• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Castle: Case Closed

Started by Pearl@32, May 12, 2016, 07:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pearl@32

Holy, backlash: Castle will not be moving forward without its leading lady after all.

In the wake of the firestorm that has erupted following leading lady Stana Katic's confirmed ouster, ABC has cancelled  the venerable procedural, TVLine has learned. The axing comes despite ABC Studios closing new one-year deals with star Nathan Fillion and several supporting players, including Jon Huertas and Seamus Dever.

Katic's exit — which was reportedly a budgetary move on ABC's part — was announced last month. Longtime co-star Tamala Jones was similarly let go. At the time, Katic said in a statement, "Rather then distract from what was an amazing experience, I would just like to say that I'm very grateful to ABC for giving me the opportunity to be a part of a much beloved show. Thank you to the fans."

Several days later, Fillion released a statement of his own in which he thanked Katic "for creating the character of Beckett," before adding, "I wish her well, and have no doubt she will succeed in everything she pursues. She will be missed."

Exec producer Alexi Hawley previously told TVLine that if Castle was renewed then next Monday's finale would end in a "dynamic" way that allowed the show to move forward in a slightly altered incarnation — meaning, sans Katic and Jones. However, if Castle was cancelled, an alternate, closure-filled ending would be swapped in.

http://tvline.com/2016/05/12/castle-cancelled-season-9-beckett-stana-katic/
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

Pearl@32

News just broke about 2 hours ago that Castle will be ending next Monday May 16th, no Season 9.

I have been on fricking pins and needles waiting for news and now that it is here, it is a bit bittersweet.  Just for posterity's sake:

:um:

I didn't like the fact that Stana Katic and Tamala Jones were let go and I let the rumors about Nathan and Stana not getting along fester in my brain. Until I remembered that Nathan is a stand-up guy...but we might never know. The one thing is Stana's onscreen time seemed shortened this season and I admit I wasn't having as much fun watching as I used to. I think the new showrunners screwed the pooch by having Beckett act exactly like Castle the previous year....the breaking up was not working and I am glad that finally, they started to communicate and be close again. Not really sure if there was some behind the scenes drama, but the fact that the cast members had no idea that Stana and Tamala were being let go is kinda crazy. Jon Huertas (Esposito) tweeted that he learned about their firings online. I hope it didn't get bad, but they keep Beckett and Castle apart a lot this season.

I still love(d) the show and am glad that they planned ahead in case the finale became the series finale.

PS. I am really sorry I mislabeled the Castle Season 9 thread — it was technically 8. DUH. :doh:
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

Spooky

What?  >:(

Quote from: Pearl@32 on May 12, 2016, 07:10:58 PM
News just broke about 2 hours ago that Castle will be ending next Monday May 16th, no Season 9.

I have been on fricking pins and needles waiting for news and now that it is here, it is a bit bittersweet.  Just for posterity's sake:

:um:

I didn't like the fact that Stana Katic and Tamala Jones were let go and I let the rumors about Nathan and Stana not getting along fester in my brain. Until I remembered that Nathan is a stand-up guy...but we might never know. The one thing is Stana's onscreen time seemed shortened this season and I admit I wasn't having as much fun watching as I used to. I think the new showrunners screwed the pooch by having Beckett act exactly like Castle the previous year....the breaking up was not working and I am glad that finally, they started to communicate and be close again. Not really sure if there was some behind the scenes drama, but the fact that the cast members had no idea that Stana and Tamala were being let go is kinda crazy. Jon Huertas (Esposito) tweeted that he learned about their firings online. I hope it didn't get bad, but they keep Beckett and Castle apart a lot this season.

I still love(d) the show and am glad that they planned ahead in case the finale became the series finale.

PS. I am really sorry I mislabeled the Castle Season 9 thread — it was technically 8. DUH. :doh:
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Phyll33

I'm sad but not surprised. The last season or so has not been the best. They went off the deep end on some story lines that kept playing out through the season. Stana didn't want to
come back this year and I guess much was done to try and keep her. She probably became a pain in the neck to them. As far as Nathan and her getting along I understand they were
once a couple in real life and then broke it off with much resentment following. Nathan found his girlfriend he now has when she guest starred on the show and Stana married someone
from one of the Baltic countries I believe. Anyhow what ever made their real life relationship go poof  probably caused a rift that they never seemed to get over and they have been
disliking each other off set ever since.

Pearl@32

Well if they were ever together they certainly kept it under wraps. I never ever saw anything in the online tabloids. But co-stars *do* end up having affairs or getting together on/off set. Supposedly Stana's now-husband made a cameo on a 2013 Castle episode, but I don't know much else about him (they got married April 2015). Nathan is like the ultimate man-child-old-Clooney-playboy. I don't think he's dated anyone for an extended period of time... a lot of women with big boobs who are probably lovely women...but just not the right one.

I heard last year that she had tense negotiations with ABC but that this year ABC decided not to renew her contract, which to me, equals fired. She certainly had less screen time with Nathan this year....

Nathan's "cool" response was taken horribly—like, why didn't he say he wouldn't return without Stana? Hmmm. It's just a bad situation all around. The fact remains he didn't go that route and it's just a little telling. YES, the show is named Castle, but it wasn't Castle without Beckett.

I think ABC or the actors' publicists were shitty about saying Nathan, Jon, and Seamus were on for Season 9, but ultimately the right thing was done. It hasn't been the greatest season, it hasn't been the worst, but it hasn't been the same since creator Andrew Marlowe left. The last two seasons were the first seasons if I missed it live, it didn't bother me.

However, I am glad that they were able to break the "Moonlighting" spell and keep a romance going between the two main characters.

Always. xoxo

Pearl@32

At any rate, I already had a drinky-drink and finished off the store brand Samoas. :yana:

Spooky

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Pearl@32

Finales was a little anti-climactic....but oh well. It still had me on pins and needles.