• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Moore and Eick post finale Q&A's

Started by geogal, March 21, 2009, 08:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pearl@32

QuoteWith the use of "All Along The Watchtower," are you trying to get at some notion that there is some universal consciousness that goes back as far as the human/cylon races' arrival?

Moore: The notion is sort of how you posited it. The music, the lyrics, the composition, is divine, eternal, it's something that lives in the collective unconsciousness of everyone in the show and all of us today. It's a musical theme that repeats itself and crops up in unexpected places. Different people hear it and pluck it out of the ether and write songs. It's a connection of the divine and the mortal. Music is something that people literally catch out of the air and can't really define exactly how they composed it. [So] here is a song that transcends many eons and many different people and cultures and the stars, and was ultimately reinvented by one Mr. Bob Dylan here on Earth.

Eick: It was a simple way, I thought, to communicate clearly the idea [the show is not set in the future.] That this is a story about a culture that gave birth to ours. ... ...but we were thinking about it that far back, that music would be a great way to say to the audience that it follows [a] cyclical theme of "this has all happened before and will happen again." This culture is the one that gave birth to ours, so that all the colloquialisms and all the slang that you hear and the behavior that is idiosyncratic—playing cards or whatever—we get that from them, not the other way around.

As to Eick's comment:  :towubbahuh:

I know they had to use a song we knew to make their point clear -- picking a favorite song of theirs, one with meaning applicable to the story. Otherwise, it could have easily been just any song, even an instrumental. But is it even plausible to think a song could survive 150,000 years? Especially with no recordable technology? Ooh, it has yet to be seen...
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

geogal

Quote from: Pearl@32 on March 24, 2009, 10:14:24 AM

As to Eick's comment:  :towubbahuh:

I know they had to use a song we knew to make their point clear -- picking a favorite song of theirs, one with meaning applicable to the story. Otherwise, it could have easily been just any song, even an instrumental. But is it even plausible to think a song could survive 150,000 years? Especially with no recordable technology? Ooh, it has yet to be seen...

Or maybe Dylan has a Six in his head ;)

Maybe their point is that some of this is just... genetic memory.  That certain things are ingrained not in our conscious mind, but in the memories of the thousands of generations before us (memory really is only chemistry and biology).  How many cultures have similarities in their religion/culture when there was little to no cross-pollination (pyramids in Egypt and in Central America). 

Then there's the concept of the music of the spheres:  celestial movement as a function of music.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musica_universalis

Pearl@32

That is an interesting concept, and that it spans time. :)

I understand it, but I'm just fed up with their crap.
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.