• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Kindle for the iPhone/Touch

Started by eforhan, March 17, 2009, 12:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

I haven't tried it, but Amazon offers "Kindle for iPhone". 

Or, there's a free ebook reader which allows for downloading and reading thousands of royalty-free stories:  http://www.lexcycle.com/

Plus, it's backlit. :headbang: :haha:

TinkTanker

I tried the Kindle app and opted not to use it, as they expect you to purchase the media.  :-\

Stanza, however, gies you complete instructions on how to convert virtually any format to one that can easily be uploaded then downloaded to your iPhone or iPod touch for easy reading. I enjoyed reading a Stephen King last night in bed with the lights out on my backlit iPod touch. I can see why Spokky enjoys his Kindle so much (but I enjoy mine backlit  :P)
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Spooky

Mobipocket Creator is great for converting files to eBooks. And it's free! And no it's not back lit. Sorry.  :rofl:

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/default.asp?Language=EN

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Spooky

Quote from: TinkTanker on March 18, 2009, 08:41:52 AM
I tried the Kindle app

the Kindle app is great for Kindle users who have an iPhone. You can sync the books on each device. If you are reading on the iPhone and decide to start reading on your Kindle, the book will open up to the page you stopped at on the iPhone or vice versa. Pretty nifty.

TinkTanker

Quote from: Spooky on March 18, 2009, 10:32:54 AM
Quote from: TinkTanker on March 18, 2009, 08:41:52 AM
I tried the Kindle app

the Kindle app is great for Kindle users who have an iPhone. You can sync the books on each device. If you are reading on the iPhone and decide to start reading on your Kindle, the book will open up to the page you stopped at on the iPhone or vice versa. Pretty nifty.

I made the mistake of showing it to Ann. She wants one soooo bad it isn't funny.

Spooky

Color has arrived to eBook readers (Japan only). Only $1017.35

http://www.kindlelicious.com/2009/03/future-arrives.html

/not back lit

Spooky

Discovery Communications sues Amazon over Kindle + Kindle 2

Posted on March 17, 2009 by switch11

Discovery is coming after Amazon and the Kindle. Discovery Channel's founder John S. Hendricks was issued U.S. Patent 7,298,851 B1 on Nov 21st, 2007. The patent covers an Electronic Book Security and Copyright Protection System.  It was filed on September 21st, 1999.

The Press Release at Discovery Commmunications' website is rather sparse. They are asking for a Jury Trial, and in addition to the Kindle and Kindle 2, they are targeting the operation of the Amazon.com website (a strategic mistake in my opinion).

Here are some of the interesting things in the Patent -

1. Diagrams showing the eBook Reader, and its menus. 
   2. Figures that describe the components including a camera.
   3. Figures explaining the encryption and decryption processes.
   4. Lots of figures explaining the distribution channels and methodologies.
   5. There are, in all, 171 different things that are covered under the patent. Discovery communications has literally tried to create a blanket cover for everything it could think of.

Here are a few reasons that Discovery's patent might not apply to the Kindle -

1. There were no attempts (as far as I know) by Discovery to protect its rights before right now. This looks bad since there have been eReaders for quite a while, and even Kindle has been out since Nov 2007. It really does seem as if Discovery waited until a company was profitable before bringing in their patent.
   2. It talks about encryption using one of DES, PKZIP, and BLOWFISH encryption algorithms. 
   3. The methods and distribution systems shown in the patent are very specific. This means that there might very well be considerable differences between how the Kindle actually works and whats covered in the patent.
   4. To the best of my knowledge, Discovery never created an eBook Reader.
   5. The Patent covers a lot of functionality that the Kindle does not cover i.e. TV Guides, Weather, Cox News Service, and so forth.
   6. It uses a LCD display.
   7. There was a built in video distribution system (at least it seems that way to me). So it's really a much more expansive device than the Kindle.

Overall, this seems like classic opportunism to me - Discovery has never created an eBook Reader, and they're suing Amazon now that Amazon's Kindle/Kindle 2 are a big hit. This quote from their spokeswoman says it all (courtesy CNet) -

When asked whether Discovery could build an e-book reader, the company's spokeswoman said "We are only focused on the Kindle at this time."

Filed under: kindle | Tagged: discovery va amazon, kindle legal

http://ireaderreview.com/2009/03/17/discovery-communications-sues-amazon-kindle-kindle-2/

Eric

Quote from: Spooky on March 18, 2009, 02:37:28 PM
Color has arrived to eBook readers (Japan only). Only $1017.35

http://www.kindlelicious.com/2009/03/future-arrives.html

/not back lit

The Touch is cheaper, backlit... and full o'color.   :loloeo:

Granted, it's much smaller... *ahem* "more portable".   :haha:

(Don't mind me; I just like pushing Spokky's buttons)

TinkTanker

I was really surprised to see how affordable the content was for the Kindle. Most books are ten bucks or less.