• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by Rosie, August 13, 2011, 10:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie

Quote from: TinkTanker on August 13, 2011, 02:30:02 PM
So why is everyone nuts about this book? They like looking at a bleak, brutal medieval world. What do people like about it? Does something happen soon? Does it get exciting? Is there any romance and humor?

It is grim and gritty and dark and if that isn't for you, you might not like this. Some people juggle geese.

I tried to read Fellowship of the Ring and gave up a third the way through. I asked Ann if anything ever happened and she asked if meant anything bad happened to the hobbits and I said no, do any events ever occur? So far, all that had happened was they walked and sang and ate and sang about eating and sang about walking.

Well I definitely juggle geese and I usually don't follow th crowd but it's been such a diverse group endorsign it I thought I should give it a try. I made a deal to read 200 pages. If I still don't like it then I will stop.

I love books that grab me and I have to pull away to do whatever I need to do. This is not that kind of book yet.

I agree with Fellowship of the Rings, I quit before they even got out of the shire, up this way down that way, lets sleep by this tree that swallows you? They almost made it out and then were sucked back in and that is when I gave up.

FYI- I am going to Dragon*con!!! What are you and Ann up to Labor Day weekend? There's a parade at 10am Saturday morning.

AdmiralDigby

I just want to post this .

http://gameofthrones.net/faiths-of-westeros/56-the-seven.html

It explains the seven gods of Westeros .

The Old Gods ( who have been supplanted by the seven )

http://gameofthrones.net/faiths-of-westeros/55-the-old-gods.html

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

TinkTanker

Next book due out in early 2013

[spoiler][/spoiler]
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: TinkTanker on September 22, 2011, 05:57:10 PM
Next book due out in early 2013

[spoiler][/spoiler]

:haha:

And if RR Martin is ready by 2013 I'll eat my hat .
( which will be made of cheesecake )

;)

Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Spooky

77% through book two and... Ahhhhhhh!

[spoiler]Bran and Rickon!  :-\ Greyjoy needs to be thrown off the Wall.  >:D

I've only read that far so don't tell me more.[/spoiler]
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Spooky

Done with book 2...

[spoiler]ai ya you Martin!!!! Making me think Bran and Rickon were dead! ai ya you!!! Thanks for killing Theon though. I'd had enough of that smug shithead ben tiansheng de yidui rou Chuckhole.[/spoiler]

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Spooky on October 06, 2011, 11:22:27 PM
Done with book 2...

[spoiler]ai ya you Martin!!!! Making me think Bran and Rickon were dead! ai ya you!!! Thanks for killing Theon though. I'd had enough of that smug shithead ben tiansheng de yidui rou Chuckhole.[/spoiler]

:D
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Eric

I must finish this book today so I can read spoilerz.

I'm such a slow reader these days, though.  As a teen, I'd have devoured the whole series by now, if not perhaps a couple others.

Spooky

32% of book 3 and all I can say is, "Oh know she didn't!"

[spoiler]I am 32% done with book three and read the best chapter in this series yet. Dany has certainly grown from that meek little girl her brother used to push around. I knew when she bought the Unsullied what she was going to do with them and, even knowing, reading about is was pretty exciting. How could those slavers be so stupid as to sell their entire defense force to her. I guess their lust for a fiery dragon got the best of them. Well they got their fiery dragon... well mostly the fire part. LOL  [/spoiler]

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Spooky on October 09, 2011, 10:39:33 PM
32% of book 3 and all I can say is, "Oh know she didn't!"

[spoiler]I am 32% done with book three and read the best chapter in this series yet. Dany has certainly grown from that meek little girl her brother used to push around. I knew when she bought the Unsullied what she was going to do with them and, even knowing, reading about is was pretty exciting. How could those slavers be so stupid as to sell their entire defense force to her. I guess their lust for a fiery dragon got the best of them. Well they got their fiery dragon... well mostly the fire part. LOL  [/spoiler]

;)
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze