• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Man Changes Name to "Captain Awesome"

Started by Pearl@32, December 09, 2010, 07:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pearl@32

This is for real. I saw it on my morning news, complete with showing the driver's license.

Man Changes Name to "Captain Awesome"
News by Celebrity Smack
(8 Hours Ago) in Entertainment

Just call him awesome. Captain Awesome.

An Oregon man has legally changed his name from Doug Allen Smith Jr. to Captain Awesome.

Why? Because he was inspired by Devon, a character on NBC's Chuck. The new Captain Awesome says: "I just thought it was really funny that Devon's father always called him Captain Awesome, because 'a poor nickname builds good character,'" he tells The New York Post.

Doug Allen Smith Jr. a.k.a. Captain Awesome, is a 27-year-old unemployed cabinet maker.

A Lane County Circuit Court Judge approved the name change as well as Captain Awesome's new signature, a smiley face with arrows pointing at it from each side.

Captain Awesome, unemployed. Who woulda thunk?

[Source: New York Post]
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

Pearl@32

'Chuck's' real Captain Awesome Ryan McPartlin on his namesake: 'Pretty damn ingenious'
By Hanh Nguyen
December 8, 2010 4:50 PM ET

Captain Awesome is all about making the world a better place, even if it requires sharing his name.

Ryan McPartlin, who plays Devon "Captain Awesome" Woodcomb on NBC's spy comedy-drama "Chuck," is well aware of Douglas Allen Smith, an Oregon man who legally changed his name to "Captain Awesome" in November.

"I'd love to say I was totally shocked," McPartlin tells Zap2it, "but nothing our fans do surprises me at this point. Our fans are pretty damn ingenious. This is no exception to that."

He first learned about the homage from an email from his buddy.

"I was like, 'Oh, that's kind of funny,'" he says. "Then all of a sudden the emails started pouring in from all over the country. Every news outlet picked it up. CNN did a piece on it. Washington Post, New York Times, USA Today did something on it. I was like, 'Wow it's amazing how much this show has become a part of pop culture. Now it's at a whole other level with people adopting our name.'"

Besides, McPartlin identifies with idolizing a character on a TV series, although he'd probably pick one from a '70s or '80s TV show.

"It's a good thing I wasn't able to legally change my name [when I was younger]. I would've been The Fonz or Rerun," he admits. " Back in the day those were my shows. I'd probably be Sam Malone actually."

As for the original Captain Awesome, he'd give his blessing to the unemployed guy who took his name. He's used to homages and even has 10-foot statue made in his image as thanks from the Generalissimo of Costa Gravas.

"Absolutely Devon would be very flattered by it," says the actor. "Devon is just a good dude, man. If adopting the name 'Captain Awesome' makes somebody that much better in life or makes their day brighter, he'd be all for it. He's like that positive coach we all wanted to have."

Of all the "Chuck" characters, Captain Awesome is a no-brainer if you're looking for a role model. McPartlin insists, however, that Smith had initially considered honoring another "Chuck" character.

"I said to Josh Gomez that he originally wanted to do 'Morgan Grimes,' but the judge wouldn't allow that because he was thought it was 'cruel and unusual punishment,'" says McPartlin, adding, "Totally teasing."

"Chuck" airs on NBC Monday nights.

Check back with Zap2it for more with Ryan McPartlin as he discusses what's next for Devon and a Celeb Slam Book.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2010/12/chucks-real-captain-awesome-ryan-mcpartlin-on-his-namesake-pretty-damn-ingenious.html
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

AdmiralDigby

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Spooky

:headbang:

I think I've posted this before, but here it is again. My friend Jason changed his middle name to Megatron.

July 2nd, 2007

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

TinkTanker

When I was a kid I wanted to change my birthday so I'd have a better astrological sign.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"