rescue them, then going back out for others...no one ever found out who he was, and he was never accounted for as one of the passengers that was 'lost' or even as any 'missing person' who might have just stopped to help. I've always believed he was an Angel.

Phyll33

Oh, they could have a field day with Baptists but maybe not with the priest pedophile thing they were going
for. :)

Earle is the best thing about the show but I do wish more progress was made with her. I guess they will
get there eventually but they better do it quick before anorexia gets her. :)

Saxon

Quote from: Phyll33 on January 30, 2009, 09:52:46 AM

Oh, they could have a field day with Baptists but maybe not with the priest pedophile thing they were going
for. :)

Earle is the best thing about the show but I do wish more progress was made with her. I guess they will
get there eventually but they better do it quick before anorexia gets her. :)

Yeah, they REALLY had to have her screwed up, so the mix of child molestation/religion thing was a must do. BUT, as someone told me on the OB (hehe, of all people Tamara), if she gets 'saved' too soon, the show will end!

I don't want it dragged out too long, this is the kind of story I'd be happy to see wind up in just a few 'seasons' (since they are so short anyway). Once God makes himself so obviously known to you, the longer you hold out, the more likely you are NOT going to accept him. Of course, this could go on for 40 years if they want to emulate how God kept giving the Hebrews 'chances' in the wilderness! hehe. I'd hate to see Grace lost after being told that we were going to witness her 'saving'.

The nice thing, bringing reality into the mix, is that if the makers of this show are Christians, and have dealt with those who've had this much baggage washed away through the Blood of Jesus...then they would HAVE to know that as soon as she starts to believe (which she is), even more crap comes your way (Spiritual Attack)...then, when you DO accept the Lord, there is still that 'war' going on...takes awhile before satan decides that you are a 'lost cause' and moves on. We should see her take a step forward, then something happens that makes her wanna take two steps back (which they've been doing pretty well). I want to hear her (and she may have, I've missed some eps) say to Earl, something along the lines of 'why have things gotten worse since you showed up?"...whereas he can answer something along the lines of 'Grace, you've heard of this 'war on terror' goin' on in the world? Well, hon, what's happenin' in heaven, and with your soul in particular, makes that little skirmish look like a fight over the last cookie between toddlers!".

heh.

I love me my Earl!

Phyll33

I bought the DVD of the first season and haven't watched anything else. The ending of the first season
sort of had that move forward step back thing. I really hate her partner Ham. He comes across as so
stupid and not really like someone she would find attractive mentally although I guess that is not what
she is looking at. I don't find him very attractive physically either but I'm sure that is just me. That is
the problem I have with many shows, If I don't like the looks of the people then I usually don't care for
the shows. I guess that is shallow of me but I can't help it. :) They don't have to be good looking just
appealing. Like the Closer, there aren't too many beautiful people there but the whole cast is just very
appealing too me. The people in the department of Saving Grace just aren't even though one is quite
good looking.

Rosie

Hey! This is the Leverage Thread. I keep  hoping for more discussion.

I'm not watching Saving Grace.

Phyll33

Quote from: Rosie on January 30, 2009, 02:44:03 PM
Hey! This is the Leverage Thread. I keep  hoping for more discussion.

I'm not watching Saving Grace.

:)

I'm sorry, it got thread jacked didn't it. I'm looking forward to watching Leverage when it comes out
on DVD.

Saxon

Sorry, I have to wait to watch the eps, with my wacky sleep cycle, so I'm trying not to check in here right after an ep airs. It's just that on on On Demand, they always have commercials of all the TNT shows and I keep thinking I need to check out some of the others, since Saving Grace is the only one I've seen of them.

It's been really fun watching Leverage with Tom, since we very rarely agree on shows. When even he does that little out loud chuckle, you know it's a hoot!

I love how all the characters are already so well defined, even with me (and Tom) missing the first ep, we KNOW the characters, and sometimes with just a look, or a stab in the chest with a fork, a whole past is laid out!!

That totally cracked him up!

Good stuff.