• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

American Idle Chat

Started by Pearl@32, April 15, 2008, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Phyll33

Quote from: Pearl@32 on May 22, 2008, 08:21:49 PM
I'd have to say my favorite performances of his were:
"Eleanor Rigby"
"Day Tripper"
"Hello"
"Always Be My baby"
"All I Ever Really Need is You"

I like the performances more than the studio songs. There's more of an edge to the performances. Although I must say his voice is VERY good on his cover of "Billie Jean," even better than the Chris Cornell version he was emulating. And supposedly there are no orchestral strings in the background of the studio version of "Always Be My Baby" -- I'll take 2 minutes of Cook and strings any day.

I thought Archuleta sang better on Tuesday, but I think they were neck and neck for performance throughout the season. They both had great nights and bad nights.

I was psyched to find out George Michael is touring. Thought he was quitting. No one ever quits these days, not even when they're dead!

And I give Carly her props...she wasn't a favorite at all, but she was one of the more exciting singers in the group numbers. Castro took her spot Andrew Lloyd Webber night.  :wall:

We'll see what happens. Hope Cook can compromise...those Idol devils are pretty controlling. His 2006 debut was pretty dang good, and I would love for him to re-record something from there.

I liked his final numbers especially "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For". I would loved to have heard
a full version "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face". It sounded like he would have really done something special
with that. His voice is a throwback to the rockers of old that could sing and weren't drowned out by the instruments.
Probably why he had a lot of older women voting for him, his voice brought back memories and it certainly didn't
hurt to see the makeover he had. His voice got better each week and so did his looks.  :laugh:

I didn't watch the show I just watched the You Tube vids and I think I was able to see what Simon missed
during the show and did a backtrack on when he reviewed the tapes from the finals. He apologized to David
for his lack of respect and I think when he reviewed the tapes he saw the stage presence coming through
from Cook as well as his voice. David A just didn't have that when you see and hear the vids. I kept wondering
why they said David A won the night when I was seeing Cook just melt the audience. I think he saw that
finally on the tapes and realized it wasn't exactly as they called it on Tues. night.

His songs are the first ones of any of these idols that I like to listen to. I hope he does well, he seems very
genuine.  :)

Phyll33

Quote from: Eric on May 23, 2008, 05:14:46 AM
Quote from: Phyll33 on May 22, 2008, 07:22:36 AM
  I'm so glad Cook won.

Go Missouri!

:)

I heard he was originally from Tulsa, OK.

Eric

Durn non (Missouri) natives.
Wiki says he was born in Houston, TX and raised in Misery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cook_(singer)

Phyll33

Hmmm, I know I wasn't seeing things. I knew he was presently living in Missouri but somewhere I read
he was originally from OK. Oh well, doesn't matter he's still from my old stomping grounds part of the country.
A lot of good musicians out that way.

Phyll33

Okay, I found where I heard he was from Tulsa. On one of his audition tapes he says himself that he is
from Tulsa, OK. I remember him saying he was making a recording there so I guess that is where he
was living when he auditioned.

Thank goodness, I thought I was hearing things.  :laugh:

Eric

LOL Silly.

Well, Wiki has never been known for its factualness.

Phyll33

No, he is from Missouri and went to college there but evidently was living in Tulsa at the time of the
auditions and doing the music scene there. Nice kid. I've been reading some of the interviews he's been
doing and saw the Jay Leno interview and he is really poised on camera. Very much a  natural. I hope he
does well.  :)

Eric

He was Pearl's favorite too.  I don't think from the very beginning... I think the Aussie guy had that early on.  But she had picked Cook about midway.

I could be mistaken, but that was my take on her picks.  I didn't really pay much attention to AI.

Phyll33

I never watched the show just got interested when people were talking about the contestants. I clicked on
You Tube to listen to some of them and did a Whoa! when I heard Cook. As I said before he definitely has
that rocker of old voice which is very appealing and his makeover through out the show turned him from a
kind of squirrely nerdy looking guy into a hunk. He definitely started getting the old broad vote after that.  :laugh:

It's nice to see someone that talented win. I'm sure there are a lot of musicians out there struggling along
just because they can't get the exposure. He's paid his dues in that arena and it's good to see it being rewarded.
What a nice story to go along with it too. Going there to support his brother and his other heartbreaking story
with his other brother having brain cancer. Sounds right out of central casting.