• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

One Second After

Started by ILJ, July 01, 2009, 01:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILJ

http://onesecondafter.com/index.html

One Second After by William R. Forstchen

http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765317583
From Publishers Weekly
In this entertaining apocalyptic thriller from Forstchen (We Look Like Men of War), a high-altitude nuclear bomb of uncertain origin explodes, unleashing a deadly electromagnetic pulse that instantly disables almost every electrical device in the U.S. and elsewhere in the world. Airplanes, most cars, cellphones, refrigerators—all are fried as the country plunges into literal and metaphoric darkness. History professor John Matherson, who lives with his two daughters in a small North Carolina town, soon figures out what has happened. Aided by local officials, Matherson begins to deal with such long-term effects of the disaster as starvation, disease and roving gangs of barbarians. While the material sometimes threatens to veer into jingoism, and heartstrings are tugged a little too vigorously, fans of such classics as Alas, Babylon and On the Beachwill have a good time as Forstchen tackles the obvious and some not-so-obvious questions the apocalypse tends to raise. Newt Gingrich provides a foreword. (Mar.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Has anybody else read this?  While what he describes in the book is pretty much a worst-case scenario (small town, little agriculture, zero preparation), there's a lot that rings true.  I had given no thought to what happens to hospitals and nursing homes should this (God forbid!) ever happen.  And I'd be miserable without communication.

We've always stockpikled some supplies against a hurricanes and the like.  Now I'm thinking a Faraday cage is a good addition to that.
The emperor is naked!  NNNAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKEEEEEDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!

TinkTanker

Neal Boortz talked about this several weeks ago; thanks for jogging my memory. I need to pick this up.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Spooky

QuoteIn this entertaining apocalyptic thriller from James Cameron (Terminator, Titanic), a high-altitude nuclear bomb of uncertain origin explodes, unleashing a deadly electromagnetic pulse that instantly disables almost every electrical device in the U.S. and elsewhere in the world. Airplanes, most cars, cellphones, refrigerators—all are fried as the country plunges into literal and metaphoric darkness. In Gillette, Wyoming, a 9 year old Transgenic girl escapes from Manticore and makes her way to Seattle.... You know the rest of the story. 

;)
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.