• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Dueling Covers

Started by Eric, August 10, 2019, 09:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Inspired by Pearl's message in the Disturbed thread:

Quote from: Pearl@32 on August 08, 2019, 06:44:39 PM
We could start a whole thread on "dueling covers," which I actually think about all the time because there are multitudes of covers. I kinda categorize covers as 1) the original is only the best ["(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"], 2) the cover is so much better ["All Along the Watchtower" or "Blinded by the Light"], 3) the cover is shite [take your pick], or 4) the cover elevates the original and both have their own merits ["American Woman" or "Hard to Handle" - have you heard Otis Redding's version - ooh dawg!].

Good cover, though the original seems a bit more haunting:

https://youtu.be/9XaS93WMRQQ

Not really a cover of a band, but it's a version I love of an old Irish traditional song:

https://youtu.be/wsrvmNtWU4E

Spooky

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Spooky

Spooky

Eric

I like this more than Michael Jackson's original:

https://youtu.be/CDl9ZMfj6aE

Spooky

Pearl@32

Quote from: Spooky on August 11, 2019, 09:34:34 PM
Heart - Stairway to Heaven at the Kennedy Center Honors

I had the luxury of seeing Heart on their Bad Animals tour (the follow-up to their 80s self-titled smash). They jammed out with "Black Dog" and Ann sang it like it ain't no thing. Pipes.

Thank God they are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. *PatBenatar2020*

Chris Cornell inducted them, and Ann and Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains) performed "Black Hole Sun" last year as a tribute.
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

Pearl@32

Johnny Cash was pretty prolific toward the end of his life. He met his match in Rick Rubin who produced the albums with the big CASH letters on the fronts and launched a lot of great covers (they were the American recordings).
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

Pearl@32

Quote from: Eric on August 12, 2019, 03:59:26 PM
I like this more than Michael Jackson's original:

You would.  :neener:

Pearl@32